Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2022, 06:59 PM   #1

Solar controller alpha wolf 23rd

Hi everyone.
New forum user. I looked through the other threads but didn't see an answer. When I look at the solar controller, when it's plugged into shore power, there's a picture of solar panels with a arrow pointing to the battery, then a arrow pointing to a light bulb. When it's unplugged it's just a picture of the battery pointing to a light bulb. My battery isn't charging unless it's plugged in. Any suggestions? We just got the trailer last week.
garyinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:24 PM   #2

Without knowing all the particulars check the connections at the controller to verify the panels are connected, also on some trailers there are fuses from the solar panels. Find them and see if they are good

Good Luck
Gsalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:41 PM   #3

The wires from the controller go straight into the wall, the green and white wire on the battery are connected. I dont see any blown fuses or tripped breakers. The 10a fuse at the battery is good. The picture of the solar panels with the arrow pointing at the battery, only comes on when it's plugged in. I can take it to the dealer, trying to save a 3hr drive round trip.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:44 AM   #4

I'm having similar issues with our solar juice pack. On ours I found an inline fuse under the frame that was running between the panels and the controller. I've had to replace that fuse three times now! It was causing the battery to not charge when it wasn't on shore power, but it also caused the controller screen to go dead and the light on the wall next to it was out too. Since your screen is still showing it may not even be related.
Jdcml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:42 AM   #5

What's strange, is it will randomly charge. After not charging all day yesterday, I plugged into shore power to charge the batteries and unplugged it this morning and the panel is now showing charging.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:51 PM   #6

So what I’ve noticed is that if you have a fully charged battery after having been plugged in for a while and your at say 13.2 volts. Your solar charger is doing nothing. The juice pack is a 50watt panel. Once your battery drains down with the fridge on or whatever draw is on your battery down to a certain level. The panel will show its charging. It’s basically just a panel to maintain your battery to 12v. Not much over that.
I’m sure there is math that can be done to give exact numbers but I don’t have them.
The light bulb icon is just telling you that the solar panel is putting out voltage to the power wire on the controller.
Forest River just left this wire unconnected. You could possibly take your controller off and hook this wire to a 12v plug and charge a phone from solar solar if you wanted.
The light that is in the storage compartment is connected to the red wire comming from the solar charger and to the battery. If your 10amp fuse under the frame by the front of the trailer is blown or missing. This light will not work.
Bricklayer123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpha wolf, controller, solar