Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #1

2019 ISATA 5 DS TV Coax wiring diagram?

Anyone out there have a wiring diagram for the TV Coax cable in a 2019 Isata 5 DS? I'm having shore cable TV issues and want to trouble shoot and eliminate the coach coax cable run as being the problem.
Thanks.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:10 AM   #2

I don't know of any such schematic. with that said I just fixed a problem in a new coach having connection problems with the cable (it was never connected by the factory to the back of coax outlet) If you said what your problem was the forum may be able to help you. If its a fuzzy picture or no pic but connected check and ensure your antenna booster is off. I ran a 50' coax from the outside cable plug to the inside of the coach and used that to find the cable coax by checking continuity good luck.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I don't know of any such schematic. with that said I just fixed a problem in a new coach having connection problems with the cable (it was never connected by the factory to the back of coax outlet) If you said what your problem was the forum may be able to help you. If its a fuzzy picture or no pic but connected check and ensure your antenna booster is off. I ran a 50' coax from the outside cable plug to the inside of the coach and used that to find the cable coax by checking continuity good luck.
I've had TV problems since I've had the coach so I'm thinking of tracing all the coax. Initial problem was a loose connection and poor crimp job at the shore cable input port in the plumbing bay. But since then I get intermittent shore cable. Sometimes it seems to work, most of the time it doesn't. Just last camping at Santee Lakes we hooked to shore cable, scanned channels and all we could get was OTA channels and yes even with the antenna booster off. Weird, and it's happened at other parks over the past three years. So I'd like to see if the wire that comes into the coach actually goes to my front TV without passing through any other component or switch or who knows what. I've done the long cable direct to the TV so I know the TV works.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #4

the long cable was used to check the continuity of the rigs cable coax not the TV. One end into the rigs outside cable connection and the other inside the coach. I removed one cable at a time and checked until I found the coax from the outside cable connection. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 06-20-2021, 03:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
the long cable was used to check the continuity of the rigs cable coax not the TV. One end into the rigs outside cable connection and the other inside the coach. I removed one cable at a time and checked until I found the coax from the outside cable connection. good luck
Not sure I understand your use of the cable in a loop? What device confirmed the continuity?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #6

by connecting the cable to the outside "cable" connection and then bringing the other end into the rig you can then use your multi meter to check continuity. checking each cable. if none ring out the cable in coax is not in that location or the cable is defective.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 06-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #7

RV installs are 99% standard, so there is no diagram, but this is typical:

A satellite feed from outside direct to an internal connection for satellite receiver.

A park feed that goes from outside connection to the back of the antenna booster switch, connection labeled cable.

An antenna feed from OTA antenna to the back of the antenna booster switch, connection labeled antenna.

Output of antenna booster switch to a splitter that goes to the individual TVs, some switches will have the splitter built in.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Correct, the coax was pretty straight forward, so while we had HDMI layout, not so much on Coax.

Back then, we did not have dedicated "mobile" sat inlet like we do today.

So, coax would go from outside utility area to the back of the Winegard booster antenna plate. Then there are connections from there to each of the TV's.

Best bet is to pull that plate, check the connections. At the time, I think there were only TWO outputs. Today we have three, so possible the bedroom TV got split off with the exterior TV. If you want to get really advanced, you need a coax toner. Test each wire at the plate and then to the respective TV.

I have never gotten very good cable from ANY campground as it is split so many times before it gets to the final destination. OTA has been much better near larger cities (and also in HD).

Info on their normal wall plate. https://d38mfwkkxtsm2m.cloudfront.ne...ts/2451486.pdf

We are using the 360+ wall plate now that has wifi and antenna power along with the (3) pigtails for coax.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #9

Poor man's cable tester

This takes two people. A multimeter or "beeper" is needed. Also a couple of small test leads with insulated alligator clips on each end.

Pre-made leads

Clips to make your own

Set the multimeter on 200 ohms (or use a beeper). Use clip leads to connect one lead to the center conductor and the other to the shell. Make sure the clips don't contact each other. One person watches the multimeter (or listens for the beep). The other person uses a single test lead to connect the center conductor to the outer conductor of each of the suspect cable ends in succession. When the first person sees the multimeter register near 0 ohms (or the beeper beep), label both ends of that cable. Then move on to the next one.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Correct, the coax was pretty straight forward, so while we had HDMI layout, not so much on Coax.

Back then, we did not have dedicated "mobile" sat inlet like we do today.

So, coax would go from outside utility area to the back of the Winegard booster antenna plate. Then there are connections from there to each of the TV's.

Best bet is to pull that plate, check the connections. At the time, I think there were only TWO outputs. Today we have three, so possible the bedroom TV got split off with the exterior TV. If you want to get really advanced, you need a coax toner. Test each wire at the plate and then to the respective TV.

I have never gotten very good cable from ANY campground as it is split so many times before it gets to the final destination. OTA has been much better near larger cities (and also in HD).

Info on their normal wall plate. https://d38mfwkkxtsm2m.cloudfront.ne...ts/2451486.pdf

We are using the 360+ wall plate now that has wifi and antenna power along with the (3) pigtails for coax.
Where is this Wingard booster plate located? I have the hand crank antenna rotator on the ceiling but I don't recall a booster plater? I bought a coax toner so I'm ready to troubleshoot in the next day or so.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-21-2021, 09:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
Where is this Wingard booster plate located? I have the hand crank antenna rotator on the ceiling but I don't recall a booster plater? I bought a coax toner so I'm ready to troubleshoot in the next day or so.

Sorry, booster plate not plater.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-21-2021, 10:09 PM   #12

In the right center of this photo (just below the light) is my OTA antenna rotator box with various lights for signal strength. Is this my booster plate?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2014.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	257553  
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-22-2021, 08:31 AM   #13

Typically the booster switch looks like this:

It is a combiner/splitter and a power injector to the antenna.

Some might have more TV connections on the back, reducing the need for additional splitters. This one provides one TV port on the front and one in back.

The little switch on the front is what BC is talking about - it has to be off to get part cable (although the switch on the king antenna SHOULD have the same effect).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	91JCGkEWN3L._AC_UL600_SR372,600_.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	257562   Click image for larger version

Name:	81QfmInsO5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	257563  
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
In the right center of this photo (just below the light) is my OTA antenna rotator box with various lights for signal strength. Is this my booster plate?
no. It will be on the wall, either behind the TV, cabinet area.

That brings up a good point. IF you don't know where the TV booster plate is, then you could not possibly have turned it off to scan for cable channels.

SO...all of this tracking down and toning for bad connections is likely not needed. The reason you get OTA channels only and not cable is because you have not ever turned off the booster.

The antenna on the ceiling is the Jack digital antenna (still goes through a Winegard booster), but that light on the antenna is not eh booster, it is just the signal meter for how strong the signal is.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #15

Quote:
no. It will be on the wall, either behind the TV, cabinet area.

That brings up a good point. IF you don't know where the TV booster plate is, then you could not possibly have turned it off to scan for cable channels.

SO...all of this tracking down and toning for bad connections is likely not needed. The reason you get OTA channels only and not cable is because you have not ever turned off the booster.

The antenna on the ceiling is the Jack digital antenna (still goes through a Winegard booster), but that light on the antenna is not eh booster, it is just the signal meter for how strong the signal is.
Well that would explain why I have always had trouble getting cable TV. Can you tell me where this switch plate is? 2019 I5 DS.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-22-2021, 09:51 AM   #16
Commercial Member

it's going to be up behind in the entertainment center, passenger side if I had to guess.

Did you buy it with the entertainment center??? or did you have that built? It used to be installed behind the TY that was mounted to the swing arm on the passenger side, or a small tower that it was mounted to. For a while it was also put in the cabinet over the entry way.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Boat View Post
Typically the booster switch looks like this:

It is a combiner/splitter and a power injector to the antenna.

Some might have more TV connections on the back, reducing the need for additional splitters. This one provides one TV port on the front and one in back.

The little switch on the front is what BC is talking about - it has to be off to get part cable (although the switch on the king antenna SHOULD have the same effect).
Thanks, I've seen them in my other RV's, I don't recall ever seeing one in my '19 I5 DS. I always turn off the Antenna controller on the ceiling and think I have turned off the booster. You can't fix stupid operators! Today I'll search the coach for this booster switch.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-22-2021, 10:06 AM   #18

Quote:
it's going to be up behind in the entertainment center, passenger side if I had to guess.

Did you buy it with the entertainment center??? or did you have that built? It used to be installed behind the TY that was mounted to the swing arm on the passenger side, or a small tower that it was mounted to. For a while it was also put in the cabinet over the entry way.
Thanks BC, I will go look this morning. I built the entertainment center. All I remember was a cable coming in the back of the wall mounted TV. I have a photo of the mount with all the cable wrapped around it just before I removed the TV mount. Don't remember that booster switch on that wall. But I'm old so who knows. I'll let you know what my search reveals. Thanks to all of you on here for helping me, I love this forum.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #19

Here is a photo of where the TV used to be and the original wiring. I'll search that area and the cabinet above the door where those cables are headed in this photo. Again, thanks to you all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1679.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	257578  
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #20
Commercial Member

I think it used to be on the end panel of that overhead cabinet. in the general area where those wires are heading.

Tags
diagram, ram, wiring