Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2020, 07:33 PM   #1

Wolf Pup sink cover

When we bought our Wolf Pup 16 FQ, I really liked the larger stainless sink. However you sacrifice some counter top unless you got the Black Label edition, which included a matching disc of countertop as a sink cover. I believe the new models include this even if not the Black Label. (Mine is a 2019).
I really wanted the sink cover, but didn't want to have my dealer try to order me one for $45. So I located a piece of 3/4" plywood and cut it out to fit the sink. Now have a sink cover for more counter space, plus I keep a good coat of butcher block oil on it and it makes a great cutting board too.
We use it all the time.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200628_174651810.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	242300Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200628_174713320.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	242301
Virginian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:43 PM   #2

Nicely done,
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:50 PM   #3

Thanks.
I hope it can help someone who would like to claim a little usable counter space.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #4

Nicely done. $45 for a sink filler, same material as the counter? Borderline, but I’d pay it
I made a wood sink cover with 3/4” sides for my old style lipped sink and similar cover for my stovetop burners. Screwed up though. Going to remake the stove cover to be a little higher so I can leave the knobs in place and big enough to cover the counter clear to the two nearby walls. Right now it just covers the burner insert.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:33 PM   #5

Local Countertop Shop

Generally if you go to the local countertop shop, they will give you (or sell cheap) sink cutouts. These are what's left when they make the opening for a kitchen or bathroom sink.

Cut it to match the outside dimension of the sink opening. Then cut the back side with a straight or cove router bit so it nests nicely into place.

Formica and Corian are both great for this. The gold standard for wood inserts is maple. It doesn't splinter. Using pine or other woods for cutting boards for food preparation is not recommended.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #6

Real nice! I will say that our wolf pup came with a sink cover however the first time we went out with our pup the sink cover was ruined. As it turns out the tall faucets creat a vacuum and they drip while you are traveling. The sink cover was not made of the same hard surface as the counter top. It was made of particle board covered to match the countertop. When the faucet dripped the water got under the cover and ruined the wood.
Our dealer replaced the cover under warranty. We just leave it back on one of the bunks until we need it so it doesn’t get ruined.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #7

Nice Job. My 2021 16FQ Wolf Pup came with the cover. The next time I'm at the Restaurant Supply house I'm going to pick up a large plastic cutting board and cut it to size to replace the sink cover. This way it can serve two purposes. Will post pics when complete.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
Real nice! I will say that our wolf pup came with a sink cover however the first time we went out with our pup the sink cover was ruined. As it turns out the tall faucets creat a vacuum and they drip while you are traveling. The sink cover was not made of the same hard surface as the counter top. It was made of particle board covered to match the countertop. When the faucet dripped the water got under the cover and ruined the wood.
Our dealer replaced the cover under warranty. We just leave it back on one of the bunks until we need it so it doesn’t get ruined.

I've noticed the dripping too. So when we're packing up, and after I shut off the water pump (or disconnect from city water), I turn on the faucet for a few seconds to relieve the pressure. Stopped the dripping issue. The new campers have the cover made FROM the top. If you spin it correctly you can get the design to match up and it's water proof like the counter. I'd like to convert ours to a replaceable cutting board.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #9

I've also experienced the dripping faucet. I'll have to try relieving the pressure and see if it works for me.
Although the butcher block oil also contains beeswax and waterproofs the plywood, while also preventing it from absorbing contaminants and odors, we will probably pick up a regular hardwood cutting board before spring. Will continue to use the sink filler though. It has served both purposes well this year.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #10

I have a WP 16BHS Black Label on order. I noticed that they changed the sink cover from a solid circle like the OP made, to a split circle with a cut out in the middle. I like the look of the solid circle and was wondering why they would have changed it to be two halves with the hand hole in the middle. After reading this post, I get it. Now, with the cover on, the hole for the hands will also allow any drips to fall into the sink. Brilliant.
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:38 PM   #11

I like the idea of having a built in cutting board over the sink. Cutting on wood is easier for us than cutting on plastic. Just a personal preference.
Nice job.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I like the idea of having a built in cutting board over the sink. Cutting on wood is easier for us than cutting on plastic. Just a personal preference.
Nice job.

Many health departments no longer permit commercial establishments to use wood cutting boards. The plastic ones are much less expensive, don't need reconditioning and oiling (another source of contamination), and are detergent and commercial dishwasher safe. Some of the plastic ones are treated with anti-microbial solutions (I choose to stay away from those). Once the board becomes worn, you simply toss it, and purchase another.

But I, like you, do like the way butcher block looks. Would even use it for cheap countertops. I just wouldn't use it to cut on.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:35 AM   #13

I ordered the FR sink cover through my dealer and had it shipped directly to me. I think it was ~$50
Heatheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #14

Sink Cover

Our sink cover is just particle board on the bottom with a thin veneer over it. We camped this past weekend and the sink must have had water around the edge that was soaked up by the sink cover. We now have bubbles all around the bottom edge of our sink cover Why isn't this a solid surface like the countertop? Or maybe it's worth a trip out to the camper to see if the countertop is the same on the underside.
ChuzUThisDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuzUThisDay View Post
Our sink cover is just particle board on the bottom with a thin veneer over it. We camped this past weekend and the sink must have had water around the edge that was soaked up by the sink cover. We now have bubbles all around the bottom edge of our sink cover Why isn't this a solid surface like the countertop? Or maybe it's worth a trip out to the camper to see if the countertop is the same on the underside.
Ours is the same way. The cover that came with our trailer got ruined the first time out. Our dealer replaced the first one on warranty. The new one is the same construction so we just leave it on one of the bunks until it is needed. I will try what was suggested about releasing the pressure after unhooking to see if that works. If it does then we might be able to put it back in the sink.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Ours is the same way. The cover that came with our trailer got ruined the first time out. Our dealer replaced the first one on warranty. The new one is the same construction so we just leave it on one of the bunks until it is needed. I will try what was suggested about releasing the pressure after unhooking to see if that works. If it does then we might be able to put it back in the sink.

You can put a few coats of Polyurethane on it. A few thin coats with ample drying time between should make it water proof. This way you don't have to worry about it at all.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for that heads up. I'll see if I can do a warranty claim on it. If so, I'll try some type of sealant tape around that seam.
ChuzUThisDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
You can put a few coats of Polyurethane on it. A few thin coats with ample drying time between should make it water proof. This way you don't have to worry about it at all.
Good advice. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #19

All like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuzUThisDay View Post
Even laminate (Formica, Wilsonart, etc.) residential countertops are a thin impervious surface (about 1/16" thick) applied to a non-waterproof composite (particle board). When I re-did the residential kitchen, the countertop source advised me to coat the area where the dishwasher with a few coats of exterior varnish. That worked for me.

RV Sink covers are much more likely to get wet. Even if you try to keep them dry, the water level inside that arched faucet comes right to the top of the arch. As soon as you pull the trailer down the road, some will splash out. Most of us don't drain the plumbing mid-travel.

If this were an issue for me, I'd make a sink cover out of Corian. Corian is a non-porous solid composite--a solid plastic used for countertops. It's 12mm (about 1/2") thick. You work it with ordinary woodworking tools. I would go to the local countertop shop and ask for a "sink cutout", a scrap left from cutting a hole for a big residential sink. You could cut it yourself for the RV or have them cut it. You should be able to find a color that fits well with your current scheme. Lots of information here.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
Nice Job. My 2021 16FQ Wolf Pup came with the cover. The next time I'm at the Restaurant Supply house I'm going to pick up a large plastic cutting board and cut it to size to replace the sink cover. This way it can serve two purposes. Will post pics when complete.
Please post that when you do!
FortyFour44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, sink, wolf pup