Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #1

2018 Isata 3- Gen Power and Hot Water

Hi,
We just brought our new unit home and I had time to try it out over the weekend.

I have two things going on that concern me, but since I am new to Isata (previously owned and Nexus, ShowHauler and Coachman) I thought I would ask here in case it is something simple.

1.) I do not get power to the microwave using the generator. I also do not get power to a few random outlets using the gen.

2.) Unrelated to the generator--the hot water heater does not work at all....

I have checked all the usual stuff from my experience with other RV's....
What could I be missing?

Thank you for your suggestions!!!! Karen in Marengo
Kstreet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
Commercial Member

1. you have to give the gen 30 seconds to warm up, there is a delay. I assume that has happened...maybe the micro was unplugged? The only other option is maybe a breaker tripped.

2. Most likely a fuse.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. you have to give the gen 30 seconds to warm up, there is a delay. I assume that has happened...maybe the micro was unplugged? The only other option is maybe a breaker tripped.

2. Most likely a fuse.

Yes I gave it time. I looked at the fuses and found nothing "popped"
The hours used display on the inside generator start switch is blank, no LCD numbers displayed....

Is there a particular fuse to look for?
Old 06-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

There are 3 switches related to the hot water heater. First one is on the water heater itself, remove the outside cover to locate. Second one is on the switch panel near the entry steps, it glows red when on. The third is a dial type switch located just below the drawer below the stove. On mine it only works when I have it turned to the ECO position. And the propane has to be on.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
There are 3 switches related to the hot water heater. First one is on the water heater itself, remove the outside cover to locate. Second one is on the switch panel near the entry steps, it glows red when on. The third is a dial type switch located just below the drawer below the stove. On mine it only works when I have it turned to the ECO position.

OK I will try that. It is NOT on ECO, it is on the one above or below it. The one with just a picture of a thermometer.....
Old 06-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #6

For some reason mine only works on the ECO setting, which has been just fine.
Also, the water has to be on ( either from the pump or shore) and the air out of the system.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #7

One issue solved!!!

THANK YOU CHRONIEKON!!!!!

I turned the knob on under the stove top back and forth a few times, and after a few spins, viola! It actually lit up and I could hear the H2O heater at work. And it wasn't on ECO, but the standard setting (fingers crossed) I am hoping that it isn't a loose wire and that it will work more consistently now.

I still have no luck running the bathroom outlets, wall outlets on the slide out OR the microwave on the generator. All of them are stone cold dead...

Can I ask you another question? was there an outlet in place for your satellite box over the sink...there is only one outlet in mine, and it is occupied by the plug for the microwave....

Karen
Old 06-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Check all the GFI's. If a GFI outlet trips, then the whole circuit goes. A breaker would be my first look...flip the breaker and then turn it bak on, just to be safe. Sometimes they trip and i doesn't look much different. If its not that, then most likely GFI.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Check all the GFI's. If a GFI outlet trips, then the whole circuit goes. A breaker would be my first look...flip the breaker and then turn it bak on, just to be safe. Sometimes they trip and i doesn't look much different. If its not that, then most likely GFI.

I have looked at all of them. The two on the slider wall are labeled GFI, but there is no reset button on either one. All of the others have been pressed and reset and to no avail.

I did flip all the breakers but can re-do that as well.

I have a call into our dealer and they promised an early afternoon call back, but its 5:30PM, and I haven't heard from them. I will go back out and try the breakers again.

Thank you.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #10

Last Try! I did everything suggested and.......

I realized that the A/C is also not working on the generator. The GFCI outlet in the bathroom is in the cabinet wall and is set in crooked, and while trying to trip it, I noticed that the fan was coming on and off, as if connected, then not connected as I struggled with the reset button. Something clearly is "off" on the outlet. I did take a picture.

I turned the water heater back off and hope I can get it on again when I need it.

I feel confident the unit needs service from the dealer, as I have tried everything suggested here, to no avail. I will call them in the morning and try to have it looked at. I need to use the unit for a trip next weekend.

Sigh!

Karen in Marengo
Old 06-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #11

I had to laugh at your post. I had the same issue. just when i knew i had an issue, i would find another switch that had to be on.
In my case, i forgot to turn on the switch in the generator compartment. The gen would run but no 120.
NearDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearDenver View Post
I had to laugh at your post. I had the same issue. just when i knew i had an issue, i would find another switch that had to be on.

In my case, i forgot to turn on the switch in the generator compartment. The gen would run but no 120.

Fortunately (maybe unfortunately) I know about that switch. Darn it. But good lord there are so many little idiosyncrasies in these RV's!!!

Hopefully this gets resolved, and RV isn't much worth it, if you cant enjoy A/C and a frozen pizza on the road.

Ugh!
Old 06-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #13

Kstreet1,
I don't have the satellite option on my unit,so not sure where that plugs in. There is a single outlet for the microwave inside the cabinet above the kitchen sink. There is also a duplex outlet underneath the same cabinet that is a GFCI that has a test and reset button as described by bclemens. You might try to reset that for the generator problem if you haven't already.

Also, here's a picture of the switch on the generator that NearDenver is talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4090.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	142812  
Old 06-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #14

Oh my gosh! I was so excited to see a new switch, I ran out to the garage and turned on the generator and switched the switch, ran inside to check the microwave and the A/C, NOTHING!!!! Ran back out and switched it the other way (one way you can read OFF, the other way you read ON) ran back inside the unit. NOTHING. DAMN!!!! I was as excited as a kid in a candy store!!!!
Old 06-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #15

UPDATE ON GEN POWER in Isata 3

After a sleepless night of running things through my head, I came out the unit this morning to give this one more shot.

Today I decided to turn the inverter OFF at the inverter, not on the control panel. I turned it off, waited a few seconds, then turned it back on. The generator was running.

Went inside and EVERYTHING WAS ON! MICROWAVE, A/C AND ALL THE OUTLETS!!!

SO, learned a new trick. Inverters are like computers. when all else fails, turn it off and back on.

My only issue left now is that I have no read out for the hours used by the generator. The screen is blank.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully this will help others. Karen
Old 06-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Weird though, because the inverter has nothing to do with the AC.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Weird though, because the inverter has nothing to do with the AC.

Should I still be worried?
Old 06-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Not really sure. Seems weird. If its working now, I would try and run everything, see if you can get it to repeat.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #19

I am taking it back out to run the generator some more and hook up the satellite tuner. I am hoping it never happens again. That was how it was upon bringing it home. I still need to find out why there is no hours used being displayed on the generator switch.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #20

Everything worked again. Except the hours used LCD readout.

Tags
hot water, power, water