Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 08:14 PM   #61

My son-in-law "taught" me how to tow my trailer. He's a truck driver and gave me lots of advice. I also did some reading, in most states, vehicles towing trailers, even travel trailers are suppose to obey the same speed laws as the posted speed for semi-trucks. I always try to stay within the truck speed but sometimes I'll go a little over. I figure that I need to be at a safe, comfortable speed for me but not hindering traffic. Being safe is better.
Letarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:15 PM   #62

the speed rating on your trailer should kept in mind when traveling on the express way. I have endurance with 80 psi and they are rated for a speed of 70 or less, so might want to look at that also.....

Bill and In knight
airstream camper
with fluffy and Oliver four legged children
bq6zj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:17 PM   #63

Towing Speed

We too have Goodyear Endurance and tow our 21í Micro between 60 and 65. Iím a retired professional firefighter and had tons of driver training and Iím not comfortable above 65 with the camper in tow.
Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:48 PM   #64
Lorenc

I've found 67 68 to be a good speed for me. Kinda keeps up with a lot of trucks. Seems like a lot of fleet trucks are governed at 68 . If there is 3 lanes I will stay in the middle because a lot of people are stupid about merging. If Iím in the right lane I will get over if I
can but its their responsibility to merge in front of me or behind me not mine!
Old 05-10-2021, 09:00 PM   #65

For myself......I have long since stopped seeing how many seconds I can shave off of my arrival time .......
Old 05-10-2021, 09:03 PM   #66

With the factory china tires, rated at 65 mph that was the max speed I traveled at - although did hit 75 once passing a vehicle with them.
After about 7 years, decided to put on new tires - chose Goodyear Endurance with higher speed rating.
The Goodyears were a great investment - the trailer towed easier and tended to 'hug' the road far better.
I still tow about 65 - sometimes push to 70 but not often as the faster you go - the higher the fuel comsumption.
Overall, I still tow about 65 for better MPG, safety and it's just more comfortable speed to tow at IMO.
It's not unusual for a camper rig to blow by me running 80 sometimes 85 on the interstates and I don't care - their gas, their camper and their option
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #67

I just got home from towing through Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California. In Utah on I-15 towing speed limit is 80mph. Arizona 75mph, Nevada various, 75, 70, 65. California is the only state that has a separate speed limit to tow, 55 mph. Trucks seem to tow right around 5-7 mph below the speed limit except in California. They go 63mph. But I have been passed in Utah by Fed Ex triple trailer trucks doing 80mph. I too have the Goodyear Endurance, 87mph speed rating. I tow anywhere from 63 (CA) to 73mph (Utah). I try to stay right about the truck speeds. I don't like passing them all the time. I did get a ticket in California last year passing a truck that was doing 60mph. I was radar-ed at 72mph during the pass. Not a cheap ticket, $750. The fastest I have gotten is 77mph in a pass. I try to avoid that as much as possible, that's a little scary.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:23 AM   #68

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. I just get too nervous at too high speeds although I just bought a Durango with tow package so I might feel more stable than towing with my van.
Letarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:54 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100mike View Post
first time you have to do a panic stop at 75 you'll understand..
amen to that!
Bev4banff53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:18 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
And then there's getting worse fuel mileage by going faster.
For me, 62mph is the sweet spot.
The faster you go, the more air resistance you get, resulting in lower fuel mileage.
This is precisely our attitude. At 65 MPH we get right at 9.5 MPG, but if we drop that to 62 we get just at 11 MPG. A drop of roughly 5% in speed = a 10% increase in fuel mileage, IM IN!

What nobody I have read so far has mentioned is that the tires that come with most TTs and 5ers today are limited to 65MPH on their sidewall. Faster than that and you risk them overheating and having a blowout

The last tire change we upgraded from E rated to G rated to get a higher load capacity and thereby have a cushion between what the tires are rated for and our actual load on the tires. They also have a speed rating of 87 so if we wanted to drive that fast (for some unknown reason) we would not be risking a blowout by doing so.

Any margin of either speed rating vs actual speeds driven or load capacity vs actual load = a positive margin of safety. Once again, IM IN!
Old 05-11-2021, 07:05 AM   #71

I usually go no faster than 3-5 mph over the posted speed limit. I have pushed it to 79 for a short time trying to get past idiots who were playing games but then back off. I also keep a long distance from the guy in front of me.
dwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:16 AM   #72

Get there

If I drive at 60 and you drive at 70 basically I will get there 30 or 45 minutes after you BUT Ö I will get there safely!
GoldAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:48 AM   #73

I am not a driver that concentrates on the speedometer. I normally try to keep up with traffic flow and not be a nuisance to others by either going too fast or too slow.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:58 AM   #74
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated

The car I use as a daily driver has adaptive cruise control. It will automatically speed up to the max speed I set or slow down to keep a set distance between myself and the car in front of me. I would pay extra to have this feature in my tow vehicle. It certainly makes keeping pace with traffic flow alot easier.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:30 AM   #75

You can obviously see that answers are all over the place. Since you area asking the question, you are concerned about safety. I generally drove at least 5+ over speed limit when not towing. But I don't go much above 62 in good conditions and often drop lower in less optimal conditions. It's all about allowing a margin for things to go wrong, rather than tempting the limits for me. I have also found that highway quality varies widely, and sometimes I back off the speed just because the highway surface is so bad, and it is beating the TV and the trailer to a pulp. Now I also acknowledge that I won't aim for over 300 miles in a day, but I'm much more relaxed and not worn out by fighting the higher speed.
garmanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:44 AM   #76

Give yourself the gift of time and room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev4banff53 View Post
amen to that!
X2 or x3 wherever weíre at with that comment. Iíve had to do one or two hard stops at slow residential speeds (kids running out into the street) and that was enough to give me great respect for the inadequacies having only 8 wheels with brakes.

My favourite holiday route has a speed limit of 110 kmph (close enough to 70 mph for those who donít use metric measurements) and especially on a weekend is a busy (like driving out of Chicago busy) four lane divided highway with the usual allotment of impatient drivers driving fast in the other lane. I consistently find that most people pulling TTs are doing 90 to 100 kmph (55-60 mph).

All it takes is some cocky fool passing in the fast lane a few cars ahead then veering across 4 lanes of traffic to make an exit at the last second to cause everyone else to brake hard. I like to give myself the gift of time and room to deal with things that happen.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMoore View Post
I know this has been discussed tons of times. I just put new tires on Good Year Endurance. I usually tow @ 60-65 mph. Why can't I go faster.

What is the reason for the slow speed, especially now I got new tires. would like to tow at 70-75 mph
If you are towing a trailer and increase your speed from 55 mph to 75 mph, or an increase of 40%, your stopping distance is almost multiplied by a factor of 2.

If you double your speed, say from 35 to 70, the stopping distance is multiplied by a factor of 4.

Wright is also important, if you double speed and weight, you increase the stopping distance by a factor of 8.

This will give you a guide line. We had a wrestling match with a logging truck a few years back. Very luck to be alive. Now 55 mph is perfect for me.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #78
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Snip...

What nobody I have read so far has mentioned is that the tires that come with most TTs and 5ers today are limited to 65MPH on their sidewall. Faster than that and you risk them overheating and having a blowout
You must not have read many posts in this thread as there are lots of references to the tire's speed ratings.

While some are rated at 65, the newer Castle Rocks and other Chinese trailer tires (ST) are rated at 75 MPH and the USA Goodyear Endurance at 87 MPH.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMoore View Post
I know this has been discussed tons of times. I just put new tires on Good Year Endurance. I usually tow @ 60-65 mph. Why can't I go faster.

What is the reason for the slow speed, especially now I got new tires. would like to tow at 70-75 mph
as a retired trucker I can vouch for higher speeds making stopping more difficult. A travel trailer won't be much different. When the trailer jackknives the tow vehicle will react totally unlike anything that you've probably experienced.
And not to mention fuel mileage.
Also RVing, in my opinion, should be relaxing. Impossible at high speeds. What's the hurry?
johnny1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Hahahaha! No, this is normal.
This is true to a 'degree' (cracking myself up this morning!)Maintaining proper inflation and not overloading are best safeguards from this happening, thus a GOOD TPMS is worth the money. Heat is why you see road gators all over the highways down south. Between high ambient temps, and if a tire is underinflated, it quickly builds up heat, which causes tire failures.
All true but it is fact that the faster you go the hotter a tire can get even if properly inflated. Underinflated tires just get hotter, quicker.

That's why there are speed ratings on tires. ST trailer tires are more prone to heat from speed thus the lower ratings than on similar sized passenger and LT tires. The tradeoff is that ST tires are designed to carry more weight in the same sizes. The industry has been trying to convince people of this for years with prominent "speed limits" molded into the sidewalls but you know how that works.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing