Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #1

Wolf Pup 17JG

I read forums all over the internet, but have never actually become a member and posted anything. I just gave our local dealer the go ahead for a Wolf Pup 17JG purchase. After reading 100’s of posts here, I felt like I could get some useful information by joining and not feel like I’m going to get ripped a new one for asking dumb questions or posting in the wrong areas. The 17JG seems to be a fairly new floor plan, but wondered if anyone has one and could offer their thoughts on this model. We should be able to pick ours up this weekend and I’m chomping at the bit to see it as I’ve not actually seen the 17JG version in person. My wife and I thought this model would allow my 5 year old daughter to bring a friend with her someday and actually allow 4 of us to sit around the dining table when unable to eat outside at the picnic table. We have tent camped for years, but our last trip was filled with some pretty “crappy” shower and restroom experiences, so thought it was time to take that part of camping out of the equation. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #2

What are you going to tow this with?
Don't know if you'll need a Weight Distributing Hitch or not but you'll need a Trailer brake controller and 7 pin connector.
I have the Wolf Pup 16BHS. Weight adds up fast. Do not think of your travel trailer as a Vacation home when loading items . After the fact, I discovered that single axle trailer GTWR (Gross Trailer Weight Rating) adds the tongue weight carried by the tow vehicle to the trailer axle rating. So going off the GTWR, it is pretty easy to overload the trailer axle. This concern is for traveling, not stationary at the campsite.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #3

I’ve got a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500. It has the tow package. I’m installing a trailer brake controller before the weekend. Most people I’ve talked to say that I probably do not need the WDH, but that it’s not a bad idea. I usually like to error on the side of caution so I’m having the dealership install a WDH with sway control when we pick our unit up. Reading other posts on here has taught me A LOT. It made that decision easier and made me aware of the brake controller too. I’m a total newb to this, so any advice is welcomed.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
I’ve got a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500. It has the tow package. I’m installing a trailer brake controller before the weekend. Most people I’ve talked to say that I probably do not need the WDH, but that it’s not a bad idea. I usually like to error on the side of caution so I’m having the dealership install a WDH with sway control when we pick our unit up. Reading other posts on here has taught me A LOT. It made that decision easier and made me aware of the brake controller too. I’m a total newb to this, so any advice is welcomed.
I have the 16BHS and your layout is very similar with the exception of the slide for the dining table. My wife and I love our Pup and have had our 3 teenage and older daughters stay with us several times. It's a bit tight for 5, but it works! I tow with a Ram 1500 Hemi without weight distribution or sway control, but my truck has the factory air suspension for leveling. We travel mostly around WI within 4 hours of home and I haven't felt the need to add any sway control. Our only real issue so far was a bad water pump which I switched out myself for $75. I hope you and your family enjoy the camper!
johnsamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsamz View Post
I have the 16BHS and your layout is very similar with the exception of the slide for the dining table. My wife and I love our Pup and have had our 3 teenage and older daughters stay with us several times. It's a bit tight for 5, but it works! I tow with a Ram 1500 Hemi without weight distribution or sway control, but my truck has the factory air suspension for leveling. We travel mostly around WI within 4 hours of home and I haven't felt the need to add any sway control. Our only real issue so far was a bad water pump which I switched out myself for $75. I hope you and your family enjoy the camper!
Almost forgot... One critical number to know besides the weight.... Speed rating of your trailers tires! I was a rookie 2 years ago when I bought my trailer I had no idea about the wide variety of tires and ratings that end up on the same model trailer. Searching tires on this site will make your head explode with fear, but if you keep your tire pressure to the recommended number and stay within your tires speed rating life will be good!
johnsamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #6

Quote:
I lost a spring bar last trip out due to failing to fasten it properly (best guess). Towed it back without WDH. Wasn't going to run with just one spring bar intentionally. It towed fine although I was a little concerned about the high side winds we had on the interstate. So while I no longer need a WDH with my new truck, it still works great for anti sway and the TV & TT feel a lot more like one unit on the highway. Please get one of the WDH with sway control built in vice adding an extra friction bar. Extra parts and those seperate anti-sway bars have to usually be disconnected when backing, especially for tight backing turns.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate them. Any advice on time delay vs proportional brake controllers? I’m starting to feel overwhelmed.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate them. Any advice on time delay vs proportional brake controllers? I’m starting to feel overwhelmed.
Prodigy P2 or P3
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Forget the cheaper time based brake controllers. They apply more electrical power the longer you have the brakes applies. You have to operate them like your vehicle brakes on ice. They just lock the brakes up! I had my trailer brakes smoking a couple times with a timed controller, wheels hot to the touch, going up & down steep hills in a campground and then a long hill into town. I replaced that $60 controller with a $120 Prodigy, works great!
The proportional brake controller, like the Prodigy series, have sensors that decrease the braking pressure as you slow down. Directional orientation is a must for that sensor.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
RV There Yet?

I cant comment on this exact trailer other than the layout looks like it will fit your needs pretty well! the wolfpup line is pretty well built. We love ours!!

for sure go with a Prodigy brake controller, you wont regret it. you can, and should weigh the tongue of your trailer once you are all loaded up and ready for camping. We use the bathroom scale method, its cheap and we can quickly check our weights as things change. you may not need weight distorbution, but you may want to consider a friction sway bar.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-83660-Val...84443734&psc=1
Old 07-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #11

I'm so glad I joined this forum. I can't thank you guys enough for the help. I just ordered the Prodigy 3. Seemed like a no brainer to get it since it wasn't that much more than the Prodigy 2. Only bad thing is I had to pay for overnight shipping to get it installed by the time we pick up the TT on Saturday. We kind of jumped right into this without much planning. I'm sure I will be back with many more questions. Thanks again.

Tags
17jg, wolf pup