Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #1

2021 Dynamax Isata 5 36DS 4x4 CCC-Winter Driving

Hi! We're excited to be searching for our first RV!

Can anyone tell me the CCC on a 2021 Dynamax Isata 5 36DS 4x4?

It seems to have changed a few times since the 2017 models which got a lot of attention on here. We just want to make sure we are looking at the CCC for the exact year and model we are interested in ordering.

I realize that the 4x4 option adds 300-400 pounds over the 4x2. We plan to ski in Colorado and Utah for several weeks each winter. We also plan to spend a lot of time in the Canadian Rockies during other parts of the year and have therefore assumed that 4x4 would be safer on potential snow/ice. We are brand new to RV driving, and our main priority is NOT driving off the side of an icy road! We DO NOT plan to ever take the RV off-road. The 4x4 is simply for mountainous winter driving conditions that I would assume would be made safer with a 4x4. We're also open to a Dynamax Force if the extra weight is actually more helpful on snow/ice than the 4x4!
theperrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #2

Every unit come off the line with a different CCC based on options. Look for a bright yellow sticker on the RV door frame that shows the weight. If you are working with a dealer, don’t believe what they say, insist they send you a picture of the sticker.

My only feedback on 4x4 is yes, it would help on snowy/icy roads and particularly help with resale as that is what most folks want. I got 4x4 and doubt I will ever use it as we stay where it’s warm, but I got it for resale.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #3

That makes sense. I'm just looking for a baseline idea (range even) without any options added on. The main options I would consider would be to upgrade to Lithium batteries if that would help on weight. If the CCC is higher than needed, we would consider adding the 200w solar, but that's not a deal breaker as the only place we would be interested in camping without hookups are NPs, which I believe with a toad we would be way too long for anyway.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Fully loaded with 4x4 ends up with about 1100lbs of CCC on the 36DS. We have just finished making some modifications to that floor plan so it will be called 34DS in the dear future. We shaved some inches off the back. I have no idea how that affected weight, but we are hopefuly it shaved some.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #5

Thank you bclemens. I think we might need slightly more. Do you know if a Dynamax Force would be equally stable as far as dealing with snow and ice? I don't have a good grip on what keeps these rigs on the road. Is the 4x4 more important, or overall weight? So, if I go with a heavier rig, could I safely forego the 4x4?

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 09-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
Commercial Member

I know FOURWHL has taken his on ski trips...same chassis as the Force.
My ski trips were an E450 in Canada. There, they don't salt the roads they just throw gravel on them. Having dually wheels makes all the difference in my mind. The Force HD would get you about 6,000 lbs of CCC. Just a different beast.

I love the 30FW...depends on how many you are taking, but that is a lot of room in a compact rig. You would have over 2,000 lbs of CCC, fully loaded 4x4. If price is not a big factor, then a 34KD would fit the bill nicely.

30FW with the Explorer package would be ideal for cold weather...just depends on how many people.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #7

Thank you, that's helpful! Typically, it will be me and my husband (we are very small), but on a few trip of the year we would have one or two college sons with us as well. I do like the 30f idea with the exception of the queen mattress having to fold in half. We're kind of weird about mattress comfort and will be adding a 3-4 inch foam topper to anything we buy. If you feel that the Force HD would be just as safe getting us to our ski destination, I would much rather pay the premium and have the heavier duty rig for the w/d option alone! We just didn't want to be attempting to use the wrong vehicle for the purpose, and therefore go sliding off the side of a mountain one fateful February!
Old 09-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theperrys View Post
Thank you, that's helpful! Typically, it will be me and my husband (we are very small), but on a few trip of the year we would have one or two college sons with us as well. I do like the 30f idea with the exception of the queen mattress having to fold in half. We're kind of weird about mattress comfort and will be adding a 3-4 inch foam topper to anything we buy. If you feel that the Force HD would be just as safe getting us to our ski destination, I would much rather pay the premium and have the heavier duty rig for the w/d option alone! We just didn't want to be attempting to use the wrong vehicle for the purpose, and therefore go sliding off the side of a mountain one fateful February!
The Force HD is more than capable and very flexible for extra guests. The Cab on that one can become part of the living room if needed.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #9

Awesome! The only reason we were considering the Isata 5 was winter driving! You've made our decision much easier. We can skip the laundrymat and bring the guys along when schedules permit! Thanks again !
Old 09-16-2020, 01:19 PM   #10
Commercial Member

You'll still need to chain-up for Colorado as I recall. Anything not 4x4, needs chains on the roads to the slopes.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #11

Just remember...

Quote:
Hi! We're excited to be searching for our first RV!

Can anyone tell me the CCC on a 2021 Dynamax Isata 5 36DS 4x4?

It seems to have changed a few times since the 2017 models which got a lot of attention on here. We just want to make sure we are looking at the CCC for the exact year and model we are interested in ordering.

I realize that the 4x4 option adds 300-400 pounds over the 4x2. We plan to ski in Colorado and Utah for several weeks each winter. We also plan to spend a lot of time in the Canadian Rockies during other parts of the year and have therefore assumed that 4x4 would be safer on potential snow/ice. We are brand new to RV driving, and our main priority is NOT driving off the side of an icy road! We DO NOT plan to ever take the RV off-road. The 4x4 is simply for mountainous winter driving conditions that I would assume would be made safer with a 4x4. We're also open to a Dynamax Force if the extra weight is actually more helpful on snow/ice than the 4x4!
Just remember that all cars/trucks/motorhomes have four-wheel brakes. You may get started quicker, but you won't stop any quicker.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #12

Good point, Larry-NC!

Which coach would be better "at stopping?" Heavier duty rig like Force HD or Isata 5?
Old 09-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #13

Winter driving is a challenge in its own. I lived in Minnesota For 70 years my wife for 64. We also traveled through out the Us and Canada. I also spent time in Colorado during the fall and winter. We have a 5th wheel and a 4 wheel drive pickup. We don’t move when the roads are bad. However I have tire chains for both the trailer and pickup. The most important part of going down the road is keeping things straight and STOPPING.
curteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #14

I really like the Force HD 34KD floor plan, but don’t discount the Isata 5 30FW 4x4. Ours has a 2192 lb CCC and can sleep six, four comfortably. Seatbelts for six.

I maintain the 30FW is the best value for the money. It’s a 50% step up in price to move to the Force and then up from there. In some states (Texas where I live), you have to get a non-commercial CDL license (with driving test) to drive anything over 26,001 lbs GVWR. Just something to know.

The RV Queen bed is comfortable and we added a 2” memory foam topper which works well. We had the folding bed in our prior Isata 3 for three years and never were uncomfortable.

Here is our sticker that I mentioned is on the door frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBE6A57B-964C-4315-B4B7-BE5B98B26579.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	239284  
Old 09-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #15

milkman55, that is certainly something to think about. If the fold up queen bed supports a foam topper and is comfortable, we can definitely make that CCC work and save big $. I hadn't even thought about the additional license Thank you so much for the door label pic!
Old 09-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #16

Just make sure the topper is for an RV Queen. Here is the one we bought. Put a RV Queen mattress protector over the topper and mattress and it’s holds everything in place when you fold the bed. Works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G0...b_b_asin_title
Old 09-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Good point, Larry-NC!

Which coach would be better "at stopping?" Heavier duty rig like Force HD or Isata 5?
Depends largely on tire size relative to unit weight and most importantly tire tread.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I know FOURWHL has taken his on ski trips...same chassis as the Force.
My ski trips were an E450 in Canada. There, they don't salt the roads they just throw gravel on them. Having dually wheels makes all the difference in my mind. The Force HD would get you about 6,000 lbs of CCC. Just a different beast.

I love the 30FW...depends on how many you are taking, but that is a lot of room in a compact rig. You would have over 2,000 lbs of CCC, fully loaded 4x4. If price is not a big factor, then a 34KD would fit the bill nicely.

30FW with the Explorer package would be ideal for cold weather...just depends on how many people.
My take on driving in the snow -

Disclaimer: I haven't done a ton, as I actively avoid it, but at the same time like to be prepared.

The 20k on the rear axle, plus locker, plus dually effectively gives you 4 wheel drive (see what I did there? 4 wheels driving). In low traction situations it that still provides a lot of driving force. Not to say you cant get a DX3 stuck. As soon as you dig that rear axle into a hole (whether in snow, sand or whatever) you're done and need to reassess.

So as far as snow goes, how deep are we talking is really the question.

I've driven in a couple inches a couple times. Once had to climb a decent hill in Iowa that had semis literally strewn in the ditches as it was a surprise storm and nobody (even the DOT) were prepared for it. I popped the locker on and walked right up the hill.

That said I do my best to avoid driving I70 through Colorado when storms are forecast. I carry both dually chains and a set of cables for the front tires. In the event I need to use them they're there, but I'd really rather not. I've driven in enough storms in alpine conditions to see even automobile transit be hazardous.

But anyways, I think the biggest plus is as people have mentioned for 4WD getting you though chain checkpoints when conditions are marginal.

As for skiing we did Tahoe and Breckenridge last year. Both arrivals were within 24 hours of a large snow event. Biggest thing with winter RV travel that'll make your life easier is flexibility in schedule. It's not hard to miss the storm and come when conditions aren't terrible if you can swing your travel a day or two.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #19

Quote:
You'll still need to chain-up for Colorado as I recall. Anything not 4x4, needs chains on the roads to the slopes.
In Colorado, along the I70 corridor, from mile marker 133 (Dotsero) to mile marker 260 (Morrison), from 9/1 to 5/31, in non-commercial vehicles, you are required to have:

4WD/AWD and 3/16” tread depth
Or
Tires with a mud and snow designation (M+S icon) and 3/16” tread depth
Or
Winter tires (mountain-snowflake icon) and 3/16” tread depth
Or
Tires with an all-weather rating by the manufacturer and 3/16” tread depth
Or
Chains or an AutoSock

It’s also a “secondary offense”, meaning that they cannot stop of you for violating this, but if you are stopped for something else (or in an accident), you can get a ticket for it. If you are stopped in a through lane of traffic and are unable to get out of that lane due to lack of traction, it’s a $650 fine.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #20

Quote:
<snip>......We have just finished making some modifications to that floor plan so it will be called 34DS in the dear future. We shaved some inches off the back. I have no idea how that affected weight, but we are hopefuly it shaved some.
uhhhhh, care to share a floor plan CAD drawing or a back of the napkin sketch?

Tags
winter, dynamax isata 5