Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #1

2016 Dynamax DX3 Slide came out while driving

We have a 2016 Dynamax DX3 and our RV slide came fully extended on its own while we were driving down in the interstate outside of Mobile just before the tunnel with our children strapped in their car seats. It has scared me so bad I am terrified to put the children in the RV and we fly to meet wherever we are traveling to instead.

Forest River agreed to repair since it was still in warranty. They did the first repair and the slide came out again for the dealer where it was getting the repairs done at. We had a second repair recommended by Forest River completed by dealer and the slide was good for a brief time period (approx 6 months).

Recently, the slide has now came out another two times on its own. Both times thankfully we were not on the road and the bus was stationary. We happened to look underneath to the slide and the slide brackets there is only a tack weld and the weld was snapped. See picture. The problems are continuous with this slide and do not feel safe ever being in this bus.

Has anyone had a similar problem with the Dynamax 2016 DX3 slide or have any recommendations? Attachment 233366
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1063.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	233820  
jennbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #2

My suggestion would be to take the rig to a welding shop and put a bead on both sides of the brackets for the whole length. i.e. 4 beads. IMHO.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #3

Any suggestion on the slide that keeps coming out? I am fairly certain the slide coming out on its own has caused the weld to break.....Have any experience with that? We already replaced the control panel twice (per Forest River recommendations)

Thank you!!
jennbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #4

I would do two things.

1 As rskeans says take it to a weld shop (certified welders) and have the gussets properly welded to the slide. Full length welds required.

2.After reading about self deploy slides while on road, I installed a "kill" switch that removes the 12v power from the slide control "brain" in the electrical bay.

A 12v 200 amp starter solenoid mounted to the wall in the electric bay that has the large power cables from the slide brains connected. A control switch was installed next to the slide operating panels in the controls tower. No 12v to the brain no 12v to the motors therefore slide should not move under power.

I am glad no injuries. Would definitely be scary.
IMO Lippert should be held responsible for lousy workmanship. If it was properly welded in the first place then the weld should not break. The metal may tear but the weld should be strongest point in the assembly.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Agreed. That is a Lippert weld and Lippert slide mechanism.

I would have that welded, send me the receipt. I will gladly go after them for it...that is not a broken weld, that is a missing weld, and the tack weld broke.

That likely is not caused by the slide going out. Please shoot me the last 6 of your VIN, there is a recall for that slide mechanism. While it may have been repaired, it may have been repaired prior to the recall?? and may not have an updated controller.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennbaldwin View Post
We have a 2016 Dynamax DX3 and our RV slide came fully extended on its own while we were driving down in the interstate outside of Mobile just before the tunnel with our children strapped in
Thank goodness you weren’t IN the tunnel! That’s a hectic roadway before and after you enter.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #7

GET RID OF IT! I would never want to go anywhere with it again. It may be expensive, but an attorney and Forest River could probably reach an agreement!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
GET RID OF IT! I would never want to go anywhere with it again. It may be expensive, but an attorney and Forest River could probably reach an agreement!
I assure you the only person that wins there is the attorney. I have seen many with various places that I have worked that "act" like they are on the consumer's side, but if you saw what they did behind closed doors, all they care about is their fees. Racking them up as high as possible, dragging the process out.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennbaldwin View Post
Recently, the slide has now came out another two times on its own. Both times thankfully we were not on the road and the bus was stationary. We happened to look underneath to the slide and the slide brackets there is only a tack weld and the weld was snapped. See picture. The problems are continuous with this slide and do not feel safe ever being in this bus.

Has anyone had a similar problem with the Dynamax 2016 DX3 slide or have any recommendations? Attachment 233366
Is this your Dynamax as well? It looks like the same picture.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RVHo...3159610167649/

Ray
Old 07-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Is this your Dynamax as well? It looks like the same picture.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RVHo...3159610167649/

Ray
I thought the same thing. I was alerted to that post by one of our Class A guys. We did not comment there because it looks like they got good advice....it's is an LCI part and needs a full weld.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Agreed. That is a Lippert weld and Lippert slide mechanism.

I would have that welded, send me the receipt. I will gladly go after them for it...that is not a broken weld, that is a missing weld, and the tack weld broke.

That likely is not caused by the slide going out. Please shoot me the last 6 of your VIN, there is a recall for that slide mechanism. While it may have been repaired, it may have been repaired prior to the recall?? and may not have an updated controller.
There is a recall? How can we check ours?
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #12
Commercial Member

1. You would have gotten a letter
2. just in case you can always go it https://forestriverinc.com/Owners/Recall-Search

I just asked them today to add that to our owners tab.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
1. You would have gotten a letter
2. just in case you can always go it https://forestriverinc.com/Owners/Recall-Search

I just asked them today to add that to our owners tab.
BC, I do not recall getting a letter. Went to the link and it comes up

Service Bulletin 55-0459

Any idea what that is?
Old 07-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
BC, I do not recall getting a letter. Went to the link and it comes up

Service Bulletin 55-0459

Any idea what that is?
ok I found that bulletin, it is a generator neutral wiring problem.

I never did have that issue.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #15
Commercial Member

No idea...but I didn't think a service bulletin was a recall.

I googled that and it looks like an old service campaign for the neutral on an Onan gen. Heck that was back in 2017...if you haven't had issues you likely won't.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #16

Quote:
No idea...but I didn't think a service bulletin was a recall.

I googled that and it looks like an old service campaign for the neutral on an Onan gen. Heck that was back in 2017...if you haven't had issues you likely won't.
Yes, Thanks BC
Old 07-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #17

2.After reading about self deploy slides while on road, I installed a "kill" switch that removes the 12v power from the slide control "brain" in the electrical bay.

A 12v 200 amp starter solenoid mounted to the wall in the electric bay that has the large power cables from the slide brains connected. A control switch was installed next to the slide operating panels in the controls tower. No 12v to the brain no 12v to the motors therefore slide should not move under power.

Ken could you take a picture of what you did in the bay? and where you installed the switch?
thanks in advance
Joe
Old 07-13-2020, 09:20 PM   #18

I found this pic of mine in an album. It looks assembled totally different. Mines a 2015... can't tell if there's a gusset at the top. I'll ck next time it's out. Lippert went around sucking everything up and changed stuff around. Not always for the best. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200713-211617_Gallery.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	233878
Old 07-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Ken could you take a picture of what you did in the bay? and where you installed the switch?
thanks in advance
Joe
Sure:

Parts used from Waytek wire www.waytekwire.com
P/N 75568 White Rodgers SPNO 12v 200amp continuous 124-10511 $37.79
P/N 47697 Round Rocker switch SPST Square faceplate Red illumination $3.23
2 solder on terminals for heavy battery cable size in electric bay to the slide brains
Terminals should have same size for large lugs on contactor.
3 colors of 14ga wire to go from electrical bay to control tower in coach.
Loom to protect wire
1 inline fuse holder and 5 amp fuse to fit.
Suggested wire colors Red - 12v supply, Yellow - Switched 12v, Green – ground
Install rocker switch in control panel. I put mine right next to the slide controllers
Connect red 12v supply to common on switch
Connect yellow (switched 12 to switched contact on switch.
Connect green to the ground on switch. This provides the circuit for the led to light when switch is ON
Run wire in loom from control tower to area behind upholstered panel behind driver seat. There is an area where you can get the new cable under the coach and then run it into the electrical bay. I removed some foam from around existing cable and then resealed with new foam.
Mount contactor on wall of bay. Use silicone to seal mounting screws.
Connect red wire to 12 v supply (constant on) inline fuse should be installed in this line.
Connect yellow wire to the control terminal of the contactor.
Connect the ground wire to other control terminal of contactor.
Add a second ground from this terminal to a convenient ground in the electrical bay. I used the ground connection on the slide brain closest to the bay door.
Remove the long battery cable from the slide brain it is connected to. Also move the shorter one and connect it the contactor leaving it connected to the slide brain.
On the cable that was removed, cut it in half. Solder on the lugs that fit the contactor terminal.
One of these pieces is connected back to battery where you removed it from and connected to one of the large lugs on the contactor.
The other piece is connected to the remaining contactor large lug along with the short cable from the other slide brain.
Operation:
To move a slide turn ON new switch red light should come on.
Contactor will close and then you can move the slides using the controllers as needed.
When finished moving slide(s) turn switch to OFF red led is out.
I have been using this for 6 months now and have had no issues with loss of stops.

Name:	kill1-1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	233912

Name:	kill2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	233910

Name:	kill3-1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	233913
Old 07-31-2022, 10:32 AM   #20

Hi, we’re you able to figure out the issues ? This just happened to our 2016 DX3 while the engine was running but not in motion. Please message me back if you have any helpful info.
AnnaTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dx3, slide