Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2021, 09:08 PM   #1

using water pump to winterize TT

26dbh here. I would like to know what type of connection hose and fitting is needed to connect to the water pump. I plan on winterizing my TT in the next few days but it is in storage. I remember the water pump having an additional connection on it that I am assuming is used for winterizing the system.

Thanks
TTnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:40 AM   #2

I have the same unit. When you look at your pump you will see a white hose that’s tee’d into the line going to the fresh water tank. It might be tucked in behind the pump if you’ve never used it before.

It’s about 3 feet long. Maybe smaller. And has a threaded cap on the end.
This is the winterizing line.
Take the cap off and place the hose in the antifreeze jug and turn pump on.
Works like a charm.
Bricklayer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:47 AM   #3

There should also be a valve to reposition. No?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #4

Yes there should be a valve at the end of the hose he’s describing. Make sure you bypass the hot water heater first.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Yes there should be a valve at the end of the hose he’s describing. Make sure you bypass the hot water heater first.
Yes, I've heard the antifreeze is bad for the water heater. Just pull the anode for that and leave it out for the winter. I've found that it drains a lot faster if you open the safety valve at the top too.
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #6

Yes sorry. I forgot to mention the valve.
It’s right at the tee where the tube is.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #7

Thank you for all of the input. My question was not too clear. What I wanted to know was the size of the connection at the pump. I am aware of the winterization hose that is attached to the pump. What I am not sure is of the size fitting I will need to connect to it. The hose connected to the pump is not long enough for me to put it directly into the antifreeze bottle. I need to extend it so that it can reach.

Is it a standard 3/4 inch fitting?
Old 10-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #8

I had the same issue. So I removed the hose from the pump and brought it with me to the parts store. Matched up the size and bought one the proper length.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #9

I’m pretty sure it’s 1/2” npt
Old 10-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricklayer123 View Post
I’m pretty sure it’s 1/2” npt
That's what I would like to know. The size that I need to buy the fitting so that I can extend the winterization hose. The piece I have is about a foot long. That does not give any room to put inside a gallon of antifreeze unless the bottle is laying flat, which makes no sense.

Thanks Bricklayer
Old 10-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #11

I’ll go out and double check for you.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
That's what I would like to know. The size that I need to buy the fitting so that I can extend the winterization hose. The piece I have is about a foot long. That does not give any room to put inside a gallon of antifreeze unless the bottle is laying flat, which makes no sense.

Thanks Bricklayer

I have a 274BRB and just winterized today. It was my first time doing it and discovered the same kind of hose you’re describing. I can confirm it was a 1/2 fitting. I just bought a female 1/2 plastic connector that had a tapered male end on the other side. Then bought an extra 4’ of braided plastic hose and a clamp. Worked perfectly. Not sure who thought the small amount of hose provided was enough to get into the bottle, but at least it’s there.
Lhoffmanjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhoffmanjr22 View Post
I have a 274BRB and just winterized today. It was my first time doing it and discovered the same kind of hose you’re describing. I can confirm it was a 1/2 fitting. I just bought a female 1/2 plastic connector that had a tapered male end on the other side. Then bought an extra 4’ of braided plastic hose and a clamp. Worked perfectly. Not sure who thought the small amount of hose provided was enough to get into the bottle, but at least it’s there.
How much antifreeze did you go through?
Old 10-24-2021, 09:00 AM   #14

Quote:

I had the same issue with length of hose. My pump is in the night stand. It would reach the top half of antifreeze jug. I then put the cap back on and squeezed it through the drawer opening. Not perfect but it worked. I will extend the hose next season.

2021 Surveyor 203rkle
2018 Chevy Silverado
Fastway e2 Hitch
wyodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:08 AM   #15

Quote:
I used 2 gallons. About 1 1/2 gallons went into the lines, and then almost all of the leftover went into the drains of the sinks.

The one thing I found odd is that when the water pump is set up to pull from the bottle using the extra hose, meaning the valve is switched, the water pump was running the entire time, even if there was no demand from a faucet. I’m used to the water pump only running on demand. Every faucet and shower head (inside and outside showers) ran all pink though.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #16

Quote:
I used 2 gallons. About 1 1/2 gallons went into the lines, and then almost all of the leftover went into the drains of the sinks.

The one thing I found odd is that when the water pump is set up to pull from the bottle using the extra hose, meaning the valve is switched, the water pump was running the entire time, even if there was no demand from a faucet. I’m used to the water pump only running on demand. Every faucet and shower head (inside and outside showers) ran all pink though.
I suspect you did not bypass your water heater and pumped antifreeze I to it.
Aladin Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin Sane View Post
I suspect you did not bypass your water heater and pumped antifreeze I to it.
That’s what I thought too. I flipped both the valves before I started, then drained the water heater by removed the anode. I left the anode for the water heater out and checked to see if there was any antifreeze coming out, and there wasn’t.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
Yes, I've heard the antifreeze is bad for the water heater. Just pull the anode for that and leave it out for the winter. I've found that it drains a lot faster if you open the safety valve at the top too.
Don’t leave your anode out for the winter.

Remove the anode, clean the threads on both anode and water heater tank, and put new tape on anode, then put it back in. You don’t need to torque it down but atleast tighten it up a little. If you leave it out for the winter you risk the tank threads becoming rusted.

At the very least I would take a plastic plug and put it in. You want something to protect the threads.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:00 PM   #19
WFD

Quote:
That’s what I thought too. I flipped both the valves before I started, then drained the water heater by removed the anode. I left the anode for the water heater out and checked to see if there was any antifreeze coming out, and there wasn’t.
Did you check on the floor by your water pump? Wouldn't have been leaking from the screen and clear plastic screen holder attached to the pump? Sometimes those can get loose and seep a bit.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:03 PM   #20
WFD

It can't be too much of a leak anywhere otherwise your jug would have sucked dry. you stated you had about 1/2 gal left to put into drains.

Tags
pump, water, water pump, winter, winterize