Old 07-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #1

2017 Isata 3 RW weight issue

I just weighed the MH. All tanks empty except gas and propane which were mostly full. Without clothes, husband and dogs I'm already 10# over the 11,030 limit. My axle weight were Not carrying much at all and don't have husband or dogs, which will account for another 320 pounds. My axle ratings were 5-10% under the rear and front GAWR.

I was not aware of all of the weight rating when we bought the unit or I would've thought twice.

Any suggestions? We don't have cab over, we have propane gen, we have steel wheels, stabilizers (not levelers). My husband doesn't seem concerned about exceeding the weight rating, but I am.
Kimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
2012 Solera

From what you posted, Motorhome empty except for you, propane, and diesel, measured weight sounds too high. Try a different weigh station?
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #3

Isata 3 weight issue

It was a CAT certified scale. It wasn't totally empty. Two chairs, portable propane grill, paper plates/plastic cups, small amount lightweight groceries. I'm now trying to lighten our toolkit. Really don't see much else to take out. Perhaps we'll install Bilstein and Sumos when we return...or get another coach. We'll see how it goes.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #4

Here is another thread with an owner of an ISATA 3 with particularly low CCC. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...cc-200706.html

Judging from the many posts on the subject, having low CCC or running overweight is not unusual for motorhomes built on the MBS 3500 chassis.

I guess if you were concerned that the manufacturer built and sold a vehicle that is unsafe to use for it’s intended purpose, you could file a complaint with the NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Old 07-02-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimjim View Post
I just weighed the MH. All tanks empty except gas and propane which were mostly full. Without clothes, husband and dogs I'm already 10# over the 11,030 limit. My axle weight were Not carrying much at all and don't have husband or dogs, which will account for another 320 pounds. My axle ratings were 5-10% under the rear and front GAWR.

I was not aware of all of the weight rating when we bought the unit or I would've thought twice.

Any suggestions? We don't have cab over, we have propane gen, we have steel wheels, stabilizers (not levelers). My husband doesn't seem concerned about exceeding the weight rating, but I am.
Tanks empty...are you 100% sure? Fresh water is what most people forget about.

"my axle weight were not carrying much at all" I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. Were you towing anything?

If you shoot me the last (6) of your VIN, I can look up the original weight sticker.

You'd be surprised about all the things we carry that we don;t think we carry.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:20 PM   #6

I had no water. Fresh water tank was empty. Fuel and propane full.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Unfortunately, cargo carrying capacity is something most people don't pay attention to when buying and rv.
We have friends who bought a 30' Sunseeker (Ford chassis) and their CCC was almost equal to our smaller 25' REV on a RAM chassis. Boy were they surprised. Of course, they have a full slide and we've got none.
I don't have a solution for you. I hope those numbers are wrong. Took a look at the specs on the manufacturers website for the new model and can't find the CCC listed anywhere, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right spot.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Tanks empty...are you 100% sure? Fresh water is what most people forget about.

"my axle weight were not carrying much at all" I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. Were you towing anything?

If you shoot me the last (6) of your VIN, I can look up the original weight sticker.

You'd be surprised about all the things we carry that we don;t think we carry.
BC, I think what heís means by axle weight is if you look at the Mercedes weight sticker it allows 4410# on the front axle, and 7720 on the rear axle. This does exceed the max GVWR, but the suspension will handle the weight. The engine, Trans, And cooling system, may not like it.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #9
Motorized GM

Quote:

I had no water. Fresh water tank was empty. Fuel and propane full.
I pulled up the weight sticker and that coach had 810lbs of CCC when it left. So if you are over with nothing in it...something is not right.

Are you the original owner? Could something have been added aftermarket?
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #10

It seems like towing our 4000lb wrangler would be a lot harder on engine/transmission/ cooling system than not towing anything and being over 2-300 lbs. we have towed Jeep over grades too.
Sandiegodoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
It seems like towing our 4000lb wrangler would be a lot harder on engine/transmission/ cooling system than not towing anything and being over 2-300 lbs. we have towed Jeep over grades too.

Not to mention on the Brakes... Agree completely. That sure makes sense.
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #12

Brakes really not issue as Jeeps brakes help stop when towing.
Sandiegodoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
Brakes really not issue as Jeeps brakes help stop when towing.

I just meant in general re towing. Plenty of things I have towed over the years that didnít have trailer brakes or if they did only provided partial assist thus putting extra stress on the tow vehicles brakes.
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight