Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #1

Suggestions on Dynaquest XL Cracking Tile fix???

Growing a bit dismayed. Waited 6 months to get our new Dyanquest XL. For the most part have been very happy with it. Dynamax and Brian Clemons are just super.

We have had an ongoing tile cracking issue. Before we even took delivery, the dealer called and said many of the tiles in the kitchen area were cracked, moving, and needed replacement. This delayed our delivery another 2 weeks but worth it if all could be right before we took delievery of our beautiful, almost $400K motorhome.

Since delivery in October, we have had it out 4. With each trip we discover more tiles cracked or broken. We take it back to the dealer, they chip out the old and install the new. They have been reluctant to complete a whole floor replacement due to “complications”. My concern is are we headed there anyways, 1-2 cracked tiles at a time? My greater concern is what happens when we are 4-5 years into this motorhome and this issues continues. Of course, “you are out of warranty” will be the answer.

So, I would appreciate any insights on a permanent and reliable solution. I am concerned the current band aid/piece meal approach is not a solid idea (no punn...). At this price point, it seems difficult to comprehend why this is an issue on such an expensive and otherwise well designed and constucted coach.

Of all the places to NOT go cheap or have design failures, the center piece tile floor would be one of them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. God bless you all.

Tom

P.S. it appears in my coach there is no underlayment to support the tile. Rather, it appears they simply laid the tile down on the flake board, sub floor. Not sure this is a good design; may be the central issue I suspect. A continuous, smooth, strong peice of 1/4 inch plywood or better yet metal would seem to help remedy this problem. Not sure this is where I would try to save money!!!
Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #2

The need to use the orange Schluter underlaymant

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 01-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Commercial Member

There is no underlayment when using snap-stone as it replaces the underlayment (the tile sets in a plastic tray). We would only use Schluter underlayment if we are using thin-set to lay the tile, which we don't. We used to, but it is so much tougher to replace if there is an issue.

Tom, from what I saw of the pictures, they replaced almost the entire floor tile. Except maybe at some edges. I did see some at the bathroom...but what we don't know is if any are damaged while they were repairing some. Drop a tool and that crack may not show until there is some vibration. If it is the same tiles cracking, I would be more concerned. If it is new ones, then they could have already been cracked, but just not obvious. Also, cut tiles are more susceptible to cracking. I just had a house built....they used thin set, shelter underlayment and while there was not one on the first day (that i noticed) I ended up with a crack in the bathroom tile.

As for warranty, these issues are noted. If it is an ongoing issue we will always look at it as such. Now, if the last repair corrects the issue and you don't have any more for 4-5 years...that is a different story. But we have no intentions to just leave anyone high and dry.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 01-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

Thanks Brian.

They are new tiles which have not yet been replaced. In total, they have now replaced roughly 40% of the floor. My concern now is it is not central to one area. It first was in the kitchen, then the main family room, then the bathroom, and now in front of the fridge and more in the main sitting area. It appears to be a more holistic or wide spread issue than localized to just one area.

I am taking it back again next week for more repairs. God willing, this will fix it.

Brian, you and Dynamax have been wonderful. Please use me as the example of how you take great care of every customer, even the one with ongoing issues.

Thanks my friend and May God bless you and your family in this wonderful New Years.

Tom
Old 01-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Happy New Year....

As a side note...are they cracked or just grout issues?

We had one recently that I was told the tile was cracking everywhere. There was not one single crack in the actual tile, it was just that the grout had shrunk. Potaytoes, Potahtoes, but it makes a difference in identifying root cause. In that particular case, we found that we had gotten in a different brand grout from the supplier. It should have been a polyurethane grout and it was something we had not seen before...it was certainly "thinner".

Old 01-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Happy New Year....

As a side note...are they cracked or just grout issues?

We had one recently that I was told the tile was cracking everywhere. There was not one single crack in the actual tile, it was just that the grout had shrunk. Potaytoes, Potahtoes, but it makes a difference in identifying root cause. In that particular case, we found that we had gotten in a different brand grout from the supplier. It should have been a polyurethane grout and it was something we had not seen before...it was certainly "thinner".
Great catch. It’s not the tile it’s the grout. It seems to be disintegrating and allowing the tiles two then come loose.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

Good catch. The issue is the grout is disintegrating in allowing the tiles to come loose. The tiles themselves are not cracked. It is the grout. Thank you for clarifying. Sorry for my mistake.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #8
Commercial Member

No worries...that just helps us get to the bottom of it and try to prevent it in the future. We started getting a different brand. I caught it in service when one of the guys there complained that it was not the same and was too thin.

It's funny, not funny...no matter how many times I say, "if you see something, say something, immediately"...it seems like they forget that until they see me walking around. Which is why I try to make sure it is as often as possible.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:28 AM   #9

Cracked floor tiles in Dynamic XL

We bought our 2018 Dynaquest XL new last year and have had it on the road for less then 90 days since ordering it from Dynamax and taking ownership from the dealer in Portland, Or in March of 2018. Because of the huge number and placement of broken tiles we experienced, we had the entire tile floor replaced and the fix as recommended by Dynamax was to add steel bracing at the slide ram mounts. We had broken, cracked tiles in every room, in open spaces as well as next to cabinets, walls... Also had problems with high corners, crumbly and missing grout. I've seen at least two other posts in the forum for this issue, fixes as I recall were different in each case but I recall there is no underlayment required with this particular tile/grout. We have had the full and respectful assist on this issue from both Dynamax and the dealer. We visited the plant in Elkhart and Joe Eash is a great rep for the company. We love our rig, working out the kinks has been enlightening.

Val and John
Old 01-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #10

2019 Dynaquest Crumbling Below our Feet!!!

Is anyone else having chronic floor cracking issues? Any HELP would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

My wife and I took delivery of a 2019 Dynaquest XL in October of 2018. It is our fourth Super C having owned Jacyo Seneca's previously. We decided to upgrade and buy what we thought was the best super C available at a nearly $400,000 price tag. On the whole, we have been very pleased with the coach. Brian Clemons has also been simply wonderful. Unfortunately, we are on my third trip back to the dealer to replace broken floor tiles. My wife and I would deeply appreciate any help or suggestions on how to fix this ongoing or chronic issue?

Before taking delivery of our unit, the dealer called and said the floor was a mess and had several broken and lose tiles in the kitchen area, bathroom area, and bedroom upon receipt from the factory. They worked with the factory and told me the issue was connected to an "over tightening" of floor lag bolts. I was assured this would fix it.

We took delivery of the rig and headed out for the first trip and experienced more tile breaks. Most concerning, these breaks were distributed in several areas of the coach vs. localized to just one area. We took the rig back in to the dealer and the affected tiles were replaced. We were then assured that all the defective tiles had been found and we should have no future issues.

We then made a third and fourth trip in our new $400,000 motorhome. Unfortunately, we again experienced more broken tile in again varied and diverse sections of the coach. We simply could not believe what was happening. I guess I now understand the feeling of walking on egg shells (lol). My wife broke out tears and said, "Sell the damn thing". I feel so badly for I was the one who insisted on a Dynaquest. I know how important the beautiful floor is to her and for whatever reason we cannot seem to get our floor fixed.

I just spoke with the dealer (Lazydays in Tampa, who has been just wonderful). They said they are working on the third round of repairs. They also said given the continued breakage and its pattern, this will likely not be our last trip in and we should prepare for more broken tiles. This is not what I was hoping to hear, to say the least. I have not told my wife yet; this is not going to go over well.

I will confess, it is hard to put into words the emotions you experience as you walk through your brand new coach and literally feel the floor crumbling below your feet. And while we can certainly understand a broken tile or two, to have over 50%+ of your floor be affected and waiting for the other 50% to fail, is a most unsettling experience.

We would warmly and humbly appreciate any suggestions anyone might have who has experienced this nightmare. We simply do not know what to do next and are deeply afraid that the current band-aid approach will, as the dealer suggests, continue to bring heartache and continued disappointment.

Thanks in advance and may God bless you all.

Tom
Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #11

Do you know how the XL flooring differs from the DX3? Both are ceramic tile and we don't have any problem with ours. Just a thought.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #12

Just curious - are the new tiles holding up, and only the original tiles from the factory are breaking, or are the new tiles breaking as well? I am wondering if there was just something wrong with the original batch of tiles.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #13

Not a current Dynamax owner but never say never so I'm following this thread.

I'm curious if these breaking tiles are ceramic or porcelain? Porcelain is supposedly tougher.

Also curious, as avid 108 is, if only original tiles breaking or new tiles as well.

From your experience so far I would not expect the problem to ever go away and would be quite upset as well.

Shame on Lazy Days for telling you this would be your last visit for this issue. They should continue until the cause is found and remedied or Dynamax should offer to take it back and fix it to your satisfaction on their dime.

As a last resort, if no other satisfactory resolution is found, maybe consider replacing all of the tile with luxury vinyl plank flooring as an alternative?

I hope you get this resolved. Please post your outcome either way.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #14
Coach

Are your tiles actually cracking or are the grout joints cracking? I seem to remember Mr. Clemens posting on another thread that they had been using grout from a different supplier and were having issues with it.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
Old 01-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #15

If you are a crown club member( and you should be at those $$) at Lazydays, then you are getting their top techs. As the other poster said, have them change out to synthetic wood or keep making trips and eating and drinking free at the club. Believe that is good for three years.
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
Old 01-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #16

Is anyone else having chronic floor cracking issues? Any HELP would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

My wife and I took delivery of a 2019 Dynaquest XL in October of 2018. It is our fourth Super C having owned Jacyo Seneca's previously. We decided to upgrade and buy what we thought was the best super C available at a nearly $400,000 price tag. On the whole, we have been very pleased with the coach. Brian Clemons has also been simply wonderful. Unfortunately, we are on my third trip back to the dealer to replace broken floor tiles. My wife and I would deeply appreciate any help or suggestions on how to fix this ongoing or chronic issue?

Before taking delivery of our unit, the dealer called and said the floor was a mess and had several broken and lose tiles in the kitchen area, bathroom area, and bedroom upon receipt from the factory. They worked with the factory and told me the issue was connected to an "over tightening" of floor lag bolts. I was assured this would fix it.

We took delivery of the rig and headed out for the first trip and experienced more tile breaks. Most concerning, these breaks were distributed in several areas of the coach vs. localized to just one area. We took the rig back in to the dealer and the affected tiles were replaced. We were then assured that all the defective tiles had been found and we should have no future issues.

We then made a third and fourth trip in our new $400,000 motorhome. Unfortunately, we again experienced more broken tile in again varied and diverse sections of the coach. We simply could not believe what was happening. I guess I now understand the feeling of walking on egg shells (lol). My wife broke out tears and said, "Sell the damn thing". I feel so badly for I was the one who insisted on a Dynaquest. I know how important the beautiful floor is to her and for whatever reason we cannot seem to get our floor fixed.

I just spoke with the dealer (Lazydays in Tampa, who has been just wonderful). They said they are working on the third round of repairs. They also said given the continued breakage and its pattern, this will likely not be our last trip in and we should prepare for more broken tiles. This is not what I was hoping to hear, to say the least. I have not told my wife yet; this is not going to go over well.

I will confess, it is hard to put into words the emotions you experience as you walk through your brand new coach and literally feel the floor crumbling below your feet. And while we can certainly understand a broken tile or two, to have over 50%+ of your floor be affected and waiting for the other 50% to fail, is a most unsettling experience.

We would warmly and humbly appreciate any suggestions anyone might have who has experienced this nightmare. We simply do not know what to do next and are deeply afraid that the current band-aid approach will, as the dealer suggests, continue to bring heartache and continued disappointment.

Thanks in advance and may God bless you all.

Tom
Old 01-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #17
Kanadian Kamper

Wow. So sorry to hear this story.....well described and written I might add.

You’ve mentioned that you’ve had contact with Brian Clemens.
Has he ever mentioned, or anyone else for that matter.....including yourself....that your rig be returned to the factory to address and correct your flooring issues which have not been remedied yet?

According to you, you’ve only had the rig less than 4 months.
Repair is not the correction, at least not from what you describe through your dealer.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 01-24-2019, 09:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
Are your tiles actually cracking or are the grout joints cracking? I seem to remember Mr. Clemens posting on another thread that they had been using grout from a different supplier and were having issues with it.
Based on one of the other threads the OP started, it is the grout.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ix-176485.html
Old 01-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #19

Excuse Me!

It is a grout issue. Really. Have you seen it? Have you lived with it. No. The tiles are cracking throughout my whole floor. Tell you what, bring your brand new $400,000 rig in, watch the damn tile floor fail, and have someone who knows nothing of it tell you it is GROUT. Really???
Old 01-24-2019, 10:06 PM   #20

I thought it was grout until I got the call today from Lazydays telling me nope, cracked tile throughout. Look, this is simply rediculous. A $400,000 rig with a floor with systemic tile issues. You be the judge.
Closed Thread

Tags
crack