Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2022, 07:33 AM   #21

We recently went from 2 12v dealer supplied "deep cycle" batteries to 2 6V true deep cycle (Trojan Golf Cart) batteries and we gained amp hours and longevity. Should have done this years ago!
Old 09-18-2022, 08:25 AM   #22

R

First purchase should be a battery monitor with alarms etc. no flying while blind!

Identify major loads. To boondock normally with two batteries generall requires a gas/electric fridge. These run forever on a pair of lp tanks.

Cpap’s are big users. Furnaces use a ton of power. Any 120 volt ac item uses a ton of power.

The captain of the ship needs to understand this thoroughly! You are the load sheding device.

Gc2 batteries have a footprint of smaller batteries but, are taller.

Inexpensive and have a 100% longer service life than car batteries.

With a battery monitor, two gc2 batteries and a generator you will be pretty golden.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryboondocker View Post
If you are looking to use your AC also, or wanting to camp longer than 3 or so days, then just buy a generator and don’t even bother upgrading batteries. You would need the generator to power your AC, plus it would charge your batteries at the same time.
We move a lot, because we work for uncle sam... so I can't say one summer to the next, what our needs are. We prefer not to have hot and humid summers, but it all depends on where we are living. However, even living across the north border of US, we have needed AC. So I think the decision is to buy a generator. For now, I am holding off until we learn where we might be headed next. There is a chance we could end up overseas again, where the camper will go in storage so no sense in buying a new gen that will end up moth balled. We may have one boondock trip in Oct. For that, I may just rent/borrow a small gen to charge up batteries so the furnace works at night.

Perhaps Generator go on sale for Christmas??
Old 09-19-2022, 11:39 AM   #24

We looked at the battery configurations and options. Two 6V in series, two 12V in parallel, a 100 ah Lithium and a proper charger.

The bottom line, we choose to keep the single 12V AGM battery configuration. Change all the 12V lights to LED bulbs. Add a Champion model 200951 generator and you will have the electricity to charge the battery and run the lights, and the air conditioner. Run the water heater on propane, the refrigerator on propane, and the AC on the generator.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:23 PM   #25

Your batteries are not ever going to run your air conditioning, that runs on 120v AC, unless you get a lot more battery capacity and at large enough inverter. I ran two 6V Interstate golf cart batteries in my small motorhome for years. They are adequate for boondocking for me, but I also have solar to charge them. From your comments, you may be best off with a generator. If you install a Softstart on your air conditioner (I have one, highly recommended), you can run the air conditioner from a 2000 watt generator. I would recommend that approach.

Good luck.
Rick

Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
and
Leisure Travel Vans U24MB
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:25 PM   #26

Oh, by the way. If you are interested in buying my 6V batteries, they are for sale. However, you would have to figure out how to pick them up in Wisconsin.

Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
and
Leisure Travel Vans U24MB
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
I searched, but didn't know exactly the search terms to use. I know this has been discussed at length, but I am hoping to get some direction. I know we killed our OE battery staying just two nights. I am hoping to get two, maybe three nights before we need to worry.

As I see it, my options are
1. Add a 2nd 12v battery in parallel (but I don't know that I have the space for that yet).

2. Convert to 6V (but I really don't know much about this concept and what am I gaining by doing so?)

3. Forget all this and buy a generator to charge the battery, but the Gen I'd want would have to be big enough to run the AC, which then gets quite expensive.

I am trying to compare effort and cost to see what makes most sense for right now.

I appreciate your advice!
Adding 2 6v batteries will give you the power of almost 3 12v (generally) batteries.

Adding a generator (in addition to an additional 12v battery or 2 6v batteries) would be a really good idea for boondocking. The generator (if you buy a good one) will last a lot longer (in most instances) than the batteries will. Plus, the Gen will give you peace of mind that you will have power at all times (except during quiet hours).
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:59 PM   #28

If we don't need A/C, we can go for weeks without a generator. We use sleeping bags at night (it is called camping) so the furnace doesn't run down the batteries much. We can run the fridge, the lights, the TV, and recharge with watts of solar. We live in the Southwest, so solar works well here. I've heard that 2000 watt generators may not run your A/C at higher elevations, even with a soft start. Carburated engines lose power at elevation.

I was able to move my propane tanks forward a little and put a trailer box from Harbor Freight on the tongue. It holds two 6v golf cart batteries, and leaves room for a few tools. I changed the lock to match all of the other locks on my trailer. Golf cart batteries are the cheapest option, and work well for us.

I purchased a 2000 watt Honda generator at a yard sale, but haven't tried to run the A/C with it. I don't bother taking it on trips, because we've never needed it. We camp in the mountains mostly, so A/C isn't often needed.

X2 on getting a battery monitor with a shunt, so you know exactly how much power is going in and out of your battery. Solar power is great also for keeping your battery charged while in storage. Install a battery disconnect at the battery, so you don't have things like the radio presets and CO/Propane detector draining your battery in storage.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:54 PM   #29

Generator option

This is a “for what it’s worth” comment for consideration.

Our trailer uses dual 95 A-H lead acid batteries and after upgrading all the lights to LED bulbs, except for the water pump, we can go 3 days before the batteries reach critical. We tried the Harbor Freight 100W solar panels ($149) but charging took forever to charge (dual 95A-H batteries, 100w panels operating at 80% efficiency = approx 6 amps charging current; barely enough as a trickle charge)

So our solution was dual 2000W Champion dual fuel generators. Why 2 Champions?

1) $750 each vs $2000 each for the same size Hondas (champions are only about 1-2 db louder than the Honda)

2) 45 lbs each vs a 130-140 lb 3500W monster (my back can handle 45# lifted into the back of my truck)

3) With one gen. running on low power, there is plenty of power to fully charge the batteries. Two generators with the parallel adaptor, you get 4000W peak, enough to run a single A/C unit (Camping World did suggest adding a SoftStart unit to our A/C unit to make it easier on the generators).

4) these are also our B/U gens for the house when So. Cal Edison is playing the power shut down games; enough power to run the refrigerators and some house necessities.

The dual fuel option (gas and propane) is a nicety as you don’t have to deal with gasoline and keeping an eye on the tank level(s) but we do take a 20% hit on performance using propane (for us, 1800W each or 3600W for when we run dual). In any case, that’s what works for us.
Robmawer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:50 PM   #30

Well jeez. This is our configuration and we ALWAYS boondock during the summer.

I have 4 6v GC2 batteries that I purchased at Menards for $104 each.
Have a 2019 trailer that was "solar ready" to which I installed a 30 amp solar controller and have 4 100 watt solar panels that were purchased at Harbor Freight. Each panel was $90 and the controller was $110.

I took the stupid 20lb tanks off and put dual 40lb tanks on.

We boondock for about a month at a time and I've yet to have an issue with the 12V power or the propane.

I will usually do a sponge bath a couple of times a week, but the wife will take a shower at least a couple of times a week.

We have more issues with the holding tanks filling up than anything else.

And, for that I grabbed a 28 gallon tank and a rear rack with ramp to take to the nearest dump station.

Bottom line, I probably have about $1000 or so into all the equipment to boondock without worrying about battery or propane issues.

I also have a 3500 watt gen that I take with us, but have had it for about 3 years and it has 4 hours on it. Never need it.

Yes, I'm planning on a SoftStart for the AC just so when we have the 90 plus days, we can choose to run the AC. Normally we are never inside the trailer and sitting outside in the shade. But, I figure I should do that so the wife can kick back in the trailer if she would like and have it cool.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:08 AM   #31

Within reasonable limits you will definitely need a generator to run your AC if you are off hookups. But you still want a good battery set up. Maybe some solar. When you do not NEED the generator for AC, you will get very sick of hearing it for hours daily to charge batteries.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:39 AM   #32

No matter what you do your going to need a generator. Spend the money and get an inverter gen with remote start so your wife can start it when you are gone somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...1-1e5b3de13370
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
After a discussion with my wife, I think we're going to target a Generator. I started down this path before, but reality set in that we aren't going to get as much camping done this year as we had hoped. We have one big one we're planning in Oct, but I think we will have power for all but a couple nights.

I agree that I may very well need a soft start, but we are not generally power hungry people, and have rarely used our microwave. Mainly the AC and fridge. And throw in the water heater as needed as well.

If you have a Coleman Mach unit then you should be able to download the data sheet for your unit to size the generator appropriately. If you don’t use a soft start then you will need to size the generator based on locked rotor amps or LRA and additional load that may be running at the same time.
phil435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:01 PM   #34

Thanks! I do not recall what unit I have. I will have to look, but am planning on a soft start either way.

Because I just picked up this dual fuel Champion 2500 for a good deal:
Old 10-03-2022, 12:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
We recently went from 2 12v dealer supplied "deep cycle" batteries to 2 6V true deep cycle (Trojan Golf Cart) batteries and we gained amp hours and longevity. Should have done this years ago!

Those are great batteries. A suggestion: get yourself a remote watering kit from Flow-Rite. They are so convenient, you'll more likely never have a low water incident. That combined with controlling depth of discharge and you'll enjoy many, many years of service from those. The Amp-Hours of that combo can be matched with certain group 31 12V assemblies, but the remote watering kits are really only for the GC2 platform without going full custom.

2015 Sunseeker 2500TS
Magnum 3000VA Hybrid Inverter w/AGS, Relion Lithium w/Victron BMV-712, 600W 24V Solar, 5 Star tune, Hellwig Bars, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo springs, On-board SSD PLEX server, MOFI cellular router, Full HD video distribution w/Apple TV's...
IBEW Local 551 Foreman
roblombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblombardo View Post
A suggestion: get yourself a remote watering kit from Flow-Rite. They are so convenient, you'll more likely never have a low water incident.
I've had 2 6-volt GC batteries installed for three years. I check water level every 6 months. I had to add water once, two years ago. Why are my batteries not boiling off or evaporating water like it seems many people claim is such a problem?
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I've had 2 6-volt GC batteries installed for three years. I check water level every 6 months. I had to add water once, two years ago. Why are my batteries not boiling off or evaporating water like it seems many people claim is such a problem?

I see you're inciting a response.

Water access and discipline vary, as do converters.

If low water exposes the plates only once, damage has been done.

2015 Sunseeker 2500TS
Magnum 3000VA Hybrid Inverter w/AGS, Relion Lithium w/Victron BMV-712, 600W 24V Solar, 5 Star tune, Hellwig Bars, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo springs, On-board SSD PLEX server, MOFI cellular router, Full HD video distribution w/Apple TV's...
IBEW Local 551 Foreman
Old 10-03-2022, 01:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblombardo View Post
Those are great batteries. A suggestion: get yourself a remote watering kit from Flow-Rite. They are so convenient, you'll more likely never have a low water incident. That combined with controlling depth of discharge and you'll enjoy many, many years of service from those. The Amp-Hours of that combo can be matched with certain group 31 12V assemblies, but the remote watering kits are really only for the GC2 platform without going full custom.
Great tip! Did some poking around and looks like the pro RV kit for these 2 6v batteries will be around $70. Considering the cost of the batteries, it's worth it.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
Great tip! Did some poking around and looks like the pro RV kit for these 2 6v batteries will be around $70. Considering the cost of the batteries, it's worth it.

I used my watering kit for 20+ years through different coaches until I converted to Lithium. Definitely paid off.

2015 Sunseeker 2500TS
IBEW Local 551 Foreman
Old 10-03-2022, 02:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post

My bet would be moderate climate, light usage and a charger that is not charging them too hot (not high voltage). And mostly good luck.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, battery, light, upgrade