Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #1

Towing Capacity / gear weight

Hello,

My wife and I are looking at a Grey Wolf 22Mkse. We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee to pull it. With the UVW of about 4300, we are well within the 6200lb towing capacity. However, the GVW is upwards of 7500 lbs. I guess my question is how much does the average person add for gear? The 3300 pounds of gear seems high.

FYI we donít travel with fresh water.
Camper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
Always Learning

Looks like it's a bunkhouse which mean you have kids. So you'll carry a bit more than the old retired couple.

People often quote 1,500 - 2,000 pounds of cargo for weekenders.

Very few actually weight their rigs and way underestimate what they actually carry.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper88 View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are looking at a Grey Wolf 22Mkse. We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee to pull it. With the UVW of about 4300, we are well within the 6200lb towing capacity. However, the GVW is upwards of 7500 lbs. I guess my question is how much does the average person add for gear? The 3300 pounds of gear seems high.

FYI we donít travel with fresh water.
A 27ft TT will not be fun with a short wheelbase Jeep. Your main issue will be loaded tongue weight. With a fictional dry tongue weight of 585lbs, it will easily exceed your Jeep's max of 620lbs, when loaded for camping. Website/brochure dry tongue weights don't include the weights of batteries, factory options, water or trailer cargo.
DON'T fall victim to the fictional dry weights, they are based on a stripped down version of the trailer.
In addition, the weights of you and your passengers, the WDH and car cargo will lower the Jeep's payload capacity to where you probably be over with the loaded tongue weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #4

I have actually weighed my TT and being an old retired couple no kids our TT weighs 1040 more than the UVW including propane, battery, 15 gallons fresh water to flush when stopping in rest areas, food, clothing, pots and pans. I always roll on the floor laughing when the Monday morning quarterbacks get online and tell you you HAVE to use the trailers GVWR. Apparently they are pack rats.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I have actually weighed my TT and being an old retired couple no kids our TT weighs 1040 more than the UVW including propane, battery, 15 gallons fresh water to flush when stopping in rest areas, food, clothing, pots and pans. I always roll on the floor laughing when the Monday morning quarterbacks get online and tell you you HAVE to use the trailers GVWR. Apparently they are pack rats.
Your comment sounds kinda strange coming from someone who uses a 7050 GVWR truck to pull a 7700 GVWR trailer. Don't get me wrong as there isn't anything wrong with that.

I don't think anyone is telling you that you HAVE to use the trailers GVWR. They are saying if you start with the trailers GVWR in mind you will give yourself room for planning later on.

With the OP driving a short wheelbase Grand Cherokee, he has to also keep in mind the frontal area of the large box he's pulling behind.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Everyone gets confused at some time, some are better at hiding it than others.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #6
Mopar Guy

i used to tow our 24JS with a grand cherokee SRT. Also once with a 3.6L overland.

Trailer was heavier by a bit, tiny bit longer, but we packed semi conservatively.
The Grand was a fine tow vehicle, never felt unstable or unsafe.

The 3.6L that is in your jeep, its going to want to rev, but i never felt it was underpowered or dangerous.

A good WDH is critical and setup is important.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Your comment sounds kinda strange coming from someone who uses a 7050 GVWR truck to pull a 7700 GVWR trailer. Don't get me wrong as there isn't anything wrong with that.

I don't think anyone is telling you that you HAVE to use the trailers GVWR. They are saying if you start with the trailers GVWR in mind you will give yourself room for planning later on.

With the OP driving a short wheelbase Grand Cherokee, he has to also keep in mind the frontal area of the large box he's pulling behind.
No offense taken....and if I'd have listened to the "weight police" I likely would have never bought the trailer I have. Their "company line" is to use the full GVWR of the trailer because" you never know". I view using the GVWR as having as much value as the dry weight from the factory. Most of us fall someplace in between those values.

Speaking of frontal areas most trailers have to much frontal area even for a F350 diesel to tow if you follow the Ford towing guide maximum size recommendations. 60 sq ft. for a vehicle/TT combo. (page 15)
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf
Old 01-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #8

What effect does a large frontal area have on short wheel base. I have heard of weight issues but not frontal area.
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
What effect does a large frontal area have on short wheel base. I have heard of weight issues but not frontal area.
No more than on a long wheel base. Same parachute or traveling billboard you’re dragging behind you.
I’m one of the ones that encourage neophyte trailer camper towing people to use GVWR when comparing TTs to TOw vehicle (TV) tow ratings. Because the tow ratings eat up all the load capacity (except 150# driver, Ford 2021 now includes one 150# passenger, too!) of the TV. Some may look at their TV’s listed tow rating and buy based on that, guaranteed to be over weight on some spec. Not going to rehash all my overweight mistakes, and I selected a TT with a GVWR of 74.2% of my TV’s tow rating. Ended upgrading TV from an Explorer to an F150.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
No more than on a long wheel base. Same parachute or traveling billboard youíre dragging behind you.
Iím one of the ones that encourage neophyte trailer camper towing people to use GVWR when comparing TTs to TOw vehicle (TV) tow ratings. Because the tow ratings eat up all the load capacity (except 150# driver, Ford 2021 now includes one 150# passenger, too!) of the TV. Some may look at their TVís listed tow rating and buy based on that, guaranteed to be over weight on some spec. Not going to rehash all my overweight mistakes, and I selected a TT with a GVWR of 74.2% of my TVís tow rating. Ended upgrading TV from an Explorer to an F150.

Thatís what I was thinking but always willing to learn
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #11

With all of the advise you have been given, add this as well. The short wheelbase means that the trailer is going to be moving the TV as a posed to a long wheelbase TV moving the TT (think wind and Semis). TV weight compared to TT weight also factors in. The heavier the TV the less the TT will move it around on the road. I use to pull a 30 Ft Holiday Rambler with a 99 Ford Expedition which literally out weighed the TT. The TT had no choice but to fallow the TV. The Expedition had plenty of power so even loaded with us, our toddler and all our gear it had no problem pulling the TT. Much better than the Chevy conversion van we started pulling it with (you can imagine the conversion kits weight so the engine had to work hard to pull TV & TT). Currently I pull our 17jg with my F250 super duty and because we boon dock mostly, we carry a 3500W generator, firewood, tools and extra water we are border line on the trucks capacity. However I never get in a hurry towing and do not try to go full power from a dead stop so we get by with it. If I ever need to replace the truck I’ll most likely go with the larger engine option or go diesel. Mine has the 5.4L which lacks some power. But it is an 09 and we bought it used before we decided to buy the wolf pup.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, towing capacity, weight