Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #1

Standard queen mattress to memory foam mattress

I was thinking of changing the standard queen mattress 120lbs to a queen size memory foam mattress 43-55lbs. Would that shave about 60lbs from the tongue weight, since it's in the front? How hard is it to remove the standard queen from the trailer? Would it be worth it? Any help would be appreciated.

Alucke
Alucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #2

I can't speak to the weight reduction, but in my opinion, it is worth it simply for the comfort benefit. I changed the mattress out in my motorhome and love it.

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #3

I’d would let sleep comfort be the top priority. No way would I put in a less comfortable mattress just to shed a few pounds of weight. If you find the memory foam more comfortable, then it’s a win-win.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #4

the weight savings won't be pound for pound when measuring tongue weight. Bed is a few feet back from the coupler so weight saving will proportioned by the distance ratio between axle(s) and hitch ball.

If a "made up bed with the center of the bed 1/4-1/3 the distance between the two points you will only lose 1/4 to 1/3 the weight on the tongue that you reduced mattress weight.

If a Murphy bed that's up while towing, more weight will be shed from the tongue but still not pound for pound. That said, the weight reduction will be a pound for pound reduction of the TOTAL weight of the trailer in either case.

That said you will increase the comfort immensely.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #5

Ok thank you
Alucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #6

I replaced my Coachmen supplied mattress for comfort following my first camping weekend. I went with a memory foam that came boxed. In my case I think the weight difference was minimal. Super happy with the improved comfort.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #7
Flyboy1950

Every memory foam mattress I’ve ever seen is significantly heavier than the original spring mattress. I’d be interested to find out what brands if memory foam mattresses each of you installed.
Sbosserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #8

I just removed my factory mattress from my trailer today and replaced it with a memory foam. No idea on the weight, but it is heavier. Regardless, the absolute cheapest real mattress is going to be light years ahead in comfort than what is supplied with nearly every RV on the market. If I can't get a comfortable nights sleep, then why stay overnight in it. And another thing is I have a problem with my feet hanging over the edge, but not no more!

This is what I got: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensa...?selected=true
mds47588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #9

This is the mattress I went with. A "Classic Brands Cool Gel Ventilated Gel Memory Foam 8-Inch"

I felt this was a reasonable compromise of cost vs perceived quality. I found the mattress surprisingly comfortable. I like a somewhat stiffer mattress.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:33 PM   #10

Just make sure you measure the length of the mattress you currently have, I bought a real nice 12 inch memory foam Queen Size on Amazon that was about 3 inches too long, we cut off 3 inches with an electric carving knife and then we were able to close the bedroom door slides, but the 12 inch was so thick I had to build step stools to get into bed, It was really comfortable! But so heavy we both could barely lift it to access the under bed storage, so we finally gave that $600 mattress away and got an RV SIZE 10 inch memory foam mattress for $400 and ALL is Good! Who cares about a couple of extra pounds and dollars after a good night sleep before and after a long day on the road?
Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #11

In our front bed, Grey Wolf 20rdse we replaced the stock short queen with a 10" Memory Foam from the same manufacturer as the bed in our master bedroom... we wanted to enjoy our camper!

The size is considered a Queen Short... here is a link to the one we have - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Go ahead and do it! you'll love it!

Ricko
RickoMathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #12

I’m waiting on my new memory foam mattress and can’t wait. I hesitated for ages because of the weight, but I finally realized that the difference between the factory mattress plus a thick heavy foam topper, vs a memory foam mattress really is quite minimal.
The topper made the factory bed a little better but I hated how it slid around and it was heavy and cumbersome to keep adjusting.
I got this: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7670.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	221049
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote