Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 07:41 PM   #41

I bought replacement fabric 12 days ago and the website says 3-5 day turnaround and I have not heard from anyone. Every time I call, I'm on hold for at least 30 minutes and give up. Not how I do business but oh well. I will wait.
steinmanperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
Well, it proboly has reasons its gets wound uneven....then the winding up is uneven, which results in the tear. Im 100% sure the damage happens due to the motor not stopping, but why its winding uneven...im not sure...that is the root of the issue. Could the docking pins be that reason?

--John

My thoughts on the docking pins is they only really effect anything when the awning is being deployed. The motor keeps running and the fabric keeps unrolling even though the outer rail is still hung on the pins. In theory I guess the fabric being unrolled without tension on it could cause it to get uneven on the tube and roll up uneven causing excess tension when it does deploy and then the tear. It doesn’t seem coincidental that almost all of the reported tears are at the forward end of the fabric. That is where both of my awnings on my 2018 XL tore.

When I sent the email to Brian regarding the brass rollers, it was to hopefully solve the issue of the awning hanging up on deployment. Seems the nylon bushings get painted when the coach is painted causing them to bind and then locking tabs wear a groove in the nylon, which, in turn, causes the awning to hang up. Tiffin was having the same issue and apparently the brass rollers solved the problem. However, there was no mention of torn fabrics. So, there may be no connection.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #43

Folks, check out the write up I just posted on the "Carefree Awning Tips" thread. I think the solution is adjusting the awning motor limit, which is easy to do.

As far as why the awning doesn't always wind in square: If there is any wind moving the awning even slightly while retracting, the awning material will not wind up perfectly square on the roller. When this happens, it can increase the awning tension more on one end. If your awning motor is winding it in too tight, this leaves you no safety margin and can rip the fabric. Try adjusting the motor IN limit to reduce excess tension and if you adjust the OUT limit too, it will keep a little more tension on the awning material when it is extended. This may help reduce winding in the awning slightly off center.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dx3