Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

We're remodeling our bathroom/bunk area - need advice please

Hi everyone! New to the forum, been RV'ing in Europe and here in the U.S. since 1988. We've always owned travel trailers of one size or another. We currently own a 04 Cherokee 29Z that we bought new along with a 04 Nissan Titan that we pull it with. We love the trailer and the tow vehicle but now that all the kids have grown and left the nest we wanted to remodel the trailer.

We're going to remove the bunks in the bank, remove the bathroom wall and door and a cabinet, and install another bathroom sink and vanity. That will give us more room in the bathroom and a sink for each of us. Oh, and install a sliding, accordion type curtain for privacy.

So far we've removed the two bunks and are now contemplating how to remove the bathroom wall and cabinet. We're not exactly sure how they are connected. From what we've read so far here on this site and some others they may be screwed from the outside under the skin. But from what we've seen on how the bunks were constructed we don't think so. We're not re-using any of it so if we have to destroy it to remove it that's fine with us.

We're at a stopping point until we are sure that we won't have to remove the skin. If we do, then we'll change our renovation plans, that's not something we want to tackle. We don't have the facility and I don't have the time. (full time working stiff)

So I need recommendations/advice from you all about how to remove the wall and cabinet. (and about anything else on this project)

I put all the pics on Picasa, you can see all the before/progress pics here, the captions on the pics tell a lot - https://picasaweb.google.com/1065331...railerReBuild#

We also need some advice about where to purchase another sink and vanity.

Happy trails!
sasilverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and to the forums. Hope you enjoy the stay, and learn a lot, and can teach others what you already know.

Moved this over to the Cherokee thread. Hope you get some answers soon.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #3

Welcome -
Now, be sure sure sure the wall you wish to remove is not a "supporting" wall. I know it is not a house - but maybe it is, just one moving down the road. The walls may have to be in place to support a roof load, as in walkable roof. I am not sure on this, just try to ensure you do not structurally weaken the TT.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote