Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2022, 08:06 AM   #1

Taking window screens out

We have a 2019 274VFK. We are about to tint the windows and clean the screens.
I am assuming, by the looks of it, I have to unscrew the frame to get to the screen?
Any tips or tricks on doing this? I don't want to mess up anything or break a window!!
We bought the nano Ceramic film to go on the windows and I'm more worried about getting the dang screens out than doing the tinting!! We have 6 windows with screens of which 4 are very large!!
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220418_125425811.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	271693  
ragribben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:19 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

That COULD be a modification made by a previous owner…..if you’re not the original owner.

None of the screens in my previous Georgetown or our present Sunseeker have screws into the plastic frames of the screens. Around the perimeter of the plastic frames, there are spring clips that press into position to hold the screens secure.
Typically, these spring clips face upwards into the track, and you press upwards on the bottom of the screen frame in order to ride over the ledge and into the window track.
BTW…..the plastic is fragile, so don’t do this install or removal if the temperature is cold…..they flex better if room temperature.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
That COULD be a modification made by a previous owner…..if you’re not the original owner.

None of the screens in my previous Georgetown or our present Sunseeker have screws into the plastic frames of the screens. Around the perimeter of the plastic frames, there are spring clips that press into position to hold the screens secure.
Typically, these spring clips face upwards into the track, and you press upwards on the bottom of the screen frame in order to ride over the ledge and into the window track.
BTW…..the plastic is fragile, so don’t do this install or removal if the temperature is cold…..they flex better if room temperature.
We are the original owner, Bought it brand new from the dealer.
This is how Forest River designed it!
It appears the screws are screwed through the screen.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:33 AM   #4

I know the Wolf Pup screens on my 2020 16FQ are screwed on and need to be removed for tinting. The frame does have to be removed from the inside. Very poor design as the only thing left to hold the window in is the little bit of sealant around the outer top of the frame.
Larryneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragribben View Post
We have a 2019 274VFK. We are about to tint the windows and clean the screens.
I am assuming, by the looks of it, I have to unscrew the frame to get to the screen?
Any tips or tricks on doing this? I don't want to mess up anything or break a window!!
We bought the nano Ceramic film to go on the windows and I'm more worried about getting the dang screens out than doing the tinting!! We have 6 windows with screens of which 4 are very large!!
Thanks!

After seeing the picture, your screens look exactly how mine are when I tinted my RV windows last year. I tinted 17 windows of varying sizes, some with screens and some without. You should not have a problem as long as you're careful.

You'll first have to remove outer frame screws, then you'll be able to pull out the screen spline, and finally the screen itself. Before I unscrewed and removed the inside window frame, I secured the outside of the window frame to my RV sidewalls with several pieces of duct tape to ensure the outer frame and window would not fall out. I didn't have another helper holding the window in place from the outside.

I highly recommend going to Lowes or Home Depot and purchasing a roll of window screening, a roll of spline and a spline tool to install it in the tracking. Take a piece of the spline with you so you get the correct diameter. You'll likely tear a screen or two in the process of re-installing the original screen in the window after tinting. I also had spline pieces that were torn up pretty bad because the inside frame screws went into and thru it to hold the window frame in place. Throw the damaged spline away and replace with new.

Lemme know if I can help out with any questions.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #6

Thank you guys for the tips. I did all the non screen windows today and tomorrow we're going to tackle the screened ones starting with the small one. I suspect it'll take a couple days to get them all done!
We have 2 windows that are 22" x 70" each and those are my biggest worry!! I'll make sure I tape them well and have a helper holding them!
Thank you again!!
Old 04-18-2022, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragribben View Post
Thank you guys for the tips. I did all the non screen windows today and tomorrow we're going to tackle the screened ones starting with the small one. I suspect it'll take a couple days to get them all done!
We have 2 windows that are 22" x 70" each and those are my biggest worry!! I'll make sure I tape them well and have a helper holding them!
Thank you again!!

Post some pictures of the tinting job when you're done so we can see how it turned out.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window