Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
Eat Pray Love

2016 DX3 37BH - Yellow Check Engine light "ON"

We drove ~ 2400 miles west and then in Yuma, AZ we got a solid yellow check Engine Light. We have a appointment with a local diesel repair shop next week but I'm asking other owners if they have any comments?
Tom and Janis Edelman
585-733-6018
tom_edelman@yahoo.com
tedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:19 AM   #2

Maybe a dumb question but could it be the engine brake light on the dash?
Tugboat609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:08 AM   #3

I had the check engine light come on once with my previous M2 when there was a bit of water collected in the fuel filter bowl. Maybe check that and drain it if there is. Once I did the check engine light went out after a few miles. The I changed the filter when we got home. Were all your temps and fluid levels okay? It's most likely something minor that you should have diagnosed before it becomes a major issue. Good to get it checked out like you are.
It's not throwing any codes?
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #4

When I was at one of the national parks out west my check engine light came on. I read the user manual and some of the causes was the fuel cap not on tight. Another was bad fuel and could possibly clear up after a couple fill ups. I did buy some diesel fuel while in the park and thought maybe it could be old or something.

I waited until my tank was almost empty and put “fresh” fuel in the tank and within a short distance the light went out. It hasn’t come on since.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #5

What's your DEF level at? I was surprised the first time mine came when I ran it low
Old 11-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #6

You can probably reset it by pulling hot cable off the battery for a minute or so...then it will be reset, if it comes back on then surely an issue...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
Eat Pray Love

DEF is OK. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #8

I had the check engine light come on when I had some air in the fuel, after I had changed the fuel filter and the fuel/water separator. It took a few days to get the air out.

I have read somewhere where there are two or three check engine lights. I have to think it is in the manual.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #9

Light came on in my 2013 Chev, 3500HD. Turned out to b a faulty sensor in the DEF tank - repaired under warranty but also need replacement of something in the turbo charger. to the tune ot $1800
Old 11-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #10
jkoenig24

Last year, on my 2015 DX3-37RB, I got a Check Engine light. NOTHING in the manual except a generic "emissions system" fault.Turns out a NOX sensor when bad. Warranty item that the Freightliner shop repaired at no cost to me. It came on when I was ~ 600 miles from home. A Pilot Truck Stop had a mechanic on duty. For ~ $85, he attached a scan tool and was able to reset the light. He advised that it was likely to be something simple and, I should be OK to drive home. The light came back on ~ 200 miles from home. When I got to the Freightliner shop, I was told that, if the code had been cleared, they would NOT have been able to pinpoint exactly WHAT the problem was. I asked if a NOX sensor should fail with less than 30,000 miles on the engine. The shop guy said NOX sensors fail regularly and, that was why there was a 100,000 mile-warranty on it.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
Eat Pray Love

Sensor, Turbo OH NO....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
Light came on in my 2013 Chev, 3500HD. Turned out to b a faulty sensor in the DEF tank - repaired under warranty but also need replacement of something in the turbo charger. to the tune ot $1800
I hope this turbo thing'e isn't our problem. Dang. I'll hopefully know 11/8/2017 what the shop: 3:10 diesel works says?
Old 11-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #12
Eat Pray Love

11/8/2017 3:10 Diesel works in Yuma, AZ found two codes on our 2015 Freightliner M2-106 8.9L 540 CID L6 Cummins ISL engine. Found SCR Conversion efficiency active and a code for the Intake NOX sensor inactive. Wiring found good. Monitored reading during regen to be in specs. Check engine light went off. They say if the engine light comes back ON to replace the NOX sensor.
Bought findings to Rush Tuck Center. A Cummins authorized shop in Yuma. They made an appointment and conformation of warranty repair but Cummins has the motor as a 2005 not a 2015. This error has to be changed by Cummins before work can be done. ?? A clerical error, I'm sure. Once that is cleared we have an appointment on 11/14 for another evaluation for existence of a NOX sensor problem. I'll then post the findings.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #13
Eat Pray Love

Check Engine light has not come back on. Drove only 100 miles and no light. Cummins will check error code when engine light reappears. Till then ...... ?
Old 12-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #14

this is a general comment only:

A steady check engine light is usually an emissions issue (ie. fuel cap not on properly, o2 sensor, nox sensor, water in fuel, etc.)

A flashing check engine light is not good shut down advised as soon as safely possible. engine derate will occur in some cases engine damage may occur.

If you run short trips (with diesel engine) and regen light comes on so you shut down because you are at your destination make sure you get the engine up to temp and take it for a long drive on the freeway so auto regen happens. If you can do a "parked regen" per manual.

On the newer DEF engines it is not considered good to let them idle for long periods if doing multi stops. In the past it was considered better to let it idle rather than multi start. Not so anymore.

I personally carry an extra fuel filter/water separator in the event I get a load of "bad fuel". Takes just a couple of minutes to change out the filter and be on my way. Do make sure you fill the filter bowl with fuel before restarting. Many times this has eliminated a check engine as stated in earlier post for me.

Just some general thoughts

Tags
check, light