Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2018, 09:57 PM   #1

2018 Isata 5 35 BDB

Hello everyone ! Just wanted to make this post to hopefully ease my worries! Friday I drove 7hrs to pick my new I5. After being at the dealer for over 6hrs and then driving home 7hrs without my I5 was needless to say more then frustrating. From the word go at the dealer that morning it was one thing after another. First up was the screen on the wet bay not functioning correctly... I guess it would go blank and then pop back up with lines in the screen. Then it followed with the Precsion Plex touch screen malfunctioning. It would not run the slides or the awning correctly or at all. You had to push the awning in button for it to go out . Then there was a problem with the slides tracking straight... the last straw for the day was when the bunk slide came in sideways and broke the wood wall section next to the refrigerator. Dealer says that the factory does not do any QC..... I honestly find this hard to believe, and do not think that could possibly be the truth. So long story short they are delivering this unit to my house ... couldn’t give me a time frame because of the holiday weekend and needing parts from Dynamax. I’m just worried about the quality now and how this thing will hold up! I’ve owned a Winnebago for some time and it never once went back our had any issue . Hopefully this is a fluke and I didthe right thing. I do tons of research including reading about every post on this forum for the I5 .... Well I’m going to go back to pounding my head on the wall. Thanks !
Motofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #2

Well my opinion would be to look for another unit... I have had all the issues you have and more. Still have major issues a year later, leaks, electrical, driveline, etc... Great looking unit but QC is spotty, just my 2 cents.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:08 AM   #3

Trust me I’ve been thinking about just walking away from this before it leaves the lot, but the same hand I own a business that is service oriented and people have given me a second chance in the past to make things right. I understand that the components that have had issues are not in house products that Dynamax makes . But it will be there responsibility to see this through. This will tell me what kind of company I’m dealing with for future sales . I’m not upset with anyone dealer or Dynamax at this moment odd things can happen . I will keep you posted on how things play out .
Old 09-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Motofamily.....

I’m going to go out on a limb here.....other Isata owners will probably back me up with what I’m about to say....

You posted your story clearly about your situation. I suspect you will see inputs here from a gentleman who goes by the signature “bclemens”.

If you scan other Isata postings by other owners, you’ll see what I mean. Someone else here will probably tell you more about Brian, but stay with your attitude and clarity of your troubles. It’s not hopeless.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #5

Thanks I appreciate that! Just wanted to see if others have had similar issues, and if they where resolved in a timely manor. From looking at past post it appears Brian take his job seriously and has the customers best interest in mind.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #6

My plex had some bugs as well. Same type of issues. The panel in mynwet bay was replaced, and has been pretty solid.
I dont use the plex panel to move the slides, I use the actual slide controls. ( to many extra steps to be able to use the plex)

Sometimes it takes a little prodding, but in the end, dmax will come through. Have faith.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofamily View Post
Hello everyone ! Just wanted to make this post to hopefully ease my worries! Friday I drove 7hrs to pick my new I5. After being at the dealer for over 6hrs and then driving home 7hrs without my I5 was needless to say more then frustrating. From the word go at the dealer that morning it was one thing after another. First up was the screen on the wet bay not functioning correctly... I guess it would go blank and then pop back up with lines in the screen. Then it followed with the Precsion Plex touch screen malfunctioning. It would not run the slides or the awning correctly or at all. You had to push the awning in button for it to go out . Then there was a problem with the slides tracking straight... the last straw for the day was when the bunk slide came in sideways and broke the wood wall section next to the refrigerator. Dealer says that the factory does not do any QC..... I honestly find this hard to believe, and do not think that could possibly be the truth. So long story short they are delivering this unit to my house ... couldn’t give me a time frame because of the holiday weekend and needing parts from Dynamax. I’m just worried about the quality now and how this thing will hold up! I’ve owned a Winnebago for some time and it never once went back our had any issue . Hopefully this is a fluke and I didthe right thing. I do tons of research including reading about every post on this forum for the I5 .... Well I’m going to go back to pounding my head on the wall. Thanks !

Motofamily,

I understand and sympathize with your frustration.

I have a 2017 DS. A few issues, but we have enjoyed the coach on several long trips. Getting ready for a trip to the Grand Canyon, Sedona and Albuquerque.

First, all the items you mentioned are fixable and should have been corrected by the dealer before you tried to pick up the coach. It is very easy for the dealer to blame the factory. If the coach batteries were low when using the systems this can cause errors.

If the charge in the coach batteries was allowed to get to low this creates problems with systems especially the slide out stops. This could explain the problem and a knowledgeable service tech could have stopped the slide out before damage and fixed in 15 minutes.

I also had a few issues with the Precision Plex system. Dealer fixed. I had the display go out on the fuse panel. Precision sent a new panel and it took30 minutes to replace. Now having learned a few tricks the best way to reset the system is to disconnect power ( at the coach battery disconnect and disconnect and the coach wires at both chassis batteries). The service tech should know this. Resetting the system has corrected minor problems....like display issues.

I’m confident these minor issues will get fixed and you will enjoy the coach. Don’t let the Dealer place 100% of the blame on the factory. From your post it sounds like the Dealer didn’t do their job on a through PDI before you came to pick up the coach.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Pat
Old 09-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofamily View Post
Dealer says that the factory does not do any QC....
This is the most concerning comment from your post. If your dealer really believes this, then they should not be a dealer for that brand. Not sure who made the comment, but if made by anyone with authority, Dynamax should drop them. If you read the threads from the factory visits, I don’t think you will find any that where not impressed.

I am one of the lucky ones that have had zero issues in 15 months of ownership, but I realize there are issues and some extended struggles getting things right. While this is our first RV, I was fully expecting to have issues from all the research before we purchased. Seems like the Precision Plex is a frequent issue.

Good luck getting your issues resolved. Would not let them leave your driveway until you are completely satisfied (or take the RV back with them).
Old 09-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #9

I Definitely don’t want to come across as if I’m putting the blame on Dyanmax itself. I think the dealer should have gone through the unit better and double checked all the functions prior to me arriving.... which they had 1.5 weeks to complete. I’m glad to hear you guys speak positive of the units after having some issues of your own. That pretty much tells me everything should work itself out.... and yes they will not leave my property until I’ve gone over everything with a fine tooth comb!!
Old 09-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
This is the most concerning comment from your post. If your dealer really believes this, then they should not be a dealer for that brand. Not sure who made the comment, but if made by anyone with authority, Dynamax should drop them. If you read the threads from the factory visits, I don’t think you will find any that where not impressed.

I am one of the lucky ones that have had zero issues in 15 months of ownership, but I realize there are issues and some extended struggles getting things right. While this is our first RV, I was fully expecting to have issues from all the research before we purchased. Seems like the Precision Plex is a frequent issue.

Good luck getting your issues resolved. Would not let them leave your driveway until you are completely satisfied (or take the RV back with them).

Remember this is a two way street. The manufacture should have the dealers back and vise versa. Too often it seems that this isn't the case. Yes the dealer should go through the unit and make sure it's good, however the dealer shouldn't be overwhelmed with problem units from the manufacture.

The tech who did my PDI originally was very nice and attentive but as the list of issues grew I could sense his frustration, he apologized mostly. As I made return trips back over the following weeks I got to see how much time they spend correcting issues... it was overwhelming. Then I witnessed the battles they had with Dynamax trying to resolve issues and get warranty approvals.

There are so many ways this could be improved upon but sadly it isn't.

Motofamily, I hope everything works out for you!
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Outside Plex panel. If this gets wet, it can cause issues. Replacing that panel normally takes care of them all. As discuss, low voltage can also cause a lot of issues.

Who is the dealer? I'll have one of our guys reach out and make sure they have the parts they need, if any.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #12

Thanks Brian I really do appreciate you taking the time to do that! , National RV Detroit.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #13
Commercial Member

I'm going to circle in their sales rep on this to discuss the "no QC side" and the service rep to see if they have reached out for parts. This unit delivered to them in February....so they have had plenty of time to make sure everything was working as it should.

I have their check in sheet (when the unit was delivered). There are zero defects noted and there have been zero warranty claims submitted since they took delivery.

As for your repairs...those would not be noted yet as they will file them after they are done.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #14

That is surprising they had an Isata 5 on the lot that long. Our “large” dealer in TX has 28 I5 units on order and 10 are already sold before they arrive. I have been trying to just see a 30FW on the lot and there has never been one delivered that was not already sold.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #15

Motofamily,

Please keep us posted on your experience as we are also looking to move over to the Isata 5 BDB next year. We have also been monitoring this forum for the past two years and really appreciate when other Isata 5 owners comment on any issues related to their Isata 5 units.
Gdumas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #16

Thanks for looking into that BC. I will call the dealer late today to get a update. We are hoping they will get this to us this week. Appreciate the help
Old 09-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #17

Just wanted to let everyone know that after a few issues getting things going in the right direction we took delivery of our I5 today. Big thank you to Brian and his team at Dynamax. They did everything I asked of them this week and got things working wonderfully. Very nice to know that this company does care about its customers IMO.

I will get a photo posted soon!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #18

Finally sold my Isata 5 primarily because we really couldn't afford it BUT it spent several months at 4 different facilities trying to get all of the warranty issues resolved...thought they all were resolved but new owners still having issues with sewage leakage...
fred555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
Remember this is a two way street. The manufacture should have the dealers back and vise versa. Too often it seems that this isn't the case. Yes the dealer should go through the unit and make sure it's good, however the dealer shouldn't be overwhelmed with problem units from the manufacture.

The tech who did my PDI originally was very nice and attentive but as the list of issues grew I could sense his frustration, he apologized mostly. As I made return trips back over the following weeks I got to see how much time they spend correcting issues... it was overwhelming. Then I witnessed the battles they had with Dynamax trying to resolve issues and get warranty approvals.

There are so many ways this could be improved upon but sadly it isn't.

Motofamily, I hope everything works out for you!
Dynamax claims to have no control of dealers...seems to me they just threaten to pull line and wake them up!
fred555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #20
Commercial Member

I'm not sure we claim to have no control over dealers...just that unlike a franchise we have no legal control. These are independent locations. We exert whatever leverage we have available to us. In some cases, that ends up with us canceling a dealer. Sometimes that is a face to face meeting to discuss certain situations...but none of this happens as fast as any of us would like. Empty threats every time someone screws up, does no one any good and just makes us the boy that cried wolf. There are only so many dealers...we would rather work with them to find a better way, which is what we are doing. My service manager has already flown out to have face to face meetings with several dealers this year and has a another trip scheduled next month.