Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #1

Window Condensation Problem

When we have the heat on during chilly days/nights, the windows have a lot of condensation on the inside of my 2013 Grey Wolf 28 BH. Turn on the bathroom exhaust fan to pull out some of the humidity but only has a minor effect. I look around at other campers and do not see many rigs with the same issue. Usually have the thermostat set on mid 60's. Any suggestions?
Bradlo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

Other than stop breathing, not much you can do. Warm, humid air meets cold glass. I've never had a real problem with it, but I did get fogged up windows a few weekends ago. It was down in the lower 40's...not bad, but nippy. I warmed it up to nearly 70 then ran the AC for about fifteen minutes and dried it out. Stayed defogged for the rest of the night.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #3

Humid:

Okay, have had this problem in the past, the first thing you want to do is, close the windows and vents, if then humidity inside is 60% and the outside is 80%, just guessing, by opening the window or vents, you are sucking all the extra humidity from the exterior inside, thereby condensation on the windows: What you want to do is simple, get a good de-humidifier, turn it on with the furnance running, this will suck what moisture is in the air inside the coach, does not interfer with the heater in any way, bingo, condensation gone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradlo3 View Post
When we have the heat on during chilly days/nights, the windows have a lot of condensation on the inside of my 2013 Grey Wolf 28 BH. Turn on the bathroom exhaust fan to pull out some of the humidity but only has a minor effect. I look around at other campers and do not see many rigs with the same issue. Usually have the thermostat set on mid 60's. Any suggestions?
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #4

X2 on dehumidifier. You will also find the trailer will feel warmer when using the dehumidifier (less humidity and everything is dryer).
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #5

same deal on my 2013 Wildwood. I doubt not much can be done. Single pane glass. Glass is much colder than the inside air so condensation is the result.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Love My Sunseeker

Eva-Dry has some good products: I use this one: Eva-Dry 1100 Petite Dehumidifier It's a small one, pulls 2.3 amps, is quiet. Oh, don't buy the "crystal absorbers:" Eva-Dry 500 Mini-Dehumidifier I tried these. They are supposed to last 5 years. well, if you drop one, the crystals fall out, and they are no good. Not worth it to try to get a replacement under the 5 year warranty. I also have Eva-Dry's larger dehumidifier Eva-Dry 2200 Electric Dehumidifier But I find that the smaller one works fine.

I also have Damp Rid's DampRid Hanging Moisture Absorber, Non-Toxic Moisture Absorber, Fragrance Free Moisture Absorber, Moisture Absorber for Closet hanging all over my RV and in the closets.

With all I have going on, I don't get much condensation on my windows. I'm in a Class C Sunseeker, I also leave the driving compartment windows open a crack behind the curtain with a Damp Rid hanging from the steering wheel.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #7

Dryer

Hey, I forgot to add that, also smells so much nicer to don't you think. We have ours fixed where it will drain into the shower rather than the holding tank:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
X2 on dehumidifier. You will also find the trailer will feel warmer when using the dehumidifier (less humidity and everything is dryer).
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #8

Quote:
same deal on my 2013 Wildwood. I doubt not much can be done. Single pane glass. Glass is much colder than the inside air so condensation is the result.
You can install the plastic film insulation kits inside the trailer. Using a hair dryer to tighten the film. This help to reduce the condensation on the windows and also cuts down on any drafts. Also of cooler nights if you hang a blanket over the doors it helps keep the trailer warmer. Have seen some trailers with the slides wrapped with the foil insulation It does not look nice but if it keeps the trailer warmer why not. Plus is you are doing a lot of cold weather camping you can purchase a skirt that will snap on to the side of the trailer keeping the draft from under the trailer.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote