Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #1

Wolfpup 2019-2021 Door issues

I have the 2019 Wolfpup 16BHS and I have a few neighbors with the 2021 model and we all have faced the issue of the entry door coming apart such that the metal framing that goes around the fiberglass front and foam core is pulling apart from each other. I think the problem stems from the use of the Friction hinges and nothing being used to keep the door horizontally tight. I wanted to know if anyone else is facing/seeing this issue? If so how are you resolving/dealing with it?
olag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #2

We have a 2021 Arctic Wolf 3660 with the friction door. Our camper is 7 months old and we have had the door replaced already. The same thing happened to us. The hinges were acting like they were stuck and the door started coming apart. Right before the door was finally replaced, it got to the point were the door wouldn't open or shut. In order to get it too shut, you had to literary slam the door as hard as you can but then we could barley get the door back open. From what I hear they have had a lot of issues with these doors. Good luck!
bkwood20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:15 PM   #3

Just brought home my 2021 Wolf Pup 16BHSBL with the same door. It is sitting out front frozen under 18+ inches of snow & ice and chilled to -10⁰F...but when things warm up I'll be watching that hinge like a hawk.
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olag View Post
I have the 2019 Wolfpup 16BHS and I have a few neighbors with the 2021 model and we all have faced the issue of the entry door coming apart such that the metal framing that goes around the fiberglass front and foam core is pulling apart from each other. I think the problem stems from the use of the Friction hinges and nothing being used to keep the door horizontally tight. I wanted to know if anyone else is facing/seeing this issue? If so how are you resolving/dealing with it?

olag,

We would be happy to assist you with your 2019 Wolf Pup. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Ronald Collins in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.forestriverinc.com/Direc...86543666587915.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_FR View Post
olag,

We would be happy to assist you with your 2019 Wolf Pup.

Respectfully,
Forest River
[emoji115][emoji15][emoji122][emoji106]
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #6

Friction Hinge Door Issue - 2021 Wolf Pup 16BHS-BL

Just bought a barely used 2021 Wolf Pup 16BHS-BL. The previous owner, a Lieutenant in the USN, just received orders to go overseas and had only purchased the TT two months prior. He told me when I bought the unit the entrance door was tight and hard to open, but after buying a ton of accessories, and the wife cleaning the trailer for our maiden trip this week, I noticed the door was getting increasingly more difficult to shut and open with every use. The bottom right corner of the door shows a little separation, and I'm convinced the issue is the friction door hinge, too. What is the process for getting this permanently repaired and if this is a known issue, does Forest River offer any financial help with the repair(s)?
Aaron M Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron M Rose View Post
Just bought a barely used 2021 Wolf Pup 16BHS-BL. The previous owner, a Lieutenant in the USN, just received orders to go overseas and had only purchased the TT two months prior. He told me when I bought the unit the entrance door was tight and hard to open, but after buying a ton of accessories, and the wife cleaning the trailer for our maiden trip this week, I noticed the door was getting increasingly more difficult to shut and open with every use. The bottom right corner of the door shows a little separation, and I'm convinced the issue is the friction door hinge, too. What is the process for getting this permanently repaired and if this is a known issue, does Forest River offer any financial help with the repair(s)?
I am curious how your WP trailer is sitting when you are utilizing the door. I have found that when I have my 2019 WP 16BHS parked in the driveway in a mostly unbalanced fashion, the door tends to be much more difficult to operate. However, when I have the WP at an actual campsite all set up and mostly balanced, the door becomes easier to operate. This may not necessary solve any apparent mechanical failures you are seeing, but thought I would mention the observation as a new WP owner.

Tow Vehicle: 2013 F-150 FX4 5.0L V8 w/ Lift Kit & Towing Package
TT: 2019 Wolf Pup 16BHS
knight1fox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #8

As I understand it, the hinge is a friction hinge. So children (or anyone) are less likely to get their fingers caught in it when the door slams shut. You can't slam a friction hinged door.

Now if the door is racked and /or de-laminating, then that is a problem.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron M Rose View Post
Unless there is a recall notice, the factory warranty is only good for the original owner and isn't transferable. Did the original owner have a 3rd party extended warranty? If so, it might be transferable.
The door is probably a Lippert product, there should be a door sticker. You could contact them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #10

knight1fox3, That's a fair question. Although I have not leveled the TT as you would at a campsite, it is sitting on a relatively level and lengthy driveway. We are still able to open, close, lock and unlock the entrance door, but it is more difficult than it should be. The slight separation I'm noticing in the bottom right-hand corner of the door is also a concern. We will have the TT covered, but we haven't purchased the cover at this point. Our maiden voyage in the TT is tomorrow. By the end of this weekend, I will know just how problematic the door issue will be. Thanks for you reply. This forum is awesome!
Old 06-16-2021, 10:23 AM   #11

bikendan, Thanks for the reply. The original owner did not have a transferable extended warranty, and he told me the original warranty wasn't transferable, when I purchased the TT. I will check on the sticker later today, but I suspect you are correct about the door being a Lippert product. Most of the WP 16BHS-BL TT's I've seen on YouTube and online have the black, tempered glass entrance door with the Wolf Pup etching on the bottom of the door. My TT, however, only has a white-colored door that matches the the rest of the trailer. I doubt that has any bearing on the issues I'm having, but if I end up having to replace the door, I intend to do it with the black door, if for no other reason than the improved curb appeal.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by olag View Post
Sadly, I am facing the same issue now - my delivery date was 6/11/2020 for a 2021 model;my last camping trip to Lake George was 6/11/2021 - no issues while camped but door became an issue a day later after arriving home.
I've emailed FR yesterday and got a reply today to contact my local FR dealer to 'have my issue addressed and a claim filed'.
There has to be a cross brace for the door as the foam/door is only being held all around by about half inch metal lip and with the friction hinges too tight and the door subject to extreme heating/cooling, the foam core will(eventually) separate/pull out from the door by the hinges.
IMO, This Challenger Door(Liippert?) is not designed correctly for the friction hinge door. Any same replacement door will suffer the same fate unless the lip all around becomes wider and support brace added.
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:36 AM   #13

Has anyone looked into or just know how it was made into a friction hinge. I mean is it a bent pin? Over size pin pressed in? I'm thinking of disabling some of the friction and put the old bumpers and hooks on it. I haven't used my trailer yet and kinda like to prevent this if I could.
coryrhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #14

I had the same thing happen to my 2021 22MKSE. I took it to the dealer last year, and they replaced it with 'improved hinges.' They said it was a known problem. Since getting it replaced, we've had no issues.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:14 AM   #15

Mine is not coming apart yet and am going to try lube on the hinge for now but may harass my dealer a little to see about improved hinges. Thanks
coryrhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
I had the same thing happen to my 2021 22MKSE. I took it to the dealer last year, and they replaced it with 'improved hinges.' They said it was a known problem. Since getting it replaced, we've had no issues.
Improved hinges = friction hinge still? My door is due to be replaced early Aug for warranty work along with the power outlet recall. I bought the non-friction hinge from lippert but they are not the ‘exact’ bolt on to the existing ones. Since my camping days are not really lined up for July, I might just wait for the replacement door but might have dealer/service install the non-friction hinge - unless the ‘improved’ ones will not cause the same issue.
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21wolfpupfq View Post
Improved hinges = friction hinge still? My door is due to be replaced early Aug for warranty work along with the power outlet recall. I bought the non-friction hinge from lippert but they are not the ‘exact’ bolt on to the existing ones. Since my camping days are not really lined up for July, I might just wait for the replacement door but might have dealer/service install the non-friction hinge - unless the ‘improved’ ones will not cause the same issue.
The improved hinges are still friction hinges, just smoother and not as much friction. It was a very noticeable improvement once we got it back. A heavy wind will close the door though, which it wouldn't with the old hinges. But we've only had it happen a couple of times now when it was really windy, and it wasn't a slamming shut like would happen on a non-friction hinge. We've done maybe 20 nights camping since getting the door and hinges replaced. No issues at all with the door coming apart now. We started seeing the issues pretty quickly with the old hinges and door.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #18

Just checked our 2021 18TO Black label edition and door looks fine. Something to watch for i guess.

— Herman Hesse
NCThiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThiker View Post
Just checked our 2021 18TO Black label edition and door looks fine. Something to watch for i guess.
Same here. We have a 2019 16BHS like the original poster so will definitely keep a close watch on this particular element.

Tow Vehicle: 2013 F-150 FX4 5.0L V8 w/ Lift Kit & Towing Package
TT: 2019 Wolf Pup 16BHS
knight1fox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThiker View Post
Spoke too soon. I am seeing the inside door panel pulling out of the aluminum door frame. I think when I checked a month ago I didn't operate the exterior door only. With the screen door closed and opening the exterior door it is plainly visible. About 3 months past the one year warranty, but I thought there is a 2 year on structural? I'll have to track down dealer or Forest river service.
NCThiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door