Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 07:54 PM   #1

SOS - 2021 Wolfpup Leaf Spring Failure - Need info in order to get new springs!

Welp, I'm in a pickle guys and could use some help!

I tried searching first but only found threads complaining about spring sag and a lot of alluding too many people having spring failures. I'm out of warranty and don't want to go back to the shitty dealership I got this thing from anyways.

So I've got a 2021 Wolfpup 16BHS. Leaf spring failed. I was able to limp my way to a safe spot to stay the night. I can probably limp a bit further down the road to a RV campground and stay the night and try and swap out the leafsprings.

There's a place I can go get leaf springs, even heavier duty ones, I just need some specs as they have no information on the camper nor any way to look it up. Any specs you guys could provide would be most helpful and would allow me to get new springs. Infact, I'd love to get heavier duty springs if at all possible!

Also not sure how to go about replacing this roadside either. I've upgraded the stabilizers and they're all 5000lb stabilizers, which the camper weighs less than... but I'm guessing though I can't just pick this puppy up with the stabilizers and swap everything out given the countless warnings saying don't lift your setup with stabilizers, haha. Any ideas there as well on replacing these leaf springs one a time would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	240788935_3123199818001619_590956489367949881_n.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	262426   Click image for larger version

Name:	241055436_3003186196610418_6567243571284063622_n.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	262427  
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:36 PM   #2

NOT Lifting by stabilizers really has nothing really has nothing to do with jack capacity but rather the stress created in trailer body by shifting load from center where axles are located to corners.

Can cause warping where door doesn't operate correctly as well as possible body damage.

As for springs? Try z local NAPA store.

Replacement is fairly simple. Jack up by frame, remove nuts on axle u-bolts, remove bolts at each end of spring.

Reverse with new spring in place.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:51 PM   #3

Okay, I figured it was something like that both for not using stabilizers, and a simple enough swap.

What springs do I tell them theough? There's surely some specs. I know if I call autozone they're going to want year/make/model of car and not be able to identify what I've got since it's not a car!

I'm not really setup to jack up the frame unfortunately. Probably worth buying a bottle jack and a stand so I can at least do one side of the rig at a time?

Also not sure if the spring in that second picture is also toast or not... seems like it though given the frame is resting on it.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I have to ask... we're those spring packs moved from the bottom of the axle to new spring perches on the top of the axle?

Seems there's some kind of a threaded spacer between the perches and they look somewhat out of alignment.

Has the suspension had prior work done?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I have to ask... we're those spring packs moved from the bottom of the axle to new spring perches on the top of the axle?

Seems there's some kind of a threaded spacer between the perches and they look somewhat out of alignment.

Has the suspension had prior work done?
Hey there, yes I paid the dealer I got the RV from to flip the axle for more clearance. They used a specific kit for it supposedly.

I don't trust them enough to repair it. I had several other warranty issues after this they totally mickey moused and then tried to tell me were normal and were clearly not. Even if it was their fault they WILL find a reason to tell me it's not their fault and refuse to take service, ontop of which they'd take weeks to tell me this so I don't want the headache.

I'm really hoping someone can get me the spring pack dimensions. That would really help me call around tomorrow!
Old 09-07-2021, 10:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post

I'm really hoping someone can get me the spring pack dimensions. That would really help me call around tomorrow!
I have a 2021 16BHS Black Label, but I have the Adventure Package. I don't think that changes too much. What measurements do you need?

Pics of my spring axle set up attached.

Attachment 262442Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210327_175517650.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	262443Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210327_175519831.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	262444
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:22 PM   #7

Oh wow, your spring pack is way beefier than mine! 4 leafs on yours, mine had 3!

If you could spot a part number on there that would really help me out.

Dimensions are hard to explain to measure, but this video sums it up better than I can:
Old 09-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #8

Actually know what, there's no way to reasonably ask you to get that, haha.

I guess best I can do is call forest river or some forest river dealers tomorrow, try and get information so I can get beefier springs.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Does your axle(s) have a tag on it anywhere?
Most do and the numbers on them indicate the weight rating.
Calling the mfg. of the axle (not FR) is whom I'd be contacting.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #10

Okay! Good call that Forest River was worthless. All they could get me was a part number and I could goto a forest river dealer and that's it... nothing else!

I called lippert, and they looked up the info from the tag on my axle, and I got the following info. Please note, this may not relate to what you have, but I figured I'd share the process I took incase it helps anyone else:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lippert-axle.png
Views:	514
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	262454  
Old 09-08-2021, 01:30 PM   #11

Too bad that's the three-leaf unit. Maybe call Lippert and ask for a compatible four-leaf unit.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #12

The flipping procedure put the larger support plate on top of the spring stack and a the shorter one on the bottom (also voided any warranty). No idea if this was the cause of failure. Your springs also look very rusty for a one year old rig. Now you got me worried about my 2021 16FQ which weighs a little less than your 16BH.... The four leaf spring will be stiffer, but the single long spring on the top of the stack could be same. If that was the point of failure..... could have the same result in the future. Does anyone else know of this type of failure? Lastly, did you off-road or hit a few harsh holes / bumps?

Thanks
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:19 PM   #13

Well Lippert couldn't help me with springs but was ultra helpful about specs and diagrams to share with local resources in my search! HUGE fan of lippert now!

I was able to find a 4 leaf spring set locally that is good for 3000lbs each, so 6000lbs total. OEM on my rig is rated for 2000lbs each, so 4000lbs. I curently am sitting at 4800lbs, which I know exactly since I am am broken down at a weigh station and could weigh my rig hahaha. 2500lb springs would be better... but I just KNOW my wife could put an extra 200lbs of shoes and other stuff in here! Plus, no one can get 2500lb springs. They're all sold out and backordered since August and no one has any clue when they'll show up.

The Axle is rated at 4400lbs per Lippert, but that will vary based on springs used with it they say. More springs, can do a bit more. Couldn't give me more specifics unfortunately.

Forest River has axle stickered at 3900lbs, which per Lippert is something that an OEM manufacturer can request based on their axle and leaf spring combo. The low rating is likely because they used wimpy springs, but instead of ordering a ton of different axles it would appear Forest River used the same axle across all of their wolf pups and only varied the leaf springs. Probably cheaper to have a bunch of leftover leaf springs than leftover axles, and these axles probably carry over to more of their other models while they don't have a lot of carry over for wimpy axles.

I've read here of other single axle Wolfpup configurations such as the 4 spring setups are stickered as good up to 5500lbs. I've also read that they use the same axle, but obviously use the beefier 4 springs like PDuB-IA2MI posted.

According to lippert, there's some equation for calculating an axle rating that is based on spring rating, axle dimensions, and distance from hubs to springs. They couldn't share it nor plug in what I have, that's something determined between the engineers apparently.

Hey PDuB-IA2MI or anyone else with a 4 leaf leaf spring, I don't suppose you could share your axle sticker? That would help provide some insight!
Old 09-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
The flipping procedure put the larger support plate on top of the spring stack and a the shorter one on the bottom (also voided any warranty). No idea if this was the cause of failure. Your springs also look very rusty for a one year old rig. Now you got me worried about my 2021 16FQ which weighs a little less than your 16BH.... The four leaf spring will be stiffer, but the single long spring on the top of the stack could be same. If that was the point of failure..... could have the same result in the future. Does anyone else know of this type of failure? Lastly, did you off-road or hit a few harsh holes / bumps?

Thanks
So I didn't flip it, the Dealership did, so that helps with warranty. That said... I'm out of warranty and I found the warranty to be worthless anyways!

As for rust... no clue! I bought this March of 2020 so I'm more towards 1.5 years now I suppose. I was often down by the ocean in California, so some exposure to salty sea breeze might be a factor.

Yeah the single long spring was where this failed.Good point that going bigger in weight rating alone may not be the solution if the stress to this one particular point isn't enough.

I do "offroad" this rig, but not down anything so bold a Honda civic couldn't do it. I'm definitely not smashing this into potholes.

Failure was on a paved road, small bump. The camper did it's usual, hit, compress, bounce / rock, second slightly weaker bounce/rock as it all settles... but on that second bounce/orck it made a new "ping" sound and I wasn't quite certain what had happened... so I pulled over, and walked back to immediately see the spring dangling.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #15

Looking further into Wolfpups... Wolfpup 16PF has a 5000lb weight rating. Appears to have same axle? Called Wolfpup and of course they don't know and can't get that info... but do claim that "all of their wolf pups have the same 3500lb axle) which... seems strange given a lot of these are rated higher in GVWR, and notably higher from Lippert who provides the axles, but... they could be rating them at 3500lbs with the 4000lb springs (200lbs ea) and then adding in some presumptive tongue weight into that?

I'm going to keep digging!
Old 09-08-2021, 03:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Welp, I'm in a pickle guys and could use some help!

I tried searching first but only found threads complaining about spring sag and a lot of alluding too many people having spring failures. I'm out of warranty and don't want to go back to the shitty dealership I got this thing from anyways.

So I've got a 2021 Wolfpup 16BHS. Leaf spring failed. I was able to limp my way to a safe spot to stay the night. I can probably limp a bit further down the road to a RV campground and stay the night and try and swap out the leafsprings.

There's a place I can go get leaf springs, even heavier duty ones, I just need some specs as they have no information on the camper nor any way to look it up. Any specs you guys could provide would be most helpful and would allow me to get new springs. Infact, I'd love to get heavier duty springs if at all possible!

Also not sure how to go about replacing this roadside either. I've upgraded the stabilizers and they're all 5000lb stabilizers, which the camper weighs less than... but I'm guessing though I can't just pick this puppy up with the stabilizers and swap everything out given the countless warnings saying don't lift your setup with stabilizers, haha. Any ideas there as well on replacing these leaf springs one a time would be appreciated.
Take a picture of axle tag and call lippert. They will give you the exact measurement of spring length. Can order them from Lippert or get them locally. Had the same problem with my syrveyor 247bhds and replaced all 4 of mine with 2000k rated springs.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzac1954 View Post
Take a picture of axle tag and call lippert. They will give you the exact measurement of spring length. Can order them from Lippert or get them locally. Had the same problem with my syrveyor 247bhds and replaced all 4 of mine with 2000k rated springs.
Yep! Take a look at the drawing / diagram I posted that lippert shared. Worked wonders. Big fan of them after talking to them.

Going with 3000lb springs though.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #18

Quote:

Yeah the single long spring was where this failed.Good point that going bigger in weight rating alone may not be the solution if the stress to this one particular point isn't enough.
With the larger plate on top and the smaller plate on the bottom, the axle will travel closer to the frame when hitting bumps, as it has less support on the bottom (enabling it to travel higher). That's why we installed traction bars on leaf spring vehicles when we drag raced (to keep the axle from riding up).
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #19
RV There Yet?

I have a wolfpup 17RP with a 5200 lbs axle as its a toy hauler. they really are different axles. they use different size axles from the 3500 lbs ones and different bearings.

for your application, you can pretty much get a 26" long double eye spring in the rating of your choice. just measure the width and you should have a direct bolt in application.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
I have a wolfpup 17RP with a 5200 lbs axle as its a toy hauler. they really are different axles. they use different size axles from the 3500 lbs ones and different bearings.

for your application, you can pretty much get a 26" long double eye spring in the rating of your choice. just measure the width and you should have a direct bolt in application.
Are you a single axle setup? Could you get the sticker off of the axle? I'd love to compare!

I wouldn't be surprised at all Forest River doesn't know much about it's own components.... but it's worth knowing!

There's also no way my axle is 3500lbs, but forest river thinks so! Lipperts says 4400lbs, if not greater but couldn't share the equation used to determine an axles weight rating which apparently includes the life springs that are with it... hence mine was actually rate at 3900lbs.

Tags