Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #1

Winterizing forest river patriot 26dbh

I am a newbie to travel trailers. I am trying to winterize for the cold Nebraska winter. As far as I can tell I have bypassed the water heater. My instruction manual says to put antifreeze I the fresh water tank and run the pump opening the faucets. I put 4 gallons in my fresh tank and ran the pump and... nothing. 1)The manual says to make sure there's enough antifreeze to meet the "minimum level" for water pump, but i can't find any info on what that minimum level is. Could that be my problem? Not enough fluid? 2). I thought about getting the winterization kit for the water pump to pump antifreeze right out of the bottle, but I don't know how to locate the pump. I can hear it running somewhere toward the rear on the driver side. 3) I'm going to try to attach a pic of my water heater bypass. Can someone tell me if I did this correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171021_150614.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	154801  
goddess330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #2

The valves look open. But the way your bypass is plumbed, it looks to be bypassed on your model. Most valves are open when the handle lines up with the pipes. Just check to be sure your heater is still empty and you're golden.

I would never put antifreeze in fresh water tank. Drain it back into the antifreeze bottles (Fresh tank should have a drain plug underneath trailer) and you are going to want to rinse that tank a few times. Next, get a winterizing kit, its not an option and very easy to install.

I have no clue where your water pump is, but if you can here it, look there. Its normally not difficult to access (Under bed, Dinette, cabinet etc.) and normally close to water tank.

Im not going to go thru the entire process, there is a ton of information and videos for that.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #3

On my 2018 27dbs water pump is right beside the hot water heater, but the line going to the suction side of pump is crimped on the strainer side. So I did the same as you, followed the instructions an poured 6 gallon in tank an then pumped it through.
Darrinlambier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #4

you tube has a ton of videos on this and none of them say put it in the fresh water tank as it would seem to be the easiest way to do it., your pump might be under you sink, can't be that hard to find. Do what K2 kevin suggested also.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #5

The water pump should be in the rear driver side outside storage. Mine has a piece of wood covering it, that needs removed to access the water pump.
Bradshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #6

I have a 2018 26DJSE. The water heater pic you posted looks just like mine when in bypass mode. I put it in bypass mode, pulled the anode to allow heater to drain. Called Coachnet , said to turn on pump, turn on all faucets one at a time to purge remaining water from system. 3.5 gallons of antifreeze into FW tank turn on pump and run cold faucets and then hot faucets till antifreeze comes out. Are you opening one at a time or all open at once ? Pressure too low with all open at once maybe?
sheem2153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #7

Pump is under the 1st bunk....
Get the kit super EZ...

(2016) Nights Camped - 25 in 7 trips
(2017) Nights Camped - 26 in 8 trips
CampDBH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, winter