Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2021, 06:29 AM   #1

week long trip issues

I just got back from a week long trip with the wife and my 2 boys, good thing is nobody killed each other was a great trip to Clifty Falls and Brown County Indiana. Two (2) issues I have questions for you

1) The drain hose in the fridge keeps plugging up and water leaks on the floor. I blow it out and it fixes it for a couple more days. Any idea? I don't see anything come out of it that would cause the blockage.

2) I have already gone through the air conditioner and opened up the vents and taped off the separation between the two (2) sides. but it seems like during the heat of the day I can only get it 10 degrees colder inside the trailer than the outside temp. It is on Auto, but instead of shutting down when it reaches temp, it like stalls out and then fires back up. Like the compressor shuts down, but not the fan. I heard it could be from low voltage at the power pedestal. I have a meter and will watch it now. Thoughts?

Let me know what you think.

thanks
Chris
ChrisMoore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMoore View Post

2) I have already gone through the air conditioner and opened up the vents and taped off the separation between the two (2) sides. but it seems like during the heat of the day I can only get it 10 degrees colder inside the trailer than the outside temp.

Let me know what you think.

thanks
Chris
Late in the day once the camper is in the shade do you get a bigger temp differentiational? If no that rules out the cooling load caused by the sun.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:21 AM   #3

it seemed like I could get 10-12 degrees. But at night it would finally shut off.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:31 AM   #4

any other thoughts?
Old 06-23-2021, 06:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMoore View Post
any other thoughts?

One big issue I can see is you've set the AC to Auto, which is a big no-no, according to what more than one RV tech has told me in the past. Now this is probably not the immediate cause of what's going on with your AC unit. However, next time you use it, turn your AC to On and leave it there. When your thermostat senses a temp higher than what you've set, AC will kick in to get it cooler, then stop when it gets to the temp you've set. The fan on the AC will continue to run and circulate the air and keep it from freezing up, but the AC will only kick in, when necessary.

Since I've followed what I've been told on my first 5'er, I've never had another AC issue with any of the other two 5'ers I've owned.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
One big issue I can see is you've set the AC to Auto, which is a big no-no, according to what more than one RV tech has told me in the past. Now this is probably not the immediate cause of what's going on with your AC unit. However, next time you use it, turn your AC to On and leave it there. When your thermostat senses a temp higher than what you've set, AC will kick in to get it cooler, then stop when it gets to the temp you've set. The fan on the AC will continue to run and circulate the air and keep it from freezing up, but the AC will only kick in, when necessary.

Since I've followed what I've been told on my first 5'er, I've never had another AC issue with any of the other two 5'ers I've owned.
I've witnessed this in cars too. Ac was on MAX setting and would stop working while on a long road trip. Then after a lunch stop, would work great for a while until it iced up. Solution was to turn the dial a little warmer and not work the compressor 100% of the time.

As to fridge...are there any kinks in the line anywhere? Is this a condensation drain? I am not familiar with it. If you were getting green algae or mold, then it would be more understandable. Maybe you got the hose from the bottom of the reel and it had a kink in it from when it was spooled??
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #7

I use a 20 inch fan to move air around inside my camper... I point the fan at 45 degrees toward the ceiling... moving air, even if warm, makes you feel cooler and evens out the stratified air within the camper

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
I've witnessed this in cars too. Ac was on MAX setting and would stop working while on a long road trip. Then after a lunch stop, would work great for a while until it iced up. Solution was to turn the dial a little warmer and not work the compressor 100% of the time.

As to fridge...are there any kinks in the line anywhere? Is this a condensation drain? I am not familiar with it. If you were getting green algae or mold, then it would be more understandable. Maybe you got the hose from the bottom of the reel and it had a kink in it from when it was spooled??

I don't see any kinks. I blow thru the hose and what ever is in there comes out and blows free. But nothing is seen coming out. I can feel the blockage and have my son hold a paper towel over the little bowl and nothing but water comes out. Maybe it could be some mold that just breaks free but does not come out. Anything I can pour down the hose to eat that mold up? just a thought
Old 06-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #9

Bleach water. That will kill the mold. There may be better projects, but this is how we fixed the drain from a friends home AC unit in FL a few years ago.
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote