Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2022, 07:06 PM   #1

2018 XL Lithium Upgrade Steps

Storage facility has let our two year old AGMs run down to <8 volts three times...now can't get back to 100% capacity and drain much faster.

They have offered to upgrade us to Lithium and give us credit equaling three new replacement Life Line 8D batteries. Not bad customer service.

Am now researching what it takes to go with three replacement Lithium 8Ds. I know we need to change the settings in our Magnum controller and Solar controller.
Would appreciate any insight available regarding the BIM replacement (with what model) and where are the current connections for this. And any other changes we need to make this change successfully.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:25 PM   #2
Señor Miembro

There are few discussions on these items already. Just search the forums. I'm not thrilled with the Li-BIM 225 I got but it seems to do the job ok.

I don't remember if the older magnum inverters can be programmed properly for Lithiums. I ended up with 3 battle born 270ah lithium batts after the same thing happened to me but on my dime.

We upgraded to Victron at the same time as they have built-in lithium support.

Also, the Multi-flex Genny auto start won't work right any longer because of the different voltages for lithium but you can always get the Victron BM-712 battery monitor which can be wired to manage the genny autostart.

Now that we've had lithium for a while, I'll never go back. Being able to run the AC off battery at night is awesome.
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post
There are few discussions on these items already. Just search the forums. I'm not thrilled with the Li-BIM 225 I got but it seems to do the job ok.

I don't remember if the older magnum inverters can be programmed properly for Lithiums. I ended up with 3 battle born 270ah lithium batts after the same thing happened to me but on my dime.

We upgraded to Victron at the same time as they have built-in lithium support.

Also, the Multi-flex Genny auto start won't work right any longer because of the different voltages for lithium but you can always get the Victron BM-712 battery monitor which can be wired to manage the genny autostart.

Now that we've had lithium for a while, I'll never go back. Being able to run the AC off battery at night is awesome.
Thanks Rob,
I've been searching for a post with the BIM insight but was having difficulty finding it. Thus my launching this new post.

AMSolar guided an installation of 1600 watts to a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 250/100 VE.Can and already have a Victron BMV-712...thanks for the insight.

The part I'm not comfortable with yet is the installation of the Li-BIM 225. (wire locations, best place to mount, etc). Example, where is the current momentary dash battery switch currently wired in the electric bay?
Old 10-07-2022, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdandShelley View Post
Storage facility has let our two year old AGMs run down to <8 volts three times...now can't get back to 100% capacity and drain much faster.

They have offered to upgrade us to Lithium and give us credit equaling three new replacement Life Line 8D batteries. Not bad customer service.

Am now researching what it takes to go with three replacement Lithium 8Ds. I know we need to change the settings in our Magnum controller and Solar controller.
Would appreciate any insight available regarding the BIM replacement (with what model) and where are the current connections for this. And any other changes we need to make this change successfully.
You could go with a DC to DC charger and eliminate the Li-BIM completely.
found a discussion on that here
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...im-254856.html
Trialrun85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialrun85 View Post
You could go with a DC to DC charger and eliminate the Li-BIM completely.
found a discussion on that here
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...im-254856.html
Thank you... this sounds like the way to go.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:06 AM   #6

I have some insight into what you are about to do. If you have a Magnum Inverter then you want to upgrade the remote to the advanced model as that will allow you to control the charge function with a lot more detail. Such as, if putting in long term storage, you set the charge voltage to something close to 13.2 Volts vs. 14.2 for when using the system. I just gave the factory two of the standard remotes as I have two inverters and I have no need for the std remotes. Just a few $ more gets you the advanced version and they are plug and play. THe Li-Bim actually does a pretty good job and with a minor addition of a wireless solenoid, I can get mine to charge at 100% if I happen to be using my second inverter for the Fwd AC unit. When the key goes off, the system reverts back to std usage. Long Term storage I disconnect my starter batteries and put a separate AGM charger for them. I considered the DC to DC charge systems but they are not big enough. 100amps is the size I found and two would have been needed IMHO. Try the Li-Bim, mine has been working well.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twp5253 View Post
I have some insight into what you are about to do. If you have a Magnum Inverter then you want to upgrade the remote to the advanced model as that will allow you to control the charge function with a lot more detail. Such as, if putting in long term storage, you set the charge voltage to something close to 13.2 Volts vs. 14.2 for when using the system. I just gave the factory two of the standard remotes as I have two inverters and I have no need for the std remotes. Just a few $ more gets you the advanced version and they are plug and play. THe Li-Bim actually does a pretty good job and with a minor addition of a wireless solenoid, I can get mine to charge at 100% if I happen to be using my second inverter for the Fwd AC unit. When the key goes off, the system reverts back to std usage. Long Term storage I disconnect my starter batteries and put a separate AGM charger for them. I considered the DC to DC charge systems but they are not big enough. 100amps is the size I found and two would have been needed IMHO. Try the Li-Bim, mine has been working well.
Thank you very much! I sincerely appreciate the insight and your sharing the experience.

Tags
steps, upgrade