Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2020, 11:06 PM   #1

Storage ideas 2019 274rk Cherokee

Hello all, my wife and I just purchased a new 2019 Cherokee 274rk we are looking for some ideas. We noticed that there is only one drawer in the kitchen and we were wondering what you all did for silverware storage. We thought about utilizing a pull out style shelf in the pantry but we are open to ideas with the limited drawers. I am also looking for a idea for fishing pole storage. In my old unit my front pass through had doors on both sides and I made hangers for the fishing poles. I don’t think I have the length I need in this pass through compartment. Any idea for that would be welcomed as well. It will be a lot of reorganization. My old travel trailer seemed to have a tad more storage area. I am not in any way upset just looking for some ideas.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
Long time camper.

Hello, I love my 274RK. I have two ideas for your silverware. A wire basket with room for the silverware, plasticware, paper plates, napkins and salt and pepper. Just take the whole basket out at meal time, to the dinette or picnic table. Keep it in the huge pantry. I also installed a 8” piece of plywood, with a hole for a hand grip at the top. To hold it in place I screwed in a 3” x 3” piece of wood on both sides of the interior molding of the pantry to slide the plywood in and out of. The rear kitchen bounces around a lot. On our first trip my wife opened the pantry with the slide still in and a couple of items in there had fallen and blocked the door open, not allowing the slide to open. Had to lay on the floor and reach them out to close the door.
The other idea was a silverware tray in the drawer with another below it for cooking tools.
Hope that helps, samTummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
Long time camper.

Forest River Cherokee 274RK Limited
Storage tip;
To prevent items in the pantry from falling to the floor and holding the door open against the not slid out slide out. installed a 8” tall piece of plywood, with a hole for a finger grip at the top, in the front of the shelves. To hold the plywood in place I screwed in a 3” x 2” piece of wood on both sides of the interior molding of the shelf to slide the plywood in and out. The rear kitchen bounces around a lot while moving and the door is installed at an angle leaving room between the shelves and the door. (nice place for a broom and mop) On our first trip my wife opened the pantry with the slide still in and a couple of items in there had fallen and blocked the door open, not allowing the slide to open. Had to lay on the floor and reach them out to close the door.

Happy Camping, SamTummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #4

Thank you for the tips... I wasn't sure about things bouncing around in there but it does make sense they would.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:39 PM   #5

You know the flatware basket in the door of a residential dishwasher? I had an extra one and put it upright in a cabinet in the trailer. It's much better than the drawer which wasn't wide enough for knives, forks, salad/dessert forks, teaspoons, and soup spoons.

You can often find folks giving away old or broken dishwashers on Craigslist. Pick up the dishwasher, keep the basket, drop the rest off at the dump.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:44 PM   #6

That is a great idea thank you!

Tags
cherokee, storage