Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #1

Warranty work when at distance from dealer

I have a general FR warranty question. If I were to purchase a TT in the lower 48 and then locate in Alaska how does the warranty work? In reading it sounds like the selling dealer is responsible for all warranty work. Suppose I am 3000 miles from the dealer what are my options? In reality there seems to be a 100% premium for buying locally vs lower 48 prices. I want to thank you in advance. Ken
AlasKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Always Learning

Your local dealer has absolutely no requirement to perform warranty work at all, much less in a timely manner.

Most of the time, you can find a service center who will do it OR pay for a mobile RV tech to come out (possibly getting reimbursed). FR often doesn't pay for the service visit but will pay for labor + parts. Just talk to FR first about how it works.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Contact FR for dealers willing to do warranty work in your area.
Or find an independent RV shop willing to do it but you'll have to pay upfront and then get reimbursed.
Just get pre-approval from FR.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Still a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlasKen View Post
I have a general FR warranty question. If I were to purchase a TT in the lower 48 and then locate in Alaska how does the warranty work? In reading it sounds like the selling dealer is responsible for all warranty work. Suppose I am 3000 miles from the dealer what are my options? In reality there seems to be a 100% premium for buying locally vs lower 48 prices. I want to thank you in advance. Ken
Ken,

I was in your shoes. I bought my Surveyor in Portland last summer. These guys did some warranty work for me, and will do your warranty work. And they will do all of the communicating with Forest River to get your repairs done that are supposed to be covered. They were GREAT to work with.

ABC RV Service & Repair Location
3875 Old International Airport Rd
Anchorage, AK 99502
(907) 279-2000

It's on the frontage road to the airport. Head south on Jewel Lake just south of International. Turn right on Old International, adjacent to the runway. Go up about a mile. You'll see them on the right. Ask for Charlie.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:41 PM   #5

Thanks. That is good to know. Loooking next summer for a 18to.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:54 AM   #6

After we buy from a dealer, we fully expect to never see that dealer again. We have used certified independent service for warranty work all over the country. Much happier with independents. Besides, your rig rarely breaks down when you are at home
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:46 AM   #7
Road Trippin

Whenever I need work done I call independent RV repair facilities and just ask them if they do Forrest River warranty work. If they say no, I call another place until I get a yes.

When I get a yes I schedule an appt to have it looked at. I tell them not to do any work until they get approved through Forrest River. If Forrest River doesn't approve it I have Good Sam. The important thing for me is to make sure they understand not to do any repairs without prior approval or contacting me with a quote.
pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:35 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismolocal View Post
Whenever I need work done I call independent RV repair facilities and just ask them if they do Forrest River warranty work. If they say no, I call another place until I get a yes.

When I get a yes I schedule an appt to have it looked at. I tell them not to do any work until they get approved through Forrest River. If Forrest River doesn't approve it I have Good Sam. The important thing for me is to make sure they understand not to do any repairs without prior approval or contacting me with a quote.
you must be a fan of the Forrest Gump movie!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you must be a fan of the Forrest Gump movie!
Happens all the time to me. I live on Forest Hill Avenue in Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #10
Charlie & Sue

Warranty work when at distance from dealer

Usually find that where you get the best deals you get the worst service. In full-timer category, not usually near selling dealer when service needed and therefore have relied on independent on-site repair techs. Experience suggests best service from them. With my CC purchased in western Canada, I ended up in the east due to family illness. The western dealer arranged through CC contact for my warranty work to be done at CC dealer in New Brunswick. Do not know if all FR contacts were as cooperative as in my case; but, maybe with luck you can follow a similar path. Still a crap shoot as far as quality of work is, but I think the NB dealer was better than the selling one. Cheers.
mecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #11

On warranty repairs under a few hundred dollars I either do it myself or pay a good independent shop. I don't bother with trying to get participation from the manufacturer - not worth my time.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #12

anyone can perform your warranty work, though they'll likely get approval for costs and parts from your Manufacturer first. Some factories want to work only with 'their' dealers, but, honestly, your warranty does NOT say that, and cannot preclude you from using ANY shop of your choice. Now, whether the shop 'agrees' with the cost reimbursement from your Manufacturer is a different discussion altogether, though I think most would. Even if they charged you a little for the difference, it's a LOT cheaper than pulling your coach to the states!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #13

Great info from all. I appreciate the info provided.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #14

we have always purchased (except for this trailer) out of the USA and returned to Canada. in past we have paid for the repairs on our own and submitted the bill.
I understand that dealerships have their own clients which need to come first. that's a given and a respect matter.
We have never had an issue getting money back for warranty repairs done once submitted to FR.
we wait a bit to have the work done and schedule it out if not an emergency months in advance.
But we also saved 16 to 20 thousand over buying the identical trailers here.

Tags
dealer, warranty