Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 01:40 AM   #1

Wolf Pup 16TS, anyone have one yet? Just put a deposit down.

Howdy all,

Well, the wife and I just put down a deposit for a new Wolf Pup 16TS "Patriot Edition" at AC Nelsen this past Sunday. We're excited to get RVing.

Does anyone have a 16TS yet? Apparently it's new for the 2021 model year, and even Forest River doesn't have much info on it. There's only 1 video about it on Youtube by Paul Sherry RV.

We wanted a small travel trailer as we will do weekend trips almost exclusively. The 16TS has a large 4-person dinette in the rear that converts to a decent size bed, so it works of one of our college-age kids wants to join us. The bathroom/shower is tiny, but it's fine for short camping trips. I was sold on the 10 cu ft fridge.

Only serious downside is the RV dealer is super backlogged and we can't pick it up for a month.

Couple questions:
Do I need a weight distributing hitch? My tow vehicle is a 2005 4Runner V8 and the 16TS is fairly light for a travel trailer. Also clueless as to the drop/rise of hitch I'll need.
Are there any recommendations for a jerry can/gas can mount? I'd like to carry a spare 5 gal gas can, but the 4Runner doesn't have a truck bed and I don't want the RV storage spaces to smell like gas. Thought of a bumper mount, but that could void the warranty and the bumper doesn't appear all that stout.

I have a brake controller ordered, and fortunately the 4Runner has a factory heavy-duty hitch and 7-pin connector already installed.
keefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:50 PM   #2

Did I say something wrong?

I was hoping someone could weigh in on the hitch/gas can questions.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #3

I don't think you did anything wrong, but your trailer is new so not many of us have seen one... I took a look and it is identical to my 16BHS in all the specs, but with a different floor plan. We also use our trailer for mostly weekend camping and it has been great for that. The only issue is the tank capacities, especially grey water. It is pretty much impossible for my wife and I to make it through a weekend without running out of grey water capacity. Black tank all good, which is certainly more important. If you start to take longer trips like we are starting to do full hook ups will be your friend... From a towing perspective even with a small trailer a weight distribution hitch will be a good idea, especially for an SUV like you have. I tow my Wolf Pup with a Ram 1500 that has the factory air suspension and I have been towing without any weight distribution or sway control with no issues. We don't typically go more than 4 hours away and I haven't had any issues.

As far as the gas can goes, I know on my Wolf Pup the warranty was voided by attaching anything besides the spare tire holder that is already there. In my opinion attaching a 5 gallons of gas back there just seems like a bad idea....
johnsamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:29 AM   #4
Vickilynn121

Hello,can't help with gas can question. We don't carry extra. I have a wolf pup,just saw the one you are talking about. Fell in LOVE, almost went right to the dealer to trade mine. Husband not yet convinced. Anyway this is really a good place to answers
Vickilynn121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:03 AM   #5

I have a similar sized travel trailer and tow with an SUV, and I find the WDH to be invaluable. I have an Equalizer hitch and when I am towing, I notice very little movement when I get passed by a semi or a big gust of wind hits me. I think it makes a big difference especially when towing with a bit of a smaller vehicle.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:01 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies all!

I pick my 16TS up on 18 Jul because the dealer (AC Nelsen) is so backlogged. Cost was only what was on the website plus a $200 fee (doc fee, I think).

We are contemplating getting something like a Ford F-250 diesel in the future, but not sure it's necessary. Maybe someday if we do a lot of RVing.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #7

Does your Wolf Pup come with the factory rear rack?
It attaches with brackets that clamp to the frame and partially rest on the "bumper".
If not, I recommend a set of the bumper supports then adding a small rack for gas cans.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #8

I just ordered the 2021 16FQ with juice pack and rear carrier. I have lots of experience towing (currently with 2007 Trailblazer and 2004 F150STX). If you are going to go on the highway then you NEED to use a weight distribution hitch with anti sway. This will let you have some sense of control. The kits will run between 240 to 350 with the sway bar. If you don't use a weight distribution system then you will lose control and steering when going over bumps or when large semis whip by you. Remember the trailer is 10.5' tall and long. It's a big wing behind you.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #9

The 16TS we are getting does not have the rear rack/carrier - just a spare tire. The bumper had that warning of voiding warranty if anything else is attached. I asked about swapping it out, but the dealer said the whole rear frame is different vs the rack model. I even said I'd pay to swap it out, but the sales guy didn't think it to be a good idea.

We will have the dealer install the "Equal-i-zer" hitch. It's spendy, but this is our first RV and I'd rather have the setup done by them with a hitch they support. Nice thing is we can take it with us if we change RVs or tow vehicles.

We reserved a campsite at KOA about 1.5 hrs away for our first outing. I figure I can see how the fuel usage will go and determine if I need a spare can after that. I hope a full tank will last that short trip!

We are going to "camp" in our driveway the first weekend we have it. I figure it will help us get a feel for whatever extras we need but didn't think of. Good thing is we can "moochdock" power and water - and only worry about the grey tank afterwards as we can use our house's restroom facilities.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #10

Careful about first time Heater use.

The first time the heater is run you may get some smoke and smell. Guess they are made in China and get sprayed with a film of oil so they don't rust on the way here. Some dealers know that and run them in their yards so you don't have any issues. Some others may not. I friend of mine purchased his out of state and camped at a truck stop half way back. They turned on the heater which caused a smoke condition and set off the alarms. The near buy truckers were all awoken as well.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
The first time the heater is run you may get some smoke and smell. Guess they are made in China and get sprayed with a film of oil so they don't rust on the way here. Some dealers know that and run them in their yards so you don't have any issues. Some others may not. I friend of mine purchased his out of state and camped at a truck stop half way back. They turned on the heater which caused a smoke condition and set off the alarms. The near buy truckers were all awoken as well.
True 'dis! Sets off the fire alarm. Fire up the gas heater AFTER opening the window.
I think your salesman was talking out the wrong orifice! It's not worth the price and effort to stock different frames just for the factory rear carrier.
You can get the bumper reinforcements for under $100 off Amazon. They are just big J hooks that bolt to the frame to support the thin metal bumper's weak welds. Then you can add to the bumper. Others have had a Receiver hitch installed that bolts or welded to the frame stringers. Then a bumper hitch platform is used.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #12

Here's the link to my exact 16TS:

https://www.acnrv.com/product/new-20...6ts-1239205-29

I want to ask - how hard and fast is the GVWR?

I looked it up and the 16TS has a GVWR of 3970 lbs, dry weight of 3204 lbs.
That gives just 766 lbs of cargo capacity. In theory, if all three tanks were full you'd have ~620 lbs of water weight - that leaves only 140 lbs for any cargo. Put 3 adults in there and you're way over. And that's not figuring in the stuff in the cabinets/storage/fridge, etc.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:18 AM   #13

Just bought this camper, from the same dealer. :-) After asking many friends who have pulled many trailers and campers, they convinced me to get a stabilizer set up for my trailer. Ordered one off Amazon for $270. Haven't used it yet, i don't pick up the camper until August.
Mbizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:37 AM   #14

It was my understanding that you're not to travel with water in the camper. That's just what I've been told.
Mbizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #15

Only issue when travelling with a full tank of water would be using caution on really rough roads - many people add extra supports below the fresh tank, though I'm not sure the size of the tanks on a wolf pup really need extra support. I've been over quite a few rough roads with a full tank of water with no issues. Lots of really slow crawling over large potholes to prevent excessive sloshing.

Also, @keefd - I don't know of any situations where you'd be travelling with all 3 tanks full... If your black and grey tanks are full, you've likely depleted your freshwater tank. That said, the trailer's label will be your best bet for actual ratings, I believe the online specs aren't always the most accurate.
graman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefd View Post
Here's the link to my exact 16TS:

https://www.acnrv.com/product/new-20...6ts-1239205-29

I want to ask - how hard and fast is the GVWR?

I looked it up and the 16TS has a GVWR of 3970 lbs, dry weight of 3204 lbs.
That gives just 766 lbs of cargo capacity. In theory, if all three tanks were full you'd have ~620 lbs of water weight - that leaves only 140 lbs for any cargo. Put 3 adults in there and you're way over. And that's not figuring in the stuff in the cabinets/storage/fridge, etc.
Hi Keefd,
That GVWR is pretty hard and fast, don’t exceed it! At 766 lbs, you’ll have to pack very carefully. You may want to consider even draining the water heater while traveling. That’s 50# there! Forget about the extra weight of a gas can. Also, your dry weight may be even smaller than 766 if there are any options installed.

You would never have all 3 tanks full at the same time. If you’re not hooked up to city water you’ll be limited to the fresh water capacity.

Good luck with your new camper!

Tags
wolf pup