Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #1

12 Volt TVs are better and don’t weigh more

I enjoy and really appreciate the participation of bclemens in this forum.

But Brian, I think you missed on this one. In a recent post you said that one of the reasons you used 110 Volt TVs was because “the 12 Volt TVs weigh 8 pounds more.”

That didn’t make sense to me because all modern TVs operate on low voltage DC. The 110 Volt models need a power supply to convert 110 volts AC to 12 volts DC. 12 Volt models don’t need that power supply, so they should weight slightly less. An online search showed equivalent models weighed the same or less.

In RV applications, 12 Volt TVs are also more efficient. The conversion process in the inverter that makes 12 Volt DC into 110 Volt AC is only 85 to 90 percent efficient. And the power supply to turn it back into 12 Volt DC isn’t perfectly efficient either. So, in total, about 10 to 20 percent is lost, and more battery power is used.

Strangely, some RV makers actually use 110 Volt TVs that have an outboard 12 Volt power supply (wall wart.) These TVs can easily be connected directly to a 12 Volt source directly with the right adapter.
davidgarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #2

Not all TV's use the same DC voltage. When I added a TV, I only cared about the size, a certain feature, and whether or not it had a wall wart. The TV I ended up with uses 19v (IIRC) which was easily handled with a step up piece from amz, and cutting away the wart.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgarth View Post

But Brian, I think you missed on this one. In a recent post you said that one of the reasons you used 110 Volt TVs was because “the 12 Volt TVs weigh 8 pounds more.”

That didn’t make sense to me because all modern TVs operate on low voltage DC. The 110 Volt models need a power supply to convert 110 volts AC to 12 volts DC. 12 Volt models don’t need that power supply, so they should weight slightly less. An online search showed equivalent models weighed the same or less.

In RV applications, 12 Volt TVs are also more efficient. The conversion process in the inverter that makes 12 Volt DC into 110 Volt AC is only 85 to 90 percent efficient. And the power supply to turn it back into 12 Volt DC isn’t perfectly efficient either. So, in total, about 10 to 20 percent is lost, and more battery power is used.

Strangely, some RV makers actually use 110 Volt TVs that have an outboard 12 Volt power supply (wall wart.) These TVs can easily be connected directly to a 12 Volt source directly with the right adapter.
Well, we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I actually have experience with both scenarios and they both have their pros and cons, but I think there are more cons to the 12V version.

I actually ran 12V TV's at my previous division. The benefit being, they were native 12V. No inverter needed and we did not provide one. I saved the cost of the inverter. So I am very familiar with them.

When I came over to Dynamax we optioned an inverter and the uptake was about 75-80%. I found that most people, given the option, want the inverter. Throughout my entire career, my goal has always been to provide more features for the same or less money. Sometimes we can buy something else right and it frees up dollars for something else. I had changed a new line over to 12V TV's...but in this case, as I did more research, the 12V TV's that we had access to "at that time", weighed more than the 110V TV's we had access to. We did not look at specs...we physically weighted a 110V unit we were using versus the 12V I brought in, and including cords, the 12V was heavier. It also had a really nice metal frame for mobile use. That was almost a wash.

BUT, the 12V TV was over $100 more than the 110V TV...and since we had two of them in there, I could go to 110V TV's and basically give you the inverter for free. Which is what we did. So now, if you need to replace the TV for any reason down the road, you could easily do that. You get an inverter for the same price as before with the added benefit that you could plug in a 110V appliance without running the gen.

To me...the Pro's for the 110V TV, far outweighed the pros for the 12V TV that most people were not familiar with anyway. And, the 12V TV's are only available in certain sizes. At least, in the qty's that we needed.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

12 Volt TVs are better and don’t weigh more

Exactly why we went with new 110v televisions in our Forester when we replaced.

Much lighter and a whole lot less expensive overall.

Didn’t weigh them but from carrying old out and new in there was a significant weight difference with the old 12 v being heavier.

True if stopping overnight and want to turn it on have to run genny but have to for a/c anyhow.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #5

I agree with Davidgarth. I like to boondock and wanted to minimize power use. Took the AC large screen out and replace with a TV that we accidently bought from a work friend for daughter's room. Funny, I looked at the transformer or power supply and they converted to 12 dc. I cut the cord and put in a cigarette plug. It's very low power, but smaller 19" with a bonus that the unit has a dvd player. I plug sound into the TT system. A great setup.

We AC power in the morning for battery charging and sometimes for DWs hair dryer and curling iron. Funny we have a 1,000 watt generator so bought a low wattage hair dryer. The still make them. High is 800w. The curling iron is low wattage. We have side table lamps, but bought the 12v leds. Actually, when boondocking I utilize what they call a suicide plug. All the outlets are on one circuit. I flip that off and energize all the outlets to 12vdc. A cigarette plug to typical outlet plug. It's not as scary/dangerous as the hype. If you and I have once screw up the cigarette plug fuse will poof. Also, if you put in the wrong bulb type- poof. We have those small 12vdc ceiling fans from Amazon that work great. One is above our heads in bed.
trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #6

If using a 110 volt tv and boondocking, couldn't you connect the tv to a small inverter?
bobm253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgarth View Post

All correct. We have 2 Samsung LEDs, a 32"smart and a 26". Both from Costco, both less expensive than expected and both had laptop style external power supplies. The 26 was 120 to 14 vdc and works fine just using 12vdc plug in and the 32 converter was 120vac to 19.7vdc so I got a 12 to 19 vdc converter online for about $13 and found that when tv is OFF, the converter draws negligible ambient current and if I unplug the TV, the converter has 0 dc draw.

With my phone as a hotspot for movies and YouTube, I seldom fire up the Direct TV which still requires the inverter to be on.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm253 View Post
If using a 110 volt tv and boondocking, couldn't you connect the tv to a small inverter?
Yes but more effiecency if you can go from vdc to the TV.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Exactly why we went with new 110v televisions in our Forester when we replaced.

Much lighter and a whole lot less expensive overall.

Didn’t weigh them but from carrying old out and new in there was a significant weight difference with the old 12 v being heavier.

True if stopping overnight and want to turn it on have to run genny but have to for a/c anyhow.
The biggest difference is probably the fact that every generation NEWER the TV's get lighter. Whether 120vac or 12 vdc, newer tech is lighter.

Our 55inch three year old Samsung at home weighs half again as much as this year's comparable model.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #10

Most TVs use multiple voltages in side them hence the reason you will find most larger TVs use 110
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #11

I bought a TV from costco 22 inch LED for my bedroom they actually had two on display both the same brand but one was internet ready I didn't want the internet ready one so I bought the other one. But when I was checking them the internet ready one was 17.5 volts and the other was 12 volts which worked out great for me. I made a cord for it about ten dollars and as it uses very little power and is very light as I can take it to the outside cabinet for watching outside. They also make a 32" I noticed the other day that is 12vdc and when my 32" in the RV goes I will replace it with the 12 version.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt