Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #1

2020 Dyanamax Isata 5 36DS Inverter question

I am learning on the fly how all these systems work. I understand that one lug of the 50 amp service covers the coach and front AC and the other lug covers the second AC. I also understand that apparently everything runs through the inverter except the AC.

So now my question is, what am i doing wrong that is popping the 30 amp reset on the inverter? I know I am obviously pulling too much power (heater, coffee, etc), but if I have 50 amp service and one lug is the front AC and all the plugs and the other lug is the other AC only, why am I limited to only 30 amps? Am I looking at that wrong? The first time it did this, I noticed my Magnum controller had the Shore Power amps set at 30, so I changed that to 50. But it did it again a couple days later. Educate me.

Thank you!!
JCMITCHELL32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
Norwood Auto Italia

At the risk of adding to your confusion, I suspect but have not tested that Lug 1 is limited to 30amps; and there is no way to add loads to the connections that will take you over 30amps unless (and this is untested by me at least) you disable/pass through the Inverter. IOW, remove the inverter from the circuit limitation. Have you tried that?
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #3

If you have other high draw devices you could add outlets on leg2 to spread the load.

It is set up the way it is currently so You can run everything but the AC from the inverter. Unfortunately electric space heaters draw a LOT of current. If you plane to use them regularly then wiring in some other outlets to feed them from L2 is probably the best plan.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #4

I haven’t experienced this problem and have run multiple appliances while on shore power.

If heater you mean furnace then it is 12v.

What is the state of charge in the batteries? The system will charge batteries and the inverter converts 12v coming from the batteries to 120v for appliances and outlets. Furnace, usb, lights are 12v powered directly from the batteries.

I have the older Xantrex system and can see the load incoming and in use. Precision Plex shows this as well. There must be similar function on your system. Xantrex auto senses if on 50amp but if not there is a setting to indicate 30 amps or less.

When I had a problem with the inverter/ charger I did the following.

Disconnect from shore power, enable battery disconnect, disconnect power leads to inverter / charger and wait for 10 minutes. This will reset the system. Reattach power leads and start system.

Pat
Old 12-10-2021, 07:02 PM   #5

While the I5s have 100 amps of theoretical capability, the actual imitation is that other than the heat pumps, everything else goes via the inverter, limited to 30 amps. So a microwave and heater, or hairdryer, etc., cannot be used simultaneously.

Some of the 28ss pull a separate outlet from leg 2 for the outdoor kitchen stove. If you have that configuration, you can add an additional outlet on that circuit.

If not, your 120V ac panel prolly has a blank spot for a breaker on leg 2, where you could add an extra outlet, allowing an additional high current device to be used. I would expect it to be in position E on the diagram below, but you need to confirm your coach specific configuration.

(A related note - while on the generator, the individual legs are limited to 35 amps each, so you have to manage other loads while the leg 1 A/C is running.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 8.00.27 PM.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	266601  
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Boat View Post
While the I5s have 100 amps of theoretical capability, the actual imitation is that other than the heat pumps, everything else goes via the inverter, limited to 30 amps. So a microwave and heater, or hairdryer, etc., cannot be used simultaneously.

Some of the 28ss pull a separate outlet from leg 2 for the outdoor kitchen stove. If you have that configuration, you can add an additional outlet on that circuit.

If not, your 120V ac panel prolly has a blank spot for a breaker on leg 2, where you could add an extra outlet, allowing an additional high current device to be used. I would expect it to be in position E on the diagram below, but you need to confirm your coach specific configuration.

(A related note - while on the generator, the individual legs are limited to 35 amps each, so you have to manage other loads while the leg 1 A/C is running.)

I have used a electric heater and microwave at the same time. The convection oven draws more amps.

The heater I use draws 13 amps +- and the convection oven draws about the same.

I do watch how many amps appliance use. In almost 5yrs of use the inverter has supported everything. Don’t recall having tried everything at once ( electric heater, convection oven and fair dryer).

Tags
inverter, question