Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #21

The more I look at this, am I crazy thinking these leaf springs are too light for my rig?
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #22

I'd probably live with 1", but 2" would activate my OCD. Could be a weak or broken leaf on that side, or there's more weight on that side, so scaling it might help to know.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
I'd probably live with 1", but 2" would activate my OCD. Could be a weak or broken leaf on that side, or there's more weight on that side, so scaling it might help to know.
So here is the thing about this hypothesis: in the 16BHS, all the heavy stuff does seem to be on the passenger side. Quick comparison of what's different on each side when unloaded, no water, empty fridge:

Passenger:
Sink
Solid counter top
MorRyde steps
Glass door
Cook top w/glass top
Furnace
12v Fridge
Microwave
Converter
Toilet
Shower
Awning
Mini fridge
Solar panel

Driver:
Water Heater + pump
Bunks
Stereo ()
Dinette
Overhead storage

Now, you tell me, does this seem like a lot to one side? I can't move anything, but perhaps the driver side of this TT is under weight. Might be time to hunt down some wheel scales.
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuB-IA2MI View Post
So here is the thing about this hypothesis: in the 16BHS, all the heavy stuff does seem to be on the passenger side. Quick comparison of what's different on each side when unloaded, no water, empty fridge:

Passenger:
Sink
Solid counter top
MorRyde steps
Glass door
Cook top w/glass top
Furnace
12v Fridge
Microwave
Converter
Toilet
Shower
Awning
Mini fridge
Solar panel

Driver:
Water Heater + pump
Bunks
Stereo ()
Dinette
Overhead storage

Now, you tell me, does this seem like a lot to one side? I can't move anything, but perhaps the driver side of this TT is under weight. Might be time to hunt down some wheel scales.
I wouldn't go any farther until I had an actual weight on each side.

I found a highway department scale nearby and weighed each side of my trailer by merely weighing both first, backing up, then pulling on scale again with one side off the scale.

Here, these scales aren't open all the time but the operators leave them turned on and turn the monitor so it can be seen from outside. Some even have readouts on poles in front of the scale.

Lots of room on the sides of most highway scales so they can weigh wide loads.

And they're free.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
zooming in with my picture viewer the spring with the rust right at the center of the rust mark looks to be a hairline crack and maybe just to the right is another but that may be just the picture.
It does look like there is something there... but there's a limited amount of data in a zoomed photo. I traced a red line near what I would investigate as defects on the spring. They could just be chips in the paint/powdercoat, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeafSpring.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	250722  

David & Elise
Windjammer 3001W
RAM 3500 SRW
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
Tilty Trailer - How bad is this?

Don't want to say what I thought that said at first glance. But it got my attention.
Definitely got my attention. I thought dang where do you get that kind of trailer? I WANT one
Old 04-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #27

I will measure my 2021 16bhs. I don't have much in it yet and see what I have
coryrhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:11 PM   #28

Man! I really need tot get my eyes checked! I read the first 2 words of the title and thought WTH???
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:09 PM   #29

measured mine from top of ubolt to frame 2 1/4" drivers and 2 1/8" passengers and i do have a little more stuff in mine like a jack, drill, blocks, case of beer in outside fridge, and t-lug wrench and the step was out.
coryrhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_reaves View Post
It does look like there is something there... but there's a limited amount of data in a zoomed photo. I traced a red line near what I would investigate as defects on the spring. They could just be chips in the paint/powdercoat, though.
ya the bit on the right is just excess epoxy from the power coat gun, the left though; ya those looks like hairline cracks on the way through the rest of that spring.
they aren't separating yet because its a fracture that hasn't gone clean through yet.

thats also why its only dropping 1-2 inches and not something more on the order of 3-4.

good easy way to tell is grab a angle grinder with a wire brush head and clean all that rust off then put some oil based UV reactant leak detector on the area ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082YDBTV4 ) and use any cheapo UV flash light.

anything more than a surface defect or scratch will light up like a christmas tree as the oil based leak detector will collect and hold in any cracks.

they do the same thing to check engine parts like heads, exhaust manifolds and other combustion cycle cast or machined parts for the same kind of hairline stress fractures or machining imperfections.
Mechcondrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryrhonda View Post
I will measure my 2021 16bhs. I don't have much in it yet and see what I have
Thatís the thing though. If the camper was level with it empty, loading it up (mostly on the left side) you would be the other way tilted, with it fully loaded. If the springs were stiff enough to make it level unloaded, stuff would break if you went down the road from the jarring ride... I have a 2019 16BHS black label, itís perfect for me, my wife and son.
Danhikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #32

I have a slight difference side to side. I don't recall exactly, but it was around 1/2". Would be nice if it leaned opposite the front door (if it's going to lean) to drain the majority of the water off the backside.
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer