Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2022, 07:07 PM   #1

Wolf Pup 14CC Limited Door vs Steps Issue

Just bought a 2022 14CC and love it!

It has one major problem:

Apologies if this has already been addressed in a similar thread, but searching yielded nothing.

If the steps are up inside the camper, the door will close easily and seal around the exterior.

It's not a leveling problem

But if the steps are down in the usable position, the bottom horizontal edge of the door will not completely close and seal.

I traced this down to the fact that with the steps in the down position, the skirt covering the steps' hinges is about 3/8" too far out beyond the doorway. This causes the lower right corner of the door to hit the step hinge skirt, which in turn stresses the lower vertical door hinge, which then prevents the lower part of the door from sealing. It also makes it difficult to open the door if one manages to get it closed in the first place.

I have a solution, but I'd like to know if this is a known problem before I attempt it. My solution is to remove the screws, 8 altogether (4 on each side) that secure the steps' hinges to the floor of the camper, move the hinges inward about 3/8", then screw the steps hinges back into the floor. This should prevent the problem in the future.

Have any other 14CC Limited owners experienced this problem?
protonguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:42 PM   #2

If the steps have extendable feet, then shorten the feet up one notch. If it cannot be shortened any further, then dig out the ground where the feet hit.

If the steps and digging out the ground are not possible then add more height to the leveling blocks under the tires. This will raise the entire trailer up allowing more room for the steps to be fully lowered.
Old 08-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
If the steps have extendable feet, then shorten the feet up one notch. If it cannot be shortened any further, then dig out the ground where the feet hit.

If the steps and digging out the ground are not possible then add more height to the leveling blocks under the tires. This will raise the entire trailer up allowing more room for the steps to be fully lowered.
Thanks, but it's not a height adjustment issue. The problem is that the entire step assembly appears to be mounted at least 3/8" too far out from the doorway. When the steps are extended, regardless of height adjustment, this prevents the lower-right corner of the door from closing because the metal skirt covering the step assembly's hinges projects too far outward.

Here are attached images of the problem as well as a proposed solution (I have additional images if more clarification is needed):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220821_111125537.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	278085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220821_110946330.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	278086   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220821_113202023.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	507.2 KB
ID:	278087  
Old 08-21-2022, 03:48 PM   #4

Some additional images for the door/step problem...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220821_155421319.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	278104   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220821_155620947.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	278105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220821_155939298.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	278106  
Old 08-21-2022, 04:42 PM   #5

Now I see; yeah, photos are always the best vehicle for information.

Your approach is sound, remove the screws securing the step to the floor. Move it further inboard (but don't secure it just yet) and see if the door will close. If it does, then secure it in place. If it doesn't close, I'm all out of options other than filing a warranty claim.

On our trailer (as in your second photo) the vertical flange on the step is nearly touching the aluminum threshold of the door.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
Now I see; yeah, photos are always the best vehicle for information.

Your approach is sound, remove the screws securing the step to the floor. Move it further inboard (but don't secure it just yet) and see if the door will close. If it does, then secure it in place. If it doesn't close, I'm all out of options other than filing a warranty claim.

On our trailer (as in your second photo) the vertical flange on the step is nearly touching the aluminum threshold of the door.
Thank you. Yes, I too am shooting for moving the vertical flange to nearly touching of the threshold.

Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by protonguitar View Post
Thank you. Yes, I too am shooting for moving the vertical flange to nearly touching of the threshold.

Thanks again.
Update: I moved the whole assembly inward about 3/8", as indicated in my previous image.

Took less than 15 minutes and works flawlessly!

I'm wondering how this happens and isn't caught during QC inspections.🤔

Anyway, I am now a happy...er...camper!😜

Tags
door, steps, wolf pup