RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-20-2020, 08:57 PM   #1

Suspension upgrade

Hi

I have a 2019 Indiana built Wolf Pup 18TO. I have added solar, bike racks and batteries and other stuff to it so we can boondock, and now the empty axle weight is 4400 pounds and the tongue weight is 700. I changed out the 5000 pound A frame coupler that was the subject of a recall and replaced it with a FR recommended 14,000 pound capacity A frame coupler. So now I believe it can handle the 5600 pound GWVR just like the Oregon built ones after the recall mod was done. However I feel I'm still overloading the axle at times and I was wondering if anyone has upgraded the 5100 pound capacity axle to some thing higher and if so, how did it go.

Also, does anyone know how much weight capacity the frame can handle?. I called FR and Lippert and neither would give me an answer.

Jim
jchristo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #2

Most likely you will not be able to LEGALLY upgrade the capacity but stepping up to a higher capacity axle will certainly mean you are not overloading or riding at the limit of the axle. Be aware that you may need new wheels because lug nut count and hole patterns often change as axle rating increases.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:42 AM   #3

I know. I couldn't get FR to even talk to me about recertifying at the Oregon GWVR level. And thanks for the word on the wheel.

Jim
Old 11-23-2020, 02:33 PM   #4

Are you twin axle? Mine is single axle and I would presume Oregon built since I got it here.

Upgrading to a beefier axle sounds like the way to fly for me to add a bunch more fresh water storage

Where would one even go and how would you go about upgrading an axle? I'm a pretty decent DIY dude, removed engines from cars and the like. Just never done a trailer axle before!
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #5

Hi

I live in Bend OR and I have talked to Trailers Unlimited about it. They can do it. I suppose most RV dealers could as well although I haven't talked to them about it. I've seen some youtube videos of people doing axle changes- just need to prop it up with jacks high enough to work underneath- and have the right tools.

My unit is single axle 5100 lb capacity and I thought I'd upgrade to 7000 lbs (including new springs) to give some safety margin. I'd upgrade the tires as well to Good year Endurance 16 inch as that seems to be the recommended tire and it would give me weight capacity margin on the tires as well.

The 2020 Oregon built 18TO unit that i looked at also had a single 5100 lb capacity axle.

Jim
Old 11-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #6

Wow!
I just stunned that a Wolf Pup has a 5100# capacity axle! Mine has 3500#.
Looking at the FR website and your TT GVWR I can see why.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristo13 View Post
Hi

I live in Bend OR and I have talked to Trailers Unlimited about it. They can do it. I suppose most RV dealers could as well although I haven't talked to them about it. I've seen some youtube videos of people doing axle changes- just need to prop it up with jacks high enough to work underneath- and have the right tools.

My unit is single axle 5100 lb capacity and I thought I'd upgrade to 7000 lbs (including new springs) to give some safety margin. I'd upgrade the tires as well to Good year Endurance 16 inch as that seems to be the recommended tire and it would give me weight capacity margin on the tires as well.

The 2020 Oregon built 18TO unit that i looked at also had a single 5100 lb capacity axle.

Jim
How were you able to ascertain the axle capacity? I have a 16BHS, and I presume Oregon built since I bought it in Oregon. I'd love to know what mine can handle.
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #8

Check factory tag and/or markings on axle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post
How were you able to ascertain the axle capacity? I have a 16BHS, and I presume Oregon built since I bought it in Oregon. I'd love to know what mine can handle.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, upgrade