Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2021, 06:37 PM   #1

Speaker issue - Speakers wired to power circuit from factory!

Hey All,

I have a 2021 274BRB, got it back in early April. We didn't notice that one of the interior speakers wasn't working until after we got it home. I moved the speaker to the other position and it wasn't working, so assumed it was dead. I contacted Driven, and after a couple e-mails back and forth to debug the situation... they sent a replacement right out (pleasant, easy to deal with).

I went to replace the speaker today... and still nothing coming out of the "bad" speaker position! It also got hot, really quick... which was odd given now sound, which usually indicates no power going to the speaker from the head unit. I got out my meter to verify continuity from the line going to the back of the head unit to the speaker and... nothing.

For giggles, I tested between the two wires going to the speaker and its was "hot", +12v going through the line! I double checked against a ground point and isolated that one of the lines was +12v.

For some crazy, stupid, unknown reason (likely a wire mixup)... Forest River wired the front speaker to the "amp bedroom" line from the fuse box, and joined it to additional wiring going toward the rear of the trailer using the speaker wire connectors. I think they thought they were running the speakers in series... but they messed up which wire was which (both lines were White-White/Black)!

So, turns out only the rear speaker was connected to the head unit via a long single cable. I took off the slot connectors at the "bad" speaker position, put on wire nuts to connect the two lines (and preventing someone from thinking they're speaker connections in the future) on the bunk bed rear circuit, and now it should be power only.

Good news is now I have a reason to run wire and fix the mono wiring set-up the Yahoo's at Forest River used instead of spending another $1 on wiring to do it right.

However, I don't see any easy way to get from the ceiling to the hole in the wall behind the head unit... has anyone done this before and know an easy way to run a fish-line or extra wire up there?
rodney23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:54 AM   #2

Wiring problems happen given the amount of rigs rolling off the line in a day. with that said you would think some sort of QA would catch that.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, factory, wire