Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #1

Winterizing my Cherokee 29b+

Okay. I need winterizing help. I have read online guides and have a good idea what to do. Now I need a little specific help since this is all new to me. I supposedly have the winterizing kit on my Camper. So I hook up a hose and put the RV antifreeze there suck it in. So, exactly where do i look for my pump? I looked at the outside access doors and none of them are it. Also where do i look for my water heater? Also I will need to drain my fresh water tanks. I know how to do grey and black but have no idea where the freshwater drain is. I guess i could leave the water run and flush alot but i suppose there is a drain valve somewhere. Is there a good book because my owners manual seems so generic it really does not explain anything.

thanks
Steve
steveqvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Hmmm. Boy, I applaud you for wanting to do it yourself, but if you're unaware of what your water heater looks like, you have quite a learning curve coming up.

First, I recall you mentioned earlier that your pump makes a lot of noise. Trace the location and voila - there you will find your water pump. It could be under a bunk, inside a cabinet, etc... hidden but usually accessible, though sometimes from an outside storage door.

The water heater is best found from looking outside first. You'll see a hinged metal door 14x14 or 14x16 or so with a mesh grill in one corner. When you open it you'll see the outside of the water heater. Where to find the inside of it will be pretty obvious at that point.

You know, it is a pretty wise idea to ask someone experienced or even a pro to do it the first time and watch him carefully or be his helper in it this time. There is not a lot to winterizing, but there is a LOT that can go wrong if you do not winterize correctly. Repairing split plumbing or discovering water leaks next spring will make the few $$ you save now seem pretty stupid.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #3

Well Welshman I totally agree with you. But my camper is in a remote area and I have no means to haul it down or up the big hill so I will have to do it myself. So its out of neccesity not out of saving a nickel. I just didn't know if these things are in standard locations. I winterize my inground pool so I do have some idea how these things need to go. Now that you mentioned the grill I do remeber seeing that on the front of the camper by the door which would make it under or near the sink... I forgot to look there. I will have to trace that aircraft sounding pump down and check it out. for some reason I thought it would be accesible from the outside of the camper. I guess not though. If only manufacturers would provide a decent manual. Automobile manufacturers can, I don't understand why its a different standard here!

thanks
Steve
Old 11-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #4

Man I agree with that... a good manual would make all the difference. I'm sorry you're stuck this way. I just hate to see someone struggling and these online things are so darn limited. Wish I could just drop over and give you a hand.

My water pump is inside a cabinet door and is located pretty close to where the fresh water tank inlet is. And my water heater is underneath the kitchen sink so it could certainly be under your counter too.

Her's an idea that you might try. When you locate them, If you have a digital camera, snap a few closeup shots of the inside side of the water heater (pipes and fittings in front of it especially) and the water pump. We can walk you through winterizing around both of them.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
This site may help a little. The pics near the end will show you what you are looking for.

http://www.bitware.com/5er/winterizing.htm

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #6

Man that is excellent Jolly. Great pictorial.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #7

Thanks to both Jolly and Welshman. I hope it actually do the winterizing this monday since I will be there. Its a 2 hour drive from my house so I hope to get it right the first time. Missouri is a little far from Canada to just pop in and help so thanks anyway!! <grin> The pictorial is very good and I have printed it out!

thanks
steve
Old 11-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #8

If your 29b is like my 28a the pump is under the bathroom sink. 2 screws hold the bottom panel on. The water heater is on the front left of the trailer. If you move your queen bed mattress there is a access port around where your head would lay. It also has 2 screws. Take the screws off remove the piece of paneling and you'll be able to see your water heater bypass valve. Here is a picture of what it looks like through the hole. Turn the valve up. Now You can drain your Water heater.
Attached Images

Bduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #9

People.... people helping people.... are the luckiest people .... in the world.

What?

Old 11-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #10

very cool. i will check this all out saturday thanks to all the "people helping people" people! <grin>
Old 11-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #11

Just a quick post to everyone. Thanks again. I finally went this weekend and winterized the camper. I was a relativly easy process as my hot water heater had the bypass installed and I had the winterizing kit on my pump. The only problem I didn't anticipate was that the plug is 1" 1/16 size. I think I had the next size smallest 1" so it was a run to a little town in nowhere to find a socket. I had to buy the whole kit for the one socket but now I have it for the future! Otherwise it went easy.

thanks

Tags
cherokee