Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2021, 10:24 PM   #1

2019 DX3 Apex awning issues

I have a 2019 DX3 37RB with an Apex Awning. The coach is pretty close to brand new with only 8500 miles and the awning has been used less than 10 times. the Coach is stored inside in climate controlled storage. I have noticed that several times now, the awning does not want to extend and you can clearly hear the motor running with no issues but not extending. then after several attempts it opens and extends. the other night while camping, same issues and after it was open for several hours, I closed it and as it was closing the last few seconds, i heard this horrible noise and it actually ripped about a foot of material right off the seam of the front bar of the awning.

This coach is in like new condition and I am beside myself that Carefree offers only a one year non transferrable warranty. Anyone else with issues? Replacement material is over 1000 dollars and like i said, this awning has see the sunlight maybe 10 times.
steinmanperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:03 AM   #2

Replacement awning material you looked is way over priced. The last three that I replaced none were more then 190 for good vinyl. from what you describe I would look at gas cylinders and was the awing fabric rolling up straight on the awning tube. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:20 AM   #3
Commercial Member

This topic has been covered multiple times. If you search for Carefree Awning, you will find the thread and potential solutions.

The other issue that seems to be often confused is "very little usage" being a good thing. The most common issue I see is "lack of usage". Sitting for extended periods of time, potentially with no lubrication, no exercising of equipment leads to more problems than the reverse.

If the motor is running and the awning is not coming out, then the awning tube is still spinning and likely bunching the fabric. This can cause it to go into a bind...so as soon as you notice it is not extending, STOP. Push up on that rail to get it to extend or you will end up with a ripped awning.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #4

Carefree Apex (Roof Mount) Awning Tip
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d.php?t=230295
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #5

The coach is brand new to me. I purchased it only a month ago. I am a firm believer in using the equipment as I know that sitting is the worst thing for them. I also know that after spending 200K and making the first payment, that I would not expect this kind of issue. You cannot just reach up and push the awning out on the DX3. The material is fabric and not vinyl and hopefully just the last piece can be replaced at the seam as it seems as though it is 3 or 4 pieces sewn together.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinmanperformance View Post
The coach is brand new to me. I purchased it only a month ago. I am a firm believer in using the equipment as I know that sitting is the worst thing for them. I also know that after spending 200K and making the first payment, that I would not expect this kind of issue. You cannot just reach up and push the awning out on the DX3. The material is fabric and not vinyl and hopefully just the last piece can be replaced at the seam as it seems as though it is 3 or 4 pieces sewn together.
I'm not pointing fingers or blaming anyone. I was just pointing out that this coach is a 2019, likely built in 2018. So it is about 3 years old and if you just got it, then it could have sat, pretty much unused for the last 3 years.

When I say reach up, I mean on the metal lead section. That is what hangs up....if you read the thread that MOJO posted, the lead rail can hang up on the little collars at each end. So you need to push up on the main head rail (metal) to get it up and over (if it is sticking). Then it might need lubrication and/or the brass pieces that help it roll better.

We actually brought this up to Carefree, I showed them the issue at their facility and they had talked about making them standard.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #7

Didn't mean to sound offensive. the previous owner surely did not use it much and since I spend about 7 months out of the year drag racing, i definitely will. Just sucks to have issues right out of the gate. I will look at the other post but I still dont think I am able to reach up and touch that piece. I am just under 6 foot but I will try tomorrow at the track if it hangs up.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Didn't mean to sound offensive. the previous owner surely did not use it much and since I spend about 7 months out of the year drag racing, i definitely will. Just sucks to have issues right out of the gate. I will look at the other post but I still dont think I am able to reach up and touch that piece. I am just under 6 foot but I will try tomorrow at the track if it hangs up.
Oh...no I did not mean you could reach it by yourself. It will need pole, broom, something. (with something soft on the end)

Old 09-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Oh...no I did not mean you could reach it by yourself. It will need pole, broom, something. (with something soft on the end)
We have a telescoping squeegee that has been affectionately renamed "The Awning Stick"
Old 09-10-2021, 06:20 PM   #10

Yep, I have an extendable boat hook (from a previous adventure into insanity) that I used as the awning stick. Has a soft rubber tip on it. As Brian suggested, get something like that and if is it hanging up, just give it a bump, usually at the forward leading edge. Need to do it pretty quick as it is starting to come out. Then get the brass rollers from Carefree. It takes 4.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:24 AM   #11

Can someone post a picture of what you are poking with your pokie sticks.

I'd like to be able to see this so I know what to look for just in case mine is doing this and I am unaware.
Thanks
Old 09-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #12

Here ya’ go. See the yellow circle and arrow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1827.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	262657
Old 09-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
Here ya’ go. See the yellow circle and arrow.
Attachment 262657

Thanks for the pic but I cant make out what the circle is showing.
Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:49 PM   #14

There is an arrow in the photo pointing to the point in question where you need to push up on the awning to allow it to release if it is hanging up. Click on the picture and zoom in a little.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:50 PM   #15

It is pointing to the bottom of the leading edge of the awning.

Although, I just noticed you do not have Dynamax, so none of this probably applies.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:38 PM   #16

Thanks guys. got it
Old 09-12-2021, 07:52 PM   #17

Highly recommend installing the brass rollers. They solved your extending.

Our challenge is retracting. One of our awnings comes in crooked (even with new fabric). Ultimately rips on the front seam. Just had awning fabric # 3 installed.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #18

Mine ripped on the front seam as well. While retracting the last few inches into the cover.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Not sure if it would hold up....but awning repair tape seems worth a shot for the cost, as opposed to a full fabric replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Tear-Aid-Fabr...pcontext&psc=1

Old 09-14-2021, 08:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Mine ripped on the front seam as well. While retracting the last few inches into the cover.
Same here. This is the third awning on the same carefree hardware. Rips in the same spot. Carefree continues to refuse to replace the awning…just keep sending new fabric. This is getting old….

Please excuse the upside down pic.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dx3