Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2021, 09:19 PM   #1

Someone Stole My Spare Tire

Anyone ever have your spare tire stolen? Somebody stole mine and haphazardly bolted a flat Toyota wheel and tire on the rear mount of my Cherokee 274 DBH. I did not think I needed to put a lock on it. They left the original bolts on the bumper... I am fairly confident someone lifted it while in the storage lot. I am wary of leaving the Hensley hitch installed while in the storage lot.

I know the tire size is ST205/75R15 and the 15 wheel has 5 x 4-1/2 lug pattern. Do you guys know the load rating? I can't find it on the other tires.

Thanks!
M5Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Maniac View Post
Anyone ever have your spare tire stolen? Somebody stole mine and haphazardly bolted a flat Toyota wheel and tire on the rear mount of my Cherokee 274 DBH. I did not think I needed to put a lock on it. They left the original bolts on the bumper... I am fairly confident someone lifted it while in the storage lot. I am wary of leaving the Hensley hitch installed while in the storage lot.

I know the tire size is ST205/75R15 and the 15 wheel has 5 x 4-1/2 lug pattern. Do you guys know the load rating? I can't find it on the other tires.

Thanks!
You only need to lock up the things you want to keep.

"Secure Storage" has joined the list of Oxymorons.

If you can't lock it up and can't store RV at home where you can watch it, then remove anything that might be stolen from the outside like spares, batteries and maybe even sewer hose. Times have changed and are getting worse.

As for tire load range, if you can't see it in the big letters, look carefully near the wheel. Often there are smaller letters molded into the tire. Also look t the sticker on the side where weights are shown along with tire inflation pressure. If the load range isn't shown, if the pressure shown is 50 Psi it's a load range C. 65 psi should be a Load Range D

BTW, The sticker I mentioned is yellow and should be on the street side at the front.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:15 AM   #3

Mike nailed it, you should be able to get the proper tire the way he described.

Sorry someone stole your spare, and I would certainly not leave items of value in the camper at the storage lot. I would mention it to the storage lot owner, it is possible they have video coverage.

If the thief left a Toyota tire and wheel, perhaps they were dumb enough to mount them on their car!
Old 05-05-2021, 06:20 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Yep any time you store something in a lot if you don't remove items that are easily removed they will disappear. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-26
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:33 AM   #5

And do a couple grand worth of damage breaking in. Last fall they hit our "video cam" protected storage area. Cutting cats off motorhomes and breaking into Tt's. They peeled my door open and broke a slide window to get into the rear. Only thing they got was a good pair of Nikon binoculars.
Worth 20 bucks in a hock shop.

I leave the door unlocked now. Took 4 months because of covid to get parts and repairs done..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #6

I found the label this morning, it's load D. It was in large outlined letters, not what I was looking for last night with my phone.

Thanks for replies. A spare tire is nothing compared to 1100Mike's situation. Just, wow.

Nonetheless, I am hitting the road without a spare. Nobody has one in stock around me that's load D. No risk, no reward, right? ��

Wish me luck!
M5Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

You'll be fine. It's only when you don't have a spare that you'll need it!
It's stories like this that make me feel a little better living in a low crime area in NJ.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
It's stories like this that make me feel a little better living in a low crime area in NJ.
And being able to store my camper on the side of my house!
Old 05-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
The shame is it's a rural farming community. Nothing is safe anywhere..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #10

it would appear that your local tractor supply shows a compatible wheel and tire in stock if your trailer is a 5 lug wheel: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...el-st205-75d15 if you set your store to bristow VA (pulled from your about me part of your forum profile) it shows available for pickup today...
Bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #11

Just wondering...

Quote:

Thanks!
Just wondering how you knew the replacement was from a Toyota.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:54 PM   #12

At the storage lot I was previously at, someone went around and stole batteries. I had removed mine, so I didn't loose anything, but there was a lot of finger print dust all over my battery case and front of trailer. It was a gated lot with high fence, but there was a lot more stored there the just rv's. We moved to a new storage lot after that. It's at an rv park, so lots more people around and it's away from the main road.
riengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:20 PM   #13

Quote:
I found the label this morning, it's load D. It was in large outlined letters, not what I was looking for last night with my phone.

Thanks for replies. A spare tire is nothing compared to 1100Mike's situation. Just, wow.

Nonetheless, I am hitting the road without a spare. Nobody has one in stock around me that's load D. No risk, no reward, right? ��

Wish me luck!
Sorry this happened to you!! The rims for most spares are steal. I bought an extra spare tire and rim from a local tire dealer no issues. I hope you can do the same.
My daughters hybrid was broken into. They must of had a key to the end, leading me to believe it was an inside job. They then cut the fabric. Only to find nothing of any value inside.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #14

While we were shopping at Deming, NM, Wal Mart, Someone stole our wiper blades off of our 2006 Jeep Liberty Toad. Last year, we had our lawn chairs stolen sometime in the night as we were camped at Montana Corps of Engineers, But, they didn't steal our love of the outdoors or our many camping trips. Price we pay for our wanderlust for our beautiful country. Safe & Happy Travels
Frankiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:49 PM   #15
Tundra 2014

Storage

In my storage spot, one of the guys was parking his Ford F-250 diesel w/ his trailer. They cut his DPF off, cutting all 9 sensor cables. Total loss was $4,000, good he had insurance. Not something you could stick under your arm and walk off w/. Gives me a bad feeling it has to someone that keeps their RV there, 12' fence w/ barb wire and each person has a separate code.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by riengle View Post
At the storage lot I was previously at, someone went around and stole batteries. I had removed mine, so I didn't loose anything, but there was a lot of finger print dust all over my battery case and front of trailer. It was a gated lot with high fence, but there was a lot more stored there the just rv's. We moved to a new storage lot after that. It's at an rv park, so lots more people around and it's away from the main road.
Sounds like you were lucky not to be a prime suspect! I'll bet your fingerprints were all over your battery box!

I am very grateful to live in a nice, very redneck, rural area and can park my trailer in my driveway. None of my vehicles are locked, the trailer is not locked, nothing chained down. If anybody messed with my stuff, my neighbors would wake me up with the sound of g****ire.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #17
Trailer Park Supervisor

Don't know if it's coincidence, but it seems like a lot of these tales of woe originate in the western half of the country.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #18

BTW, The sticker I mentioned is yellow and should be on the street side at the front

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
You only need to lock up the things you want to keep.

"Secure Storage" has joined the list of Oxymorons.

If you can't lock it up and can't store RV at home where you can watch it, then remove anything that might be stolen from the outside like spares, batteries and maybe even sewer hose. Times have changed and are getting worse.

As for tire load range, if you can't see it in the big letters, look carefully near the wheel. Often there are smaller letters molded into the tire. Also look t the sticker on the side where weights are shown along with tire inflation pressure. If the load range isn't shown, if the pressure shown is 50 Psi it's a load range C. 65 psi should be a Load Range D

BTW, The sticker I mentioned is yellow and should be on the street side at the front.
"BTW, The sticker I mentioned is yellow and should be on the street side at the front." Actually, if the camper is in the middle of the road, both sides are the street side... The yellow sticker is usually on the Non-Door Side of the camper.
SpaceGuy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Isn't that an oxymoron, low crime are in New Jersey ??
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #20

Secure storage

Secure storage is only as secure as you make things, bottom line is locks keep honest people honest, you can lock as much as you want but if they have time they will get it. Sorry for the dose of reality but these are words tha came from a fiends of mine father who was in law enforcement.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire