Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #1

Trailer brakes catch as I slow to a stop.

Wolf Pup 16FQ - upon driving from the dealer in March I noticed a rhythmic “catching” of the trailer brakes as I slowed to a stop. It felt like something was out-of-round. I have adjusted the Curt remote brake control sensitivity and max braking adjustments to fairly minimal intensity, but that was no help. I thought something would wear in. But 2 trips under our belt and I still experience the rhythmic catching as I slow to a stop. I hate to think I need to lay up the trailer for who knows how long at a dealer before they figure this out.........Any ideas?
Sentryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:43 PM   #2

Normally if you turn down the brake controller intensity it handle the problem. On the highway I am at around a 4 on the Draw-Tite, but change it to 1 or 2 when backing into a camping spot.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #3

Brakes on Wolf Pup 16FQ

Is there an easy way to check the brakes myself? Can I use the leveling jacks to raise one side and take off a wheel to check the brakes?
Sentryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:39 PM   #4

Yes the brakes are pretty easy to check yourself, but you don't want to do what you describe, and lift tires off the ground with the leveling jacks if you can help it. The leveling jacks aren't made for that kind of weight to be placed on them. Your best bet is to use a floor or bottle jack to lift that wheel off the ground and inspect. Don't forget to lift the axle ONLY where the leaf spring attaches to the axle tube. Do NOT jack up any other portion of the axle.

Or, if you have one of those handy tire changing wedge things designed to remove/replace a wheel of a dual axle trailer, you can use that as well. I think they are called Trailer Aid, or something similar.
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:46 PM   #5

Check everything is correct

https://www.curtmfg.com/dm/echo-mobile-brake-controller

2020 Ford Ranger XL, 4wd, locker tow package, Blue Ox Sway Pro
Retired mechanic & OTR TruckDriver Owner Operator
20 yrs + 1 million miles
Newbie Pup Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:22 PM   #6

My initial impression is a warped drum. This is caused when your braking, the drum gets hot and you hit a water puddle. Other possibilities are you make have a defective brake shoe or the spring mechanism holding the shoe has come off or broke. Need to inspect.
eaglecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:15 AM   #7

Also check for grease on the brake shoes. Many people think that grease on shoes causes them to slip. Not so, it causes them to lock up. As a certified auto mechanic for many years I have seen this happen quite often.
trubkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:38 AM   #8
cdog7201

Send a message via AIM to cdog7201
brake catches when slowing down

IF you don't have a proportional brake controller this is normal.If your controller is proportional then yo0u have a problem some where. and need to check your brakes but on non proportional controller lowering the sensitivity should help,you just have to get use to it
cdog7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #9

It is a good idea to replace the seals, if you take a wheel off. Not an absolute, just a good idea.
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredintexas View Post
It is a good idea to replace the seals, if you take a wheel off. Not an absolute, just a good idea.
A quick check will tell one if they need replacjng after an inspection.

Run a finger over seal lip to see if its still flexible and then look to see if the edge of the lip is still fairly sharp. If it's noticeably flat where it rubs on the spindle then definitely replace.

Same type seal on cars/trucks that had serviceable bearings like still used on trailers used to last as long as the brakes or 40-50thousand miles.

Just be careful to not cut seal on spindle threads when placing drum/hub on spindle. This is also important with new seals.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #11

One thing I didn't see above is brake adjustment. Your brakes may be adjusted to tight, or to loose. Either can affect the smoothness of the braking.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
One thing I didn't see above is brake adjustment. Your brakes may be adjusted to tight, or to loose. Either can affect the smoothness of the braking.
Proper adjustment is always important but the "pulsing", grabbing and releasing, is usually one of two factors. An out of round drum which is more noticeable at low speeds, or a controller that is sending too strong a pulse for the slower speed.

Improper adjustment usually results in a drag with overheating (too tight) or delayed/no braking on the affected wheel.

One other possibility is an issue with the magnet and the surface it runs on when brakes are applied. It should be relatively smooth and not have any spots contaminated with grease (which can occur during assembly, not necessarily due to a leaking seal).

An inspection is definitely in order.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, cat, trailer