Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #41
JSP

I thought I was having issues! I watched the guy come out with the lift to pick up mine.. wish I hadn't seen it. It's like he didn't even care it was a brand new camper. Those tongue jacks flex much more than I thought they did.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2plus1 View Post
In his original post the first course of action the OP suggested was a lawyer. He did not mention insurance. Many here have given great advice but not once has he acknowledged that and suggested he would take it. It has 'bugged' me ever since reading this yesterday. I'm afraid that he just hadn't gotten around to insuring the RV yet and that would be sad and silly. Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong, please.

Paul
Let's not be to hasty! First Hopefully he does have insurance but I'm sure he's getting advice from friends & family, too, which might have a stronger influence than this forum, right or wrong. Second it is the weekend, he could be working or otherwise preoccupied most people including myself aren't on the forums everyday, I just don't have the time. I'm not sure the state he lives in but in most states I'm familiar with you can't even register anything without proof of insurance. If his state doesn't and he drove it out without insurance then a lawyer might be the only way to recover this loss. If, in the end he's stuck with this repaired unfortunately that will follow it even when it's sold to someone else. Like I, and others have said this needs professional, certified frame/weld shop to fix it, nevermind fixing the rest of it. Hopefully he comes back, lots of times, IMHO people never do but there's always some that do.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (5 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:15 PM   #43

Yikes! I would accept no less than a full refund/replacement.

Please help us updated
GravelRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander_Trailing View Post
Hi everyone,

We recently purchased our first trailer, a Cherokee WolfPup 17JG. The trailer has had numerous issues and was in the shop. On the way to pick up the trailer the dealer called us to notify us they dropped the trailer while towing it. The trailer was being towed by a forklift when it fell off and proceeded to run into the forklift. The tongue is unusable and the forklift punched a hole in the front of the trailer. The trailer is only 35 days old.

The dealer said they will give us a new tongue and replace the hole. My concern is what latent issues or hidden damage may be possible. Has anyone experienced issues after dropping their trailer? Should we get a lawyer? Thanks in advance.
I would never accept a Ďfixedí trailer. Your deal was for a NEW unit, not a damaged and repaired one. And I am sure they must have insurance for the workshop.
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #45

They would have me a new one.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Honestly, if it was me with a 35 day old trailer damaged that bad, I'd tell them to keep it and make me a spectacular deal on another unit.
I would not accept a patch to the hole (replace the entire panel), and I would want an extended warranty paid for by them, if you decide to keep it.

X2 !
Old 08-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #47

I loved all these suggestions but the easiest one but made perfect sense is have them give you another one at 35 Days.

Ray
Ray1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:24 PM   #48

You received lots of good options.

Lawyer will probably be expensive unless a family member.

Dealer wants to shift financial responsibility to you. He doesnít want his insurance company involved or pay a deductible. It is a typical blow off of the complainer routine. Donít accept that BS.

Ask the dealer for the name of his Insurance company. He wonít like that but so what since he is jerking you around.

File a police report for the accident.

Was the fork truck operator certified?

Notify you Insurance broker if you have one for good advice.

You will always have doubts about the quality of the fix. If something comes up later on the dealer will blame you and not the fix.

You want your money back and maybe buy a new trailer at a more reputable dealer. You donít need the heart ache.

Post the name of the dealer here.

If the dealer is on FakeBook you should post something negative there. That can get quick relief for you.

Be calm but strong.

Be Well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander_Trailing View Post
Hi everyone,

We recently purchased our first trailer, a Cherokee WolfPup 17JG. The trailer has had numerous issues and was in the shop. On the way to pick up the trailer the dealer called us to notify us they dropped the trailer while towing it. The trailer was being towed by a forklift when it fell off and proceeded to run into the forklift. The tongue is unusable and the forklift punched a hole in the front of the trailer. The trailer is only 35 days old.

The dealer said they will give us a new tongue and replace the hole. My concern is what latent issues or hidden damage may be possible. Has anyone experienced issues after dropping their trailer? Should we get a lawyer? Thanks in advance.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #49

The facts aren’t clear here. Did the purchaser ever actually take possession of the trailer? If so, it could very well be necessary to involve insurance companies and if that does not lead to a successful resolution, then the next step would be to hire a lawyer. If the purchaser never took possession, then demand a new unit, not a repaired unit. The dealership is at fault here and should be held accountable to make things right, to make the purchaser “whole.” The sooner he does this, the less damages he’ll end up paying for in the end.
ProfessorBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:51 PM   #50

Reading this thread makes me thankful that I bought my trailer in 2006 when sales were slow and the people building the trailer and working at the RV lots were experienced and careful. Sorry you are going through this.
KevK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #51

If it is financed contact the lending institution, they have a stake in this also and can bring alot of weight to the game.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #52
I'm Lost

I see no mention of other possible damage. This unit dropped onto the ground with sufficient force to bend the A-frame and then slid into "a" fork, no mention of second fork damage.

The shock of sudden deceleration of hitting the ground must have done other damage internally. I would be doing a thorough inspection of the interior and exterior as well as a frame alignment.

We need more info; as others have said, did they take delivery before the accident, is this deemed an accident by the police, if so, is there an accident report. This would definitely help with insurance/lawyers!

Geoff

2013 F150 Screw, 6.2L gasser, HDPP, LT tyres, Firestone Air Bags, 250L aux tank.
2013 Rockwood Signature 8310SS

wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #53

I am with everyone else! Try to get in there like you will accept their repairs. Get all the information, documents, photos, video, etc. Get out and do not take possession of the trailer or sign anything. Get insurance involved and potentially your financial institution. If you paid cash and did not have insurance take this to bat with a lawyer. No way in hell I would ever accept anything other than being "whole" and the only way I see you getting "whole" is two options. 1) full repair certified by the manufacturer AND depreciated vale.. please note depreciated value is not the BS any insurance company gives you. Literally have someone come out and value your trailer for what it is worth. Take your trailer value before the accident and minus the new value and that is what you should ask for. 2) new trailer! Good luck and keep us posted!!
DaSchutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:45 PM   #54

Run as fast as you can. Try as hard as you can to get out of it. We were in the same situation. The dealer damaged the wolfpup and wanted us to take it and let some other dealer make the repairs. The truth is that dealers make very little on warranty work, and this year sales are almost double last year. Dealers want to work on non warranty stuff (much more profit) and just ship out new units as fas as possible.

The Wolf Pup is a nice unit, but very cheaply made. The solar is very basic and not upgradable without replacing components. The wall is wood and flimsy aluminum film instead of aluminum studs and fiberglass skin. We bought one in Anoka, MN, from a National dealer and it came in damaged. Thankfully after some high pressure nogociations we were able to get out after the dealer threatened to keep our security deposit, against state law. We ended up with an RPod, similar in design, more expensive, but definitely worth it.
Camper Tom Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #55

Also, there is potentially a lot more damage that won’t show up until you drive down about 15 miles of washboard dirt road. The microwave, refer, AC, hot water heater, and other components tend fail if stressed. If your unit is “prestressed” before delivery, they will fail that much sooner.
Camper Tom Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #56

No police report on private property

In most places an accident on private property isnít considered an accident and police will not issue a police report. Fender bender at Wal-Mart and they wonít come out. The two owners exchange info and the insurance companies fight it out. Or with no fault your insurance just pays up. The same would hold on the dealerís lot. Could be different in this ownerís state but that is the rule in at least 6 states Iíve lived in.
Donít do like so many and stop making payments just because you donít have use.
Definitely would insist on a new trailer.
And please post dealer name as others have requested. None of us want to be the next victim.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:41 PM   #57

Just think if you decide to sell, upgrade etc. You will need to disclose the fact the whole tongue was replace and whatever else. Do you think I would buy it ? I have read a lot of advise here but I also read the response you got from the dealer, no big deal, it can be fixed. You are buying a new (35 day unit) not a wreck. I wish you the best my friend. God bless
Old 08-27-2020, 11:37 PM   #58

Two things some insurance companies may raise your rates if you file a claim. Also most lawyers will give a free consultation to tell you if you have a case and how much it will cost you.
Good luck
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:49 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj427 View Post
Two things some insurance companies may raise your rates if you file a claim. Also most lawyers will give a free consultation to tell you if you have a case and how much it will cost you.
Good luck
Not if they can recover from other party.

Buying insurance and not using it when it can help makes zero sense.

Look up the term subrogation as it applies to insurance companies.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:51 PM   #60

really don't seem fair that he would have to except someone else problem, i would not want to take ownership if it not left the lot yet

Tags
trailer