Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 10:58 AM   #1

112 sway bar kit front shock upgrade?

Does anyone know of a sway bar kit that can be added to the M2 112? Drove through 7-hours of horrendous wind yesterday although the XL did extremely well (I would have parked the old DP and waited it out) I figure a sway bar would help...

Any one switch to Bilstein front shocks?
Old 03-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #2

I would be very interested in this upgrade also. I have looked into the shocks and do not think that Bilstein makes shocks for the M2 112. I think you can get Konni, or Fox. I have heard of someone getting a front sway bar but could not find any information about it.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #3
TRN

My 2015 DX3 has Bilsteins, I assumed it came that way from the factory?
Old 03-25-2021, 01:14 AM   #4
Señor Miembro

Roadmaster

I've upgraded to Fox shocks and added a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. Those improved handling a fair bit (discussed in another thread), but it wasn't night and day change. Also, having the wheels balanced helped too. I'm not sure why they didn't come properly balanced from the factory. Maybe it just sat too long at the dealership. One rear inner is still out of spec and they can't fix it but I haven't had time to do much about it with all the other repairs & upgrades.

My 2019 XL is going into Roadmaster Monday to be fitted with their new M2-112 specific anti-sway bars. My rig is their guinea pig vehicle for developing their new 112 sway bar products. Great group of knowledgeable, professional people there. Ask for Josh Watson. He should have the new M2-112 sway bars in production shortly if not already. I'll try to remember to post how well the sway bars work. We have lots of winding hilly roads around home base to try them out.
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post

My 2019 XL is going into Roadmaster Monday to be fitted with their new M2-112 specific anti-sway bars. My rig is their guinea pig vehicle for developing their new 112 sway bar products. Great group of knowledgeable, professional people there. Ask for Josh Watson. He should have the new M2-112 sway bars in production shortly if not already. I'll try to remember to post how well the sway bars work. We have lots of winding hilly roads around home base to try them out.
I look forward to reading your review on the change in handling after completion and driving some miles. Especially in windy conditions and with semi trucks passing.
DRW907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:22 PM   #6

What sway bar end links does your unit have? My Force came from the factory with automotive style sway bar bushings. They were gone in no time. I found a Freightliner Service Bulletin 32-47 and had the unit fixed by Freightliner under warranty. The original sway bar bushings were Bayonette style and the new ones are Clevis Style.

I also had installed the Safe-T-Plus. Mine tracks very well.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #7
Señor Miembro

Houston, we have a problem.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
We're talking about the M2-112 that only come on the XL's. The DX3 and the Forces (I believe) are M2-106's. Different beast when it comes to sway bars.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post
I've upgraded to Fox shocks and added a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. Those improved handling a fair bit (discussed in another thread), but it wasn't night and day change. Also, having the wheels balanced helped too. I'm not sure why they didn't come properly balanced from the factory. Maybe it just sat too long at the dealership. One rear inner is still out of spec and they can't fix it but I haven't had time to do much about it with all the other repairs & upgrades.

Did Roadmaster get you setup? How do you like it?
L98383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:42 PM   #9
Señor Miembro

RoadMaster installed a prototype rear anti-sway bar in my rig and I just got back today from a 9 day trip with it. It made a bigger improvement than I was expecting. Best example I can think of to describe it is, if you ever had an old car with old worn out shocks that didn't really work and when you hit a bump the car bounced up and down a few times. Then you replaced the shocks with new ones and when you hit bump, you still bounce once, maybe 1.5 times but much less so than before and without all the squeeking, it's kinda like that but with roll side to side. My wife noticed it immediately too. My teenage kids couldn't tell the difference. The mobile RV tech crawled under to look and thought it was a very nicely done and was designed well to clear all the other components so it won't hit or pinch on anything.
RoadMaster is going to make a few tweaks to the product in regards to making it easier/faster to install. I'm going to take the RV back to get the front anti-sway soon and will also inquire as to when the units will be in production.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear sway bar .jpg
Views:	35
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	251761   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear sway bar 2.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	251762   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear sway bar 3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	251763  
Old 04-11-2021, 09:07 PM   #10

Sweet! Glad to hear, can’t wait to purchase the kit.
L98383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:10 PM   #11
Camping the Natural State

Should have got the Hellwigs.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #12

Rancher Rob. Is there clearance to remove brake cans, can’t ell from pics?
rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:32 PM   #13
Señor Miembro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Should have got the Hellwigs.
As far as I can tell, Hellwigs don't make sway bars for the freightliners. Do you have a link for their Freightliner M2-112 sway bars that I missed?
Old 04-21-2021, 12:24 AM   #14
Señor Miembro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel112r View Post
I don't know how much room one needs as I've never removed break cans before. FWIW, there is about 1" of clearance between the can and sway bar. Is that enough?
Old 04-21-2021, 10:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel112r View Post
Brake cans rarely need to be removed. And it does, just unbolt the sway bar to do the work.
DRW907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #16

Did Roadmaster provide any part numbers? Nothing listed on their website.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #17
Señor Miembro

No part numbers, no invoices, I just left my rig with their guy Josh for a week and picked it up with the sway bar. Mine was a prototype and in exchange for being the guinea pig, they gave it to me for free. Sometimes times it's great to just be lucky and in the right place at the right time (with the right rig)
I sent them an email and will let you know what I hear back.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:02 PM   #18
Señor Miembro

I heard back. Apparently, Roadmaster/Josh had a really hard time getting those rear sway bars installed so he is back at the drawing board trying to figure out a better way. Gotta love a company that won't release a product until it is refined to an acceptable level. On the downside though, ya'll have to wait.

While driving my rig today, I again noticed how much less it rolled going down our winding hill road. They are worth the price and the wait.

Tags
sway, upgrade