Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #1

tire and wheel size

We have narrowed our search to a couple of trailers at a couple of U.S. dealers. Grey Wolf 27v and V-Cross 27v. Yes I realize they are basically the same trailer. Can anyone tell me what is the standard tire and wheel size on these trailers and do original tires last very well or are they a cheaper genaric type. Thanks.........the Old Guys.
old guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

From all the trailers I have looked at, none will come with great tires. Most will not even come with good tires. Almost all "ST" rated trailer tires are made in China, even Goodyear Marathon. Hard to find a dealer around here that even carries trailer tires.

According to V-Cross brochure, the tires are 15 inch. Can't help anymore on specific size, but judging by GVW of the trailer, at least load range "D".
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #3

My 08 V lite 30 footer has Carlisle Radial Trail ST 205/75/14 load range C tires- 50 lbs max cold. X4. So far, I haven't had any problems....Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry we were so long getting back to you but we've had a very hectic week and a half. I thought things were supposed to slow down when you retired, when does that start. At any rate we have pretty much decided on the V-Cross and should find out if it's a go or not.We will let you know if it happens......Old Guys
Old 11-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #5

Athough I have a 2006 RockWood 8314ss with a max load of 7,910 lbs, the camper came with Carlisle tires- ST 205/75R/15- load range"C" @ 50 psi. I changed them out and put on Goodyear Marathons- ST 225/75R/15- load range "D" @ 65 psi, the max weight rating on the tires is 2,640 lbs each x4. From what I can remember the Carlisle "C" range were rated at 1,840 lbs each x4.
If I read the info correctly, the "C" range tire is a 6 ply and the "D" rangs is an 8 ply. The Goodyear Marathons that I have were made in Canada.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the help everyone. we decide on the V-CROSS 27VFK. We made the trip to Michigan earlier this week and took the plunge into the wondereful world of rv-ing. The trailer came with ST205-75D14 load range C tires. The plan will be to upgrade to a range D when they wear down but for now we will have to reign in our spending if we want to be able to enjoy some travel time. Thanks again......Old Guys
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #7

I completely agree that you should up grade the tires to the D load range. I have a 05 Cherokee 28A, when we bought it the dealer said they were new tires...meaning retreads, as we found out the hard way....it was a disater on the first long trip...blew 4 tires....long frustrating trip....I immediately up graded to Maxxis trailer tires and they have been great...recommend these tires over Goodyears anyday...and typically they are slightly cheaper. They are a thick steal belted tire and should last a very long time.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #8

Matt - I doubt your tires were retreaded. They probably over heated and the tread separated from the carcass. This results from under/over inflation, over loading and/or going too fast. Add to that if tire is old (5-8 years is old) the rubber is degraded by ozone and UV rays. Very important to keep tires properly inflated (check specifics but its typically around 50 PSI). Keep stored vehicles off the wet ground (jack stands) and cover the tires with canvas/vinyl covers to increase life expectancy. Unless you are on road all the time you probably will end up scrapping tires with lots of tread just because they are old (and dangerous) vs worn out.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #9

Thanks...I agree completely...the retread idea came from a guy where I bought the camper who told me on some of there used campers they have used retreads....most likely you are right that they were jsut old and somewhat dry roit....

I bought 4 new, proper load range tires and even replaced the spare with a good trailer tire(the one on the camper was a car tire!!!!!!!!!!!!) so should be good to go now. I did purchase the tire covers as well.

would using the leveling blocks to park the camper on be as good as using the jack stands? I do store the unit with the leveling jacks down to take some weight off the tires and axles.

2003 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4
Super Chips Programer
2005 Cherokee 28A
1 Wife
1 Kid and counting
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #10

Yes, I think the upgrade is a given but thanks for reminding me about tire covers. I still need to get some. I had forgotten till now. I think I have that disease that old people get but I can't remember what it's called.
Now.... what was I doing? Old Guys
Old 02-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #11

Changing out tire sizes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Athough I have a 2006 RockWood 8314ss with a max load of 7,910 lbs, the camper came with Carlisle tires- ST 205/75R/15- load range"C" @ 50 psi. I changed them out and put on Goodyear Marathons- ST 225/75R/15- load range "D" @ 65 psi, the max weight rating on the tires is 2,640 lbs each x4. From what I can remember the Carlisle "C" range were rated at 1,840 lbs each x4.
If I read the info correctly, the "C" range tire is a 6 ply and the "D" rangs is an 8 ply. The Goodyear Marathons that I have were made in Canada.
rockwood06 (and everyone else)...

I am thinking about doing the same which is changing from ST205/75/R15 to 225/75/R15 on my Forest River Cherokee Lite 28A+. From the calculations I have done the 225/75/R15 is about .79 inches wider and about 1.99 inches taller (diameter). From "eyeballing" it, I think it will fit. Any suggestions or thoughts before I order the larger tires.

Oh, my main reason is I want a 10 ply tire vs a 6 ply.

-Chris

https://thegaskins.dyndns.org

2007 Forest River Cherokee Lite 28A+
2008 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x2
5.4L / Auto Trans (Stock)
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch and Sway Bar

cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #12

Unhappy Response to old message but meets my whining needs

Just had a major blow out on my trailer on my way home from Vacation. Had one a few months ago. Decided to do some research since I bought two new Carlisles t. I dug out all the paper work that came with trailer. Yes my trailer which I bought new is five years old..... What irritates me is the paperwork on the trailers tires are Carlisle but what have actually been on the trailer from the time I got it are Nanco. What is up with that? Did Forest River shaft me or did the dealer? This has been a learning experience on tires.

I am going for the gusto with load range E. If Carlisles are junk then at least I am going to have load range E to help compensate. I know there are G but that might be real overkill.

Thanks for listening http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ies/crying.gif
tahoekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #13

Let me chime in too, just took a Carlisle Radial Trail off my 09 Flagstaff 26 rbss purchased 13 months ago. Sidewall badly weather checked, kept pressures up and only had about 400 miles on it! Other 4 are out of the same batch so we'll see how they fare on 130 mile trip end of the month!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #14

Have a 2001 27.5 ft. and had 2 blowouts that had Carlisle ST205/75/R15 on it in the last few years. Each blowout caused about $1K in damage. More I looked into it, I was not comfortable with the max loading for the tire and the dry weight of the camper. With it loaded it was right near the max for the tires. I went ahead and replaced all 4 with ST225/75/R15 tires. Now this caused me to do a little modification to the Fender molding to gain clearance (took a cutoff grinder and took the lip off for 2 to 3 inches on the front leading part of the molding). Have much better saftey margin on the tires now, which should translate to running a little cooler also. One note when changeing out the old tires found that the steel rims had actually bent a little from the force of backing into sites (every watch the twist in the axels and tires as you back up, will make you cringe) . You may need to take that into consideration when buying tires also, that you may need a rim or two.
Ole Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee