Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

wolf pup mattress

spent my first night in the pup. I would have been more comfortable with a sleeping bag out on the ground! It is a damn shame when Forest River would put out such a product. It is totally unusable. Why even put the thing in the rv when it will have to be replaced. Now, I can go spend some more money on a mattress.

Forest River, I feel that you should pay for this replacement!
mfriederichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
RV There Yet?

the mattress is cheap and light weight. as consumers we keep demanding less cost and lighter weight, so thats what they give us. think of it as an opportunity to customize it to your liking. the mattress in our 17rp is horrible. so we added 2-4 inches of memory foam under it. its a big improvement. we also installed those foam floor tiles under all of that to help with bottoming out and being on the OSB underneath. some on here have replaced with actual mattresses, we dont have that option as we have to fold ours in half to get it in and out. if you have a wolfpup 17rp its a Full XL, if not probably a short queen.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #3

we had the same issue with our Grey Wolf 23DBH, we added an $80 memory foam topper from amazon and it made a huge difference, my wife and I both sleep great now when we camp. the only issue is you'll probably have to trim a couple inches to make it fit

good luck
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Shawn.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:57 PM   #4

Yes they are no count!! Put a 10 inch topper on our 2019 wolfpup 18TO and sleep like a baby now!! Well worth the $$$!!!
auroraRNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:50 PM   #5

Concur with the replacement posts. I got an 8" foam short queen via Amazon for about $200 shipped. Zinus brand. SWMBO likes it better than our home bedroom mattress.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
the mattress is cheap and light weight. as consumers we keep demanding less cost and lighter weight, so thats what they give us.
You're on point with you comment. Its pretty common knowledge RV OEM mattress is junk. A mattress toppers works for us, but still not great. If I was camping more often or full timing, mattress would be day one replacement.

You know its going to be uncomfortable, so before you purchase, figure mattress replacement that into the price. Forest River is giving us exactly what we want, wonder if they offer an option to not provide a mattress and save the $30 (Not sure what the cost of that cardboard mattress is?) and BYOM.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
Jez

We are in the same situation with our brand new 18to. I actually just put on a 4" memory foam cool foam topper and it is amazing! Definitely keeps the temperature down some and I sleep a lot better.

Now if only the air conditioner wasn't SO darn loud.
2016 F-150
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:23 AM   #8

I think we “slept” on ours 10 min and decided to get a 4” topper. Air conditioner loud? It blocks out all of the noises outside by creating “white” noise. lol... It is quieter than the one we had in our pop-up.
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfriederichs View Post
spent my first night in the pup. I would have been more comfortable with a sleeping bag out on the ground! It is a damn shame when Forest River would put out such a product. It is totally unusable. Why even put the thing in the rv when it will have to be replaced. Now, I can go spend some more money on a mattress.

Forest River, I feel that you should pay for this replacement!

cheap is the name of the game on these. I looked for 3 months for at 3000lb trailer, I looked at the Viking, which is probably the cheapest made trailer in this class. The Winnebago Micro-Mini's seem to have the best quality, but higher priced and bland interior. The comparable trailer to the Wolf Pup 16bhs was the Forest River Sonoma, maybe a bit higher quality build than the wolf pup.

The mattress is cheap and lightweight so you can open the bottom for the storage and for weight in the trailer. Why would Forest River put a full queen that ways 4 x as much and advertise a higher weight ? Is your wife going to pull up the storage with a 70-100 lb mattress ontop?

Just about all the cabinets are not put together very well, but not as cheap as Viking. I looked at a brand new viking, opened the door and the whole thing came off. The wolf pup has a nice refrigerator, I got the full size one. Not the half size with the push latch that cuts into your thumb as you're opening the damn thing.

Overall I am happy with the trailer. Most of these trailers, no matter the price are cheap, unless your getting something in the 5th wheel or larger class where weight is not a big issue.
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:52 PM   #10

Yup...FIRST thing I did was ditch the stock mattress (errr...rather foam pad) and put in a real one!
Shawn17RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #11

wolf pup mattress

What’s nice about the stock mattress, it softens up to mush after a few years. It’s like a crunchy bowl of cereal, leave it in milk long enough and even your 100 year grandmother will say its too soft.

It’s a magical transformation from solid cardboard to tapioca pudding.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wolf pup