Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Commercial Member

2019 Kenwood Head unit and missing Phone Cables (Isata 3)

When I walked one of the first units, the cables were just laying out.

I mentioned this...but there was really no place to put them so I said to leave them as there is one for Apple and one for Android. Unfortunately, through the game of "operator-operator", this got back to the installer as "I hated seeing those wires just hanging out". So instead of pulling them through the change tray (where they were) they tucked them up behind the radio bezel.

If you cannot find the white/gray USB cables to take advantage of the Apple Car Play/Android Auto, then this video will help you locate them.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Commercial Member

sorry...I guess you can only load video in the "add video section" and I could not find that on the "Edit post, advanced" section. who knew,
Attached Files

Old 06-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #3

I can't play the video; can others? Would this be the same access point to use to see if the Sony antenna cable in my 2017 Isata is bundled up there, which limits movement of my pillar mounted antenna?
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #4

Ever feel like you must be speaking a different language sometimes?
Old 06-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #5

And you have to use the black one for carplay. Just fyi, had to take the dash apart again because I used the gray. Reading does not come easy to everyone.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Ever feel like you must be speaking a different language sometimes?
I'm just not sure how putting them behind the bezel, inaccessible, sounded like a good idea. Regardless of how much they thought I hated seeing them.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:09 AM   #7

I agree. It cost me 2 days in Grand Rapids waiting for the dealer to figure out and fix the problem. Even after we got the dongles out from behind the dash, the dealer could not get my unit to pair with the iPhone until he updated the Kenwood software which resulted in loosing the Dynamax Home Screen. Also, the exterior GPS antenna which comes with the unit was not installed. FYI. The black cable is for Apple and the grey cable is for Android. Both function as charge ports. The Kenwood seems like a decent unit, but the integration with the Mercedes steering wheel controls/computer is not intuitive. The other problem is that you have to turn the unit on and off manually. It does not turn on or off with the ignition. All of this made me wonder if the unit was installed properly. My dealer had no idea.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:38 AM   #8
Commercial Member

There is a setting that will have the unit come on with the key. Within the Kenwood settings(I don’t have one in front of me right now) it was something to do about “AV or what to do with video settings”. I think it was stay on or power off. Once you change that setting it will turn on every time. It may be listed in the manual, but I was able to find it without.

We don’t install the GPS antenna, because we don’t use the GPS function of the radio. Instead we rely on CarPlay or Android Auto. We’ve tried fixed navigation for years and it is always a sore spot. How long map updates are free, if at all, issues with software, preference for portable or a particular company. Instead of making everyone pay for a nav system most people hate, we thought CarPlay was the perfect fit. It’s free with the radio, so you’re not upset if you don’t use it, but the maps update through your phone, just like everyone is used to. What I liked is that the map displays on the big screen, but turn by turn directions appear on the phone screen. Helpful for the co-pilot.

The other nice thing is that instead of learning a whole new interface. Plug your phone in and it replicates the screen. Much easier to learn.

With everything there is a learning curve. We’re doing our best to reduce that. We’re working on a video on the new head unit, but in the meantime the manual reveal a lot of answers.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #9

Brian, can you post what model Kenwood you are currently installing? In my 2017 I have the Sony head unit and TomTom navigation. You are correct, nobody uses fixed navigation systems as it takes too long to setup the destination vs Google Maps or Waze.

I just read that Apple is opening up the display on Apple CarPlay to actually display the map.

“Apple CarPlay: iOS 12 will finally let you use Google Maps, Waze
With iOS 12, Apple is opening up CarPlay to third-party navigation apps”
Old 06-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
...We don’t install the GPS antenna, because we don’t use the GPS function of the radio. Instead we rely on CarPlay or Android Auto. ...
It might depend on the specific radio, but when I had a Kenwood in my truck, it used the radio's GPS if available to provide a better GPS signal to CarPlay vs having to rely on the Phone's GPS.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
There is a setting that will have the unit come on with the key. Within the Kenwood settings(I don’t have one in front of me right now) it was something to do about “AV or what to do with video settings”. I think it was stay on or power off. Once you change that setting it will turn on every time. It may be listed in the manual, but I was able to find it without.

We don’t install the GPS antenna, because we don’t use the GPS function of the radio. Instead we rely on CarPlay or Android Auto. We’ve tried fixed navigation for years and it is always a sore spot. How long map updates are free, if at all, issues with software, preference for portable or a particular company. Instead of making everyone pay for a nav system most people hate, we thought CarPlay was the perfect fit. It’s free with the radio, so you’re not upset if you don’t use it, but the maps update through your phone, just like everyone is used to. What I liked is that the map displays on the big screen, but turn by turn directions appear on the phone screen. Helpful for the co-pilot.

The other nice thing is that instead of learning a whole new interface. Plug your phone in and it replicates the screen. Much easier to learn.

With everything there is a learning curve. We’re doing our best to reduce that. We’re working on a video on the new head unit, but in the meantime the manual reveal a lot of answers.
Thanks Brian. I read the manual. The installation instructions call for the unit to be wired through the ignition or wired through some other source that is wired to the ignition. There is a setting to turn the unit off while the ignition is on, but as far as I can determine, the unit should not have been installed with a constant voltage supply which is the situation I have on my new coach.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
Commercial Member

I had the same issue on an M2...the radio would not come on with the key, the EE said, that's just how it was and I found a setting where when we turned the key off and the radio went off, then back on, the radio come on with it.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:52 AM   #13

I also purchased Mobileye with my new Isata 3. When the GR Dealer removed the Kenwood unit to find the buried USB dongles, he noted that the Mobileye unit was wired to the Kenwood unit for power. I asked if that was correct, and he replied he had no idea because he had never seen a Mobileye unit before. The Mobileye unit also has to be turned on and off manually. The user manual clearly indicates the Mobileye unit should come on and go off with the ignition. In fact, the blue light on the Mobileye receiver NEVER goes out. I am convinced that both of these units were note wired properly. I have contacted my Dealer, but they say they have no experience with either the Kenwood unit or Mobileye and cannot help me. They advised that I contact a Mobileye dealer directly. Very frustrating.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
Commercial Member

That brings up another question. We stopped installing the Mobile and started installed the Kenwood forward mounted DVR with Collin Alert. If you can post a picture I can tell you exactly what got installed, but that mens it would be wires to the Kenwood.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #15

Thanks for the follow up. You definitely installed Mobileye, and I was charged $975 for it. Unit left your facility on May 18. Maybe your installer, the same one who left the Kenwood USB dongles behind the dash, wired the Mobileye to the Kenwood? Note that the blue light on the receiver cannot be turned off. Get ERROR 20 flashing on the screen all the time. Once again, GR Dealer has no idea what it means or how it is supposed to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3140.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	175216   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3141.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	175217  
Old 06-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #16

The Mobileye is about 100 times nicer than the Kenwood DVR W/lane departure imo

The Kenwood is cool because you can feed the video to the screen but it isn’t as smart as the Mobileye.
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable