Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2021, 07:06 PM   #1

Wolf Pup rear rack spare tire

I finally decided to ask Forest River IF the spare was part of the 200# load capacity of the rear rack since many read the capacity is after the spare tire is mounted.

Me: Is the 200 pound load after the rack and spare tire? Or must the spare tire and/or the rack weight itself get subtracted from that 200# for what capacity is left?

FR Reply: Good afternoon.
Thank you for contacting Forest River. From what I am told the travel rack will hold up to 200 lbs.
No subtracting from the weight of the travel rack.

Me: But is the spare tire already allowed for before 200# or does the 40# spare come off the 200# leaving 160# capacity left?

FR Reply: Please include tire weight.

Clear as mud, eh?
Interpreting the sticker and the above, to me, the rack has 160# capacity with the spare mounted. Unfortunately, I can see how it could be interpreted the other way ;(
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #2

The rack has a capacity of 200 lbs as I see it the spare is an option which subtracts from the weight still allowed if it weighs 40lbs then you have 160lbs left.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
The rack has a capacity of 200 lbs as I see it the spare is an option which subtracts from the weight still allowed if it weighs 40lbs then you have 160lbs left.
Exactly.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Thatís what Iíve been saying all along (the way I interpreted the warning /load sticker) but every few months (it seems) somebody states something indicating otherwise. I was seeking FR to state it simply to be able to reference a quote for those people. NOT as clear as I expected.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:21 AM   #5

I was told by my dealer that the capacity is 200# and that you have to include the weight of the spare in that calculation. I'm adding 2 bikes, one spare 20# propane tank, and my dirty smelly gas grill. I also added the DOT reflectors. When using the rack, I may move the spare to the top as to provide greater ground clearance.

CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!)
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 206K For Pulling TT in the sand
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
I was told by my dealer that the capacity is 200# and that you have to include the weight of the spare in that calculation. I'm adding 2 bikes, one spare 20# propane tank, and my dirty smelly gas grill. I also added the DOT reflectors. When using the rack, I may move the spare to the top as to provide greater ground clearance.

At most you’ll gain about 4”, the slightly less than half of the tire cross section not taken up by the welded on steel mount strap. However, that gain may be enough and having the spare on top of the rack means that steel strap might drag but not the tire. I made the commitment and cut mine off. Currently, I’ve just put the spare tire inside the trailer under the front bed. I’m guessing it shifted near 60# to the tongue weight (40# tire on the other side of the axle teeter-totter) so I’m still looking at options.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Thatís what Iíve been saying all along (the way I interpreted the warning /load sticker) but every few months (it seems) somebody states something indicating otherwise. I was seeking FR to state it simply to be able to reference a quote for those people. NOT as clear as I expected.
My rear load is a smidge over - 2 electric bikes @65lbs each, 49 lbs for bike rack, probably 10 lbs for hitch extension/brackets and 40lbs for the spare. For now, I'm running straps from rack to both side of bumper to support the weight and to minimize the bouncing; so far so good after ~3k miles. Probably best to weld some metal support in the bumper for peace of mind.
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21wolfpupfq View Post
My rear load is a smidge over - 2 electric bikes @65lbs each, 49 lbs for bike rack, probably 10 lbs for hitch extension/brackets and 40lbs for the spare. For now, I'm running straps from rack to both side of bumper to support the weight and to minimize the bouncing; so far so good after ~3k miles. Probably best to weld some metal support in the bumper for peace of mind.
Your smidge is 19# over, for almost 10% over. BUT, your rack is upright, not loaded. How do you have the bike rack mounted? If using a receiver tube mounted to the bumper, not good. Thin metal that is not welded strong enough. Sticker on the bumper UNDER THE RIGHT RACK HINGE states warranty on the bumper is void if non factory items are mounted to it. The factory rack is clamped to the main frame rails and hardly rests on the bumper when pinned open.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Your smidge is 19# over, for almost 10% over. BUT, your rack is upright, not loaded. How do you have the bike rack mounted? If using a receiver tube mounted to the bumper, not good. Thin metal that is not welded strong enough. Sticker on the bumper UNDER THE RIGHT RACK HINGE states warranty on the bumper is void if non factory items are mounted to it. The factory rack is clamped to the main frame rails and hardly rests on the bumper when pinned open.
Yes, the receiver tube is mounted to the center of the bumper. Basically the factory rack is just a spare mount/carrier but I think the factory rack mount acts as a stop to prevent the bumper from twisting and the straps carry some of the weight of off the bumper. I guess the 200# cargo limit doesn't really apply to my application as I'm using the bumper to carry the bikes.
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #10

My neighbor had a bike rack mounted on the bumper of his trailer with 4 bikes, two were tiny bikes.
He came back with no bumper, the welder blamed the bumper material , said it was cheap thin steel. The bumper ripped off the frame of the trailer, welds survived.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:50 PM   #11

I removed the spare tire and carry it in my truck bed until I can get the mount to store it under the trailer.
largom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, wolf pup