Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #1

2020 Isata 5 shower draining slow

I have a 2020 Isata 5. The shower is plugging after a few showers and will very slowly drain down. I measured the grey after last event and it was only 10 gallons. I thought the roof vent may be too restrictive and not allowing enough air in, but could it be I have a Hepvo and that is causing the problem?
George71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #2

I have and Isata5 30FW and ran into this the last time I was out too. Previously we had to fix an issue with the grey tank where the shower drains into the tank. In that process we found that there is not very much fall from the shower drain to the tank inlet. My issue turned out to be the level of the coach. It was not perfectly level and was leaning toward the living room slide a few degrees. I lowered the opposing side of the coach so there was a slight lean to the passenger side and that took care of the problem.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #3

Thanks so much for your reply. I will try that.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:05 AM   #4

After I thought about it I was at that angle in my driveway when I got home and it still did it.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:34 AM   #5

bclemens shower drain

I would like bclemens to provide any input possible
Old 10-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Have you tried plunging it a bit? Depending on what was used to winterize...I have seen the rubber flap on the HEPVO sort of stick together...so maybe only half is opening up. Maybe a couple of pushes with a plunger would open it up (just don't suck, back...just push forward).

As a side not, for some reason at the hotel I was at this past weekend, the toilet backed up. I had no plunger, but the water was clean (thank goodness) just seemed plugged. So I got an empty bottle of poland springs or whatever (cheap bottled water). Filled it up and then pushed it as far down the hole as I could and squeezed it hard. After two times, it cleared whatever was there. Something like that might also work...just a jet of water to clear.

As others have said...slope is a big part as well. We're only taking 1/8" per foot on a 1.5" drain...so it does not take much to lose that slope.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Just an outsider here with a suggestion in this matter of draining slowly.....

Make sure everyone understands which way will help with the slope issue, and then park the Isata with an exaggerated slope in that direction. This would be beyond what would be an acceptable slope if you were really staying on board camping somewhere.

If it drains better....then slope is critical in this design.

Free to try

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Have you tried plunging it a bit? Depending on what was used to winterize...I have seen the rubber flap on the HEPVO sort of stick together...so maybe only half is opening up. Maybe a couple of pushes with a plunger would open it up (just don't suck, back...just push forward).

As a side not, for some reason at the hotel I was at this past weekend, the toilet backed up. I had no plunger, but the water was clean (thank goodness) just seemed plugged. So I got an empty bottle of poland springs or whatever (cheap bottled water). Filled it up and then pushed it as far down the hole as I could and squeezed it hard. After two times, it cleared whatever was there. Something like that might also work...just a jet of water to clear.

As others have said...slope is a big part as well. We're only taking 1/8" per foot on a 1.5" drain...so it does not take much to lose that slope.
Thanks I did plunge it the other night and it may have helped, hard to tell it has been doing this awhile but it seems to be getting worse. It seems to do it now after a few showers 5-10 gallons so I initially thought as the tank filled it wasn't venting the air in the tank fast enough but I'm not sure. I have also had the black tank gurgle at me after being partially full but once I held the pedal down and let it breath it seemed ok that's what made me think the venting was insufficient. Is the hepvo just a rubber flapper inside or some kind of filter?
Old 10-29-2019, 01:22 PM   #9

Old 10-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #10

bclemens shower drain

Thanks now I see how it works. My question is if water is going in through the hepvo as it fills the tank how does the air in the tank escape to make room for more water? My shower drains fine until I have 5 to 10 gallons in it then it stops draining and takes about 10 or 20 minutes to drain an inch or so.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Air escapes via the vent stack that will connect somewhere along that pipe.

What floor plan are we talking about? I can look at the print then.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #12

bclemens shower drain

2020 isata 5 30fw
Old 10-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #13
Commercial Member

It looks to me like that run is not very long....If I was a betting man, I would bet that the coach is leaning JUST enough to the passenger side that water is accumulating on that end maybe? 5-10 gallons would do it. See if you can lean the coach to the driver side a bit and see if that helps?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D10090081.02 30FW DRAINAGE.pdf (1.93 MB, 64 views)

Old 10-30-2019, 08:01 AM   #14

Brian: Would you post the pdf for the 36 DS? We have been having a similar problem with our coach with the shower draining poorly.
Thanks
Old 10-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Here is the 36DS and the 35DB, just to save time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D10090075.01_36DS DRAINAGE.pdf (2.10 MB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf D10090078.00_35DB DRAINAGE.pdf (2.47 MB, 20 views)

Old 10-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #16

bclemens shower drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
It looks to me like that run is not very long....If I was a betting man, I would bet that the coach is leaning JUST enough to the passenger side that water is accumulating on that end maybe? 5-10 gallons would do it. See if you can lean the coach to the driver side a bit and see if that helps?
Thanks for the diagram, very helpful. I will try that next time I go out. If that doesn't work do you think it could be the vent cap on the roof? It looks like the screen is pretty restrictive.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #17

What year is your 30FW?

Mine is the first one built and it is not plumbed per the diagram that Brian posted. There is no vent in the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. I know for certain because I removed the paneling and looked while I was dealing with another issue.

Maybe Brian can determine when that change was made?
Old 10-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #18

bclemens shower drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratbros View Post
What year is your 30FW?

Mine is the first one built and it is not plumbed per the diagram that Brian posted. There is no vent in the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. I know for certain because I removed the paneling and looked while I was dealing with another issue.

Maybe Brian can determine when that change was made?
It's a 2020. Are you saying the black and grey tanks don't tie together in the wall and go up to the roof vent? If so maybe Brian can clarify.

Tags
drain, show, shower