Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 05:30 AM   #1

Why is black tank flush outlet on the opposite side Grey Wolf 23DBH

Any clue why the put the black tank flus on the opposite side of the dump valves on my rig style? I never use it because the hose doesn’t reach.

Has anyone tried to relocate it?
Old 07-10-2020, 06:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mch5jdm View Post
Any clue why the put the black tank flus on the opposite side of the dump valves on my rig style? I never use it because the hose doesn’t reach.

Has anyone tried to relocate it?
We assume you’re talking about the flush INlet, right?
We’ve had this question before. As I remember, owners with this set-up buy an extra hose.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
We assume you’re talking about the flush INlet, right?
We’ve had this question before. As I remember, owners with this set-up buy an extra hose.

Thanks and yes the flush inlet. It just seems counterintuitive for it to be on the opposite side. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:47 AM   #4

My guess is that it’s the Jim Croce principle. “You don’t spit into the wind.”
The best way to flush anything is to hose it in the direction you want it to go. Hence the black water flush opposite of the dump valve.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianocnj View Post
The best way to flush anything is to hose it in the direction you want it to go. Hence the black water flush opposite of the dump valve.
This may sound logical, but waterlines can be routed from just about anywhere to just about anywhere — just like wiring. There really is no logical reason for the black tank flush inlet to be on the opposite side of the RV other than to cut costs of installation.

Bruce
Old 07-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #6

I imagine that it's because that's the 'high side' of the black tank, meaning that the tank slopes 'down' toward the sewer outlet, from the passenger side toward the driver side, which would then make it hard for any 'flush' to reach the opposite higher side, otherwise...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
KSH

1 simple answer. Lazy design. I noticed this when shopping as well, and was a negative for me on those models.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #8

I figure it is to separate the city water supply and black flush. I also figure if they didn’t there would be more.... I flooded my RV stories. If it was on the “better” side of the RV I would use it more.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #9

It was put on the opposite side for convenience of install at the factory . no other reason . To assume the builders put in any brain power on Black Tank flush is overstating the brain power going into design of these units . IMHO
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #10

I would venture a guess that the black tank flush was put on the opposite side than the portable water intake to prevent dummies from hooking up their portable water hose to it. Gives the inexperienced time to think about what they are doing as they walk to the other side. For those that their hose does not reach, try two or more hoses connected together. Hoses come in 25 and 50 foot lengths.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianocnj View Post
My guess is that it’s the Jim Croce principle. “You don’t spit into the wind.”

Love a Croce reference!
Old 07-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #12

Well I doubt the designer was concerned about folks getting the potable water and the black flush hoses reversed. I'm buying a 2608BS, if the dealer ever gets done setting it up, only been a little over a month now. This trailer has the fresh water and the flush system both plumbed to the right rear corner of the trailer! Dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. I was recently in another thread where the subject of why things are designed the way they are and one fella stated "I guess that just proves that the people who design RVs aren't RV users."
When I do get my new trailer I plan on running the regular flush water hose to where the dump valves are, hooking in a hose shut-off valve and then running a jumper hose to the Flush inlet at the right rear corner. Makes more work and expense for the person who's buying the rig, but the fact is, these big companies don't believe in quality or ease of use any more, just how much profit they can make.
Paul
GrandpaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #13

not all dump stations can exrend

Big problem I’ve seen is not all dump stations flush hoses have ends you can screw an extension Hose onto. I’ve had to hold quite a few up to the bflush port and use my hands to make a seal. I even have one of those rubber hose adapters where one end is a hose male connector and the other a rubber bed to slip over something. To do that with an extension would be a pain I think it’s a big negative
Tim-Nancy-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Nancy-C View Post
Big problem I’ve seen is not all dump stations flush hoses have ends you can screw an extension Hose onto. I’ve had to hold quite a few up to the bflush port and use my hands to make a seal. I even have one of those rubber hose adapters where one end is a hose male connector and the other a rubber bed to slip over something. To do that with an extension would be a pain I think it’s a big negative
Many of the hoses I encounter are just cut off ends. I carry an extra winterizing Blow out adapter that's a different color so i only use at dump stations. Screw into fitting on TT, push dump station hose onto the quick disconnect nipple, and press the button for water..

WA State rest areas have recently installed heavier duty pieces of hydraulic hose that hold up better than the old "air hose" they used to use but they have a threaded fitting on the end that doesn't mate with the flush inlet.

I plan on just building an adapter that i can screw on and off their hose as needed.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I figure it is to separate the city water supply and black flush. I also figure if they didn’t there would be more.... I flooded my RV stories. If it was on the “better” side of the RV I would use it more.
I don't think that is why, our city water inlet and black tan flush inlet are about 6" apart in a compartment on the side of the camper, right above the waste pipe connection.

I think it is being lazy and cheap in the factory
Old 07-13-2020, 05:25 AM   #16

May be due to the location of the bathroom and black tank. Owned a Flagstaff 21DS, bathroom in the back corner black tank flush in the back right corner.
I now own a Flagstaff 26FKBS, bathroom and black tank flush located on passenger side. I use a longer hose to reach the flush. Makes sense to me that you would want minimum distance from the flush hookup to the black tank
Csbadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csbadvisor View Post
May be due to the location of the bathroom and black tank. Owned a Flagstaff 21DS, bathroom in the back corner black tank flush in the back right corner.
I now own a Flagstaff 26FKBS, bathroom and black tank flush located on passenger side. I use a longer hose to reach the flush. Makes sense to me that you would want minimum distance from the flush hookup to the black tank
It makes no difference where the bathroom or the black tank are. All that would need to be done during the build is to run a waterline from the driver’s side where the rest of the hookups are to wherever a vacuum breaker can be installed, then from the vacuum breaker to the black water flush.

Think about what you wrote about running your hose to the other side of the RV to connect to a tank flush there. Your hose is just as long, if not longer than if the waterline was run the way I described, so where you connect your hose to the side of the RV makes no difference at all.

Bruce
Old 07-13-2020, 05:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
It makes no difference where the bathroom or the black tank are. All that would need to be done during the build is to run a waterline from the driver’s side where the rest of the hookups are to wherever a vacuum breaker can be installed, then from the vacuum breaker to the black water flush.

Think about what you wrote about running your hose to the other side of the RV to connect to a tank flush there. Your hose is just as long, if not longer than if the waterline was run the way I described, so where you connect your hose to the side of the RV makes no difference at all.

Bruce
VERY true our black tank is on one side and the flush inlet on the other.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:05 AM   #19

Other than just being cheap, the only valid reason I can think of that might make the manufacturer put the inlet in a stupid place is if the waterline from the connection to the vacuum breaker or from the vacuum breaker to the tank would have to be trapped to make the journey. This would be a problem for those who don’t winterize the black tank flush line from the inlet to the tank.

Bruce
Old 07-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
For those that their hose does not reach, try two or more hoses connected together. Hoses come in 25 and 50 foot lengths.
They come in a lot more lengths than that.

https://www.amazon.com/garden-hose/s?k=garden+hose

Connect enough of them together you could eventually go around the world.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, grey wolf, tank