Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Julie View Post
When 1st setting up we use ground chocks and when camper is level all the way around then we put in the x-chocks and tighten as much as possible, after finishing set up of camp we go back and tighten x-chocks one last time. Also if we are out for more than a few days we check again just to be on the safe side.
X2 I never disconnect without the chocks installed, even on a level surface.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #22

I just got a new set of X-Chocks for Father's day and am looking forward to using them. I did read the insert and understood the process and the purpose of the process, makes good sense to me.

Now, all you X-Chock owners, do they make a difference in your "felt" camper movement?
mrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
I'll have to agree with windrider on this.

It's my understanding the X-chocks or the pinch down kind (I've used both) are for stabilizing the fore and aft movement of the tt after you're set up. They're the first thing I remove when tearing down.

You should always use ground chocks to stop trailer movement. They're the first thing I do before unhitching and I only remove them after hitching up.
This is what I do as well. X chocks go on last and come off first when leaving. Trailer is always chocked on the ground as soon as we are ready to unhitch. Then I use the x chocks.
FR28footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurph View Post
Now, all you X-Chock owners, do they make a difference in your "felt" camper movement?
Yes, I really think they help.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #25
Steve Jackson

kjoh75: I have the same type of driveway. I use 4 chocks. I put them under each tire then move camper fwd slightly to set them tight. Like yours I have to have the front jack extended all the way to get it almost level but not quite.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #26
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Also - one IS able to pull the trailer over (and thoroughly squish) plastic chocks, don't ask how I know.
Oh yes... I know this all to well. And when your pulling and ultra light weight with a 3/4 truck you'll never even notice it...

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #27
Steve Jackson

Are we saying I shouldn't trust the plastic chocks in my downhill sloped driveway? Is there a chance they can just crush under the downhill pressure of the trailer? I do level out the trailer as much as I can does this shift some of the weight towards the rear of the trailer.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #28
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
Are we saying I shouldn't trust the plastic chocks in my downhill sloped driveway? Is there a chance they can just crush under the downhill pressure of the trailer? I do level out the trailer as much as I can does this shift some of the weight towards the rear of the trailer.
I trust the plastic chocks to do their job to keep the trailer from rolling, just not to stop when being pulled by your TV...

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #29
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoh75 View Post
I had the tongue jack on a block of 4X4 wood 6 inch high. The tongue jack slipped off the wood block. The camper rolled forward about 6-8 inches.
Besides the chocks, I think that the fact the jack slipped off the wood caused the damage to the stabilizers. I myself am weary of putting anything unstable under my jack foot as it can easily fall over.

I find that when I extend my jack to the highest, the foot moves forward an inch or so; this action on a small piece of wood (4x4) just spells TROUBLE as it can easily tip it over.
On my sloped driveway I use a cinderblock with the widest side down, at a fore/aft placement, to give the foot room to 'walk'. I probably will eventually get a taller jack (24") to accomodate my sloped driveway and higher hitch ball on my Ram and this way I won't need anything under the foot.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #30
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
Besides the chocks, I think that the fact the jack slipped off the wood caused the damage to the stabilizers. I myself am weary of putting anything unstable under my jack foot as it can easily fall over.
I had that same fear. I use one of these to help me feel a bit more secure.

Trailer Tongue Jack Stand - Intersource Enterprises D10-126 - Towing Accessories - Camping World

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
Old 06-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #31

Had a similar experience camping at Kansas speedway in april.... Site was not level. After making a fool of myself backing into the site...Chocked one side only....only to find out I needed the chicks on the low side!!! Trailer popped off the ball and rolled off the lynx levelers,and moved quite a bit to the low side. Lesson learned. Chock all wheels always....take the parking brake off and the the trailer settle on the chocks prior to Unhitching.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #32
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilvius View Post
I had that same fear. I use one of these to help me feel a bit more secure.

Trailer Tongue Jack Stand - Intersource Enterprises D10-126 - Towing Accessories - Camping World
I like it. The stand is 8 1/2'" tall but how far down does the jack go into it? All the way to the bottom, half way....etc.....I am wondering if it would still give me some extra height.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #33

Reading all of these bad experiences in this thread, I am VERY glad that I invested in the RotoChok's - Rotochok Online .

The only "bad" experience that I had with them was the time that I forgot to remove them after hooking-up (I was rushing, as it was starting to pour rain!). I dragged the TT, with all 4 wheels firmly locked, about 5 or 6 feet before I realized why it was pulling so hard. No damage done.

The RotoChok's come in a variety of sizes, so they'll fit most tire sizes and axle spacings.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #34
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
I like it. The stand is 8 1/2'" tall but how far down does the jack go into it? All the way to the bottom, half way....etc.....I am wondering if it would still give me some extra height.

The one I've got has about a 2" cup at the top to hold the jack, so you get about 6"-6 1/2" of additional height.

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR28footer View Post
This is what I do as well. X chocks go on last and come off first when leaving. Trailer is always chocked on the ground as soon as we are ready to unhitch. Then I use the x chocks.
Well, I do it exactly the opposite. The first thing I do before unhitching is put in the Bal X chocks on both wheels and the last thing I do before leaving is removing the X chocks. I don't want the trailer moving until I am ready, I just don't trust putting blocks in front of or in the rear of the trailer wheels as the sole means of keeping it from rolling. As soon as I have it hooked up, I set the truck emergency brake, put the tranny in park, then remove the x chocks and then try the trailer brakes and off we go. I may be doing it all wrong, but I feel comfortable with it.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #36

Is there no way to apply voltage to the trailer brake to keep it from moving while hitching/unhitching, maybe a relay? Trusting ground chalks, x-chalks or any other chalk is hard for this newbee.
TDevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Well, I do it exactly the opposite. The first thing I do before unhitching is put in the Bal X chocks on both wheels and the last thing I do before leaving is removing the X chocks. I don't want the trailer moving until I am ready, I just don't trust putting blocks in front of or in the rear of the trailer wheels as the sole means of keeping it from rolling. As soon as I have it hooked up, I set the truck emergency brake, put the tranny in park, then remove the x chocks and then try the trailer brakes and off we go. I may be doing it all wrong, but I feel comfortable with it.
X-chocks say NOT to put them on until the trailer is off the hitch. They also say to take them off before you hitch up.

There is some pressure you are putting on your tires since they are chocked as the trailer jack raises and lowers the front end.

But we all have different ways fo doing things. I just don't want to put that much pressure on the tires when the tongue is raised. I do have all wheels chocked before I take off the x-chocks when leaving and all tires chocked while taking it off the TV. Then I add the x-chocks.

Seems to work ok and I get no trailer roll doing it this way.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR28footer View Post
X-chocks say NOT to put them on until the trailer is off the hitch. They also say to take them off before you hitch up.

There is some pressure you are putting on your tires since they are chocked as the trailer jack raises and lowers the front end.

But we all have different ways fo doing things. I just don't want to put that much pressure on the tires when the tongue is raised. I do have all wheels chocked before I take off the x-chocks when leaving and all tires chocked while taking it off the TV. Then I add the x-chocks.

Seems to work ok and I get no trailer roll doing it this way.
Don't disagree that there might be some strain put on the tires with the xchocks in place before raising or lowering the trailer, but I doubt it is near as severe as when making even normal turns while towing or if the trailer rolls into a 4x4 or the strain the xchocks themselves put on the tires when they are tightened. It all boils down to doing whatever makes you feel comfortable.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #39

I use a set of these on opposite sides and then have the plastic chocks also.
Rubber Wheel Chock with Eyebolt
Then the Xchocks go in. Ground chocks are the last thing after the truck is hooked up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_16777[1].jpg
Views:	130
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	15729  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Don't disagree that there might be some strain put on the tires with the xchocks in place before raising or lowering the trailer, It all boils down to doing whatever makes you feel comfortable.
Agreed