Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 08:54 PM   #21

I wonder if they could make a version of the awning that they install on the Isata 3 for the M2s.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #22

I am not an owner yet, so I can't view the issue in person, but in the short term, in lieu of re-engineering to system, what about a good old-fashion redneck workaround? Can something be readily placed on the slideout in the offending area that would allow your more favorable angle, but prevent further damage?
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #23

pool noodles on the top edge
Old 09-15-2021, 09:24 PM   #24
Retired Army Paratrooper

Our solution to the awning being high and not providing much shade was to add sunshade that drops down 3' and blocks most of the sun. We also have another 6' section that zips onto the bottom of the 3' section that increase's the distance all the way down to the ground. Since doing this we have been able to enjoy the awning much more. The cost for this solution was less than $200. The part that is attached to the roller rolls up with your awning and then deploys you deploy the awning. Hope this helps with a possible solution for your situation.
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning shade.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	262887  
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
I think, and thought from day one, the roof mounted awning would be required to clear the camp side slides on the Force with the high camp side slides, because of the extra six or so inches of height/clearance. However, listening to all the problems with the Carefree roof mounted awnings I'm not so sure I'd like that, yet. If they worked correctly, I think that is the solution. If you are going to offer the Force with the high roof slides, then use the higher roof mounted awning. That's my solution. Pretty simple stuff.

I had an XL TS with the roof mounted Carefree Awnings:
1.They extend basically straight out and unless the sun was directly overhead they did not provide very much shade.
2.Everything I have read and researched regarding RV awnings, in general, whether on a travel trailer or motorhome, says do not leave the awnings out during rain events or gusty winds. I’ve only been doing this about 5 years now and have seen 3 or 4 destroyed awnings where people did not heed that warning. The DX3 awnings and the XL awnings have wind sensors…I don’t even trust those when leaving the campsite. Awnings always come in during windy/rainy conditions.
3.As you have read, the Carefree Awnings are anything but carefree. Unless, of course, carefree means I just don’t care anymore that my awnings don’t work. Just read what “EdandShelley” are going through with theirs and you will get the picture.

Maybe the adjustment up and down is there so the manufacturer can adjust the awning to meet the requirements of the coach they are to be installed on. On a TS maybe they need to be adjusted higher to clear the slide room, whereas on a BH maybe they could be a little lower because there is no slide there. I don’t see it as a design defect.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:33 PM   #26

Solution. Mount a couple small boat trailer side guide roller assemblies using topper brackets. They are light, much smaller than keel rollers.
They won't correct the awning angle issues, but they will considerably limit the damage done to the awning by the slide corner. Could add a topper in the same brackets if a shorter main awning is in your future.
If the offending slide issue is at the R rear corner, install a shorter main awning that avoids the slide. Or, split the awnings so that the forward awning could be positioned as desired, and the rear serving as a topper. The overall appearance would be minimally changed. The awning rail requires no modifications.. the rear brackets would remain in place, the new rear awning brackets would both be utilized in front of the slide box.. Lots of dual awnings on large units.
One thing is clear, you'll soon enough have an unrepairable hole in your awning with continued use as-is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210916-000556_Chrome.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	262890
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #27
Commercial Member

wow, lots to unpack here. I should have a rule that I avoid all posts for 24hrs to let them play out So interesting.

I will try to keep this short (my wife is rolling her eyes somewhere).

1. I said it would not be considered a warrantable item, not that we wouldn't help with a solution. It seems there has been agreement on that so I will move on.

2. MOJO and others had it spot on. The adjustment and height of the Traveler awning is a feature, not a design flaw (based on historical perspective). The regular Traveler awning does not have adjustable arms and so it would hit the slide room (and people like opposing slides). So, one would have two choices here. They either mount the awning onto the slide room itself (which greatly diminished the length of the awning) OR, they shorten the slide room (with no awning adjustment, dramatically). Both options are trade offs. I can tell you from experience, when we shorten the overall height of anything, people will notice and not be happy about it. So we bought the traveler with adjustments so that we can raise it up and clear the slide room, leaving the slide room the full height and maximizing the awning length. That's not to say that we won't lower the slide room anyway, but it will likely be met with someone not excited about about something that used to fit in the cabinet over the kitchen and no longer does. (as FOURWHL said....its all about trade-offs)

3. When I posted the link for the tape, that was not necessarily the only option. If you google awning repair tape, there are countless options there. That, in my mind, is the simplest and most cost effective quick solution. Reinforce the area in question...before it wears. I think most negative reviews on the tape would be about how it performs with a tear (not to prevent one).

4. I find human nature very interesting. We often come in with pre-conceived notions (myself included) and so when a solution does not fit into what we were expecting, it can be quickly dismissed as not viable.

For example. We saw paint cracking at flexible joints or where paint went over a seal. When this happened we suggested a customer go over that joint in black seal. It would never crack the paint again and there was lots of black trim on the coach. Windows, door frame, chassis windshield trim. That was almost 100% of the time met with anger that we would suggest such a terrible solution. I paid $XXXX for this rig and I expect it to be painted. How dare you? (forgetting that when it was out of warranty, it will crack again and they would likely go over it in black) Well, we made that standard at the factory. Now that it comes that way from the factory, I don't think I have gotten a single complaint. Now I will because people will be looking for it

So, I wonder, had we added a patch to the spot before hand, would it have been met with "oh wow, they thought of everything"?

5. In regards to a roof mounted awning. That type of awning is considerably more expensive to install, repair, replace, more difficult to get, and that doesn't even include the false awnings we have to install to make it look right. (which is why it is on the DX3 and XL). It would also STILL hit the slide topper. unless it was adjusted almost straight out. Carefree did not make a two-stage at the time. So same objection even with a roof awning (not a solution). We tried a two-stage roof from Carefree and it hit as well. We have finally gotten a Girard two stage that would work, which is even more money and has its own complexities.

6. We have talked about a 2-stage awning like we use on the Isata 3 & 5....BUT, that is not built with a metal wrapped awning (and needs different backer). So, when you spend that kind of money on a Force, is someone going to be upset that it has no metal awning cover? I assure you someone will be.

So, long term, its a matter of which trade off to choose.

Short term on your awning...I would say to raise it back up, a reinforcement of "some" type, a shade screen that drops down like MasterBlaster. Also, it is only limited in certain circumstances, depending on how you are parked. If the sun is oriented at the front of back of the coach, no awning is helping.

If you shoot some pictures of your awning out (adjusted down), in a "rubbing" position vs. all the way up. I am happy to look further.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #28

Thumbs up

Since the first few posts, this thread has taken a very positive track with some real good insight and solutions. I am particularly interested in the Sun Shade concept. After a quick search there appears to be so many options, I am wondering if Dennis, or others, have specific manufacturer or part numbers that will fit the Carefree Traveler that is on the Force. Thanks Brian for the history. Very interesting. I would like to suggest adding some of that narrative into the Awning section of the Force owners manual. This was one of rare times I actually did read it when I first was unhappy with the height of the extended awning. Therein it explains how to adjust the height/pitch, and even explains that you can have unequal setting of up to three positions from side to side, yes, for drainage. So I am assuming they are intended to some degree as a rain shade. Perhaps a notation or caution therein, to avoid lowering the pitch to a point that the awning could come into contact with a slide top. And, perhaps a section on options, such as Sun Shades for the awning, although I don't see such a product on the Carefree website.

There are some good solutions and suggestions offered here that I never would have been aware of had I not started the thread in the first place, and would have eventually had a hole in my awning. I actually would prefer the raised height, and at the same time avoiding the slide out conflict, and find the correct sunshade extension. Good stuff. Thank you.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #29

Therein lies the power of sourcing information from a crowd and not just one source. It's what the community is all about in a nutshell really.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Its also pretty well documented that the awnings are absolutely not meant to be left out in the rain or a marginal wind. These are not set out when you setup camp and walk away awnings. I wouldn't trust ours unless we're sitting there using it. This is not something unique to your rig.

What you're looking for I, at least based on what you're saying, is a two stage awning as seen on the I5 and I3. But alas those have been tested repeatedly and will not clear a slide.
So if it doesn’t protect from sun, rain, and can’t handle a slight wind, what good is it? I thought that’s what they were for. At least that’s what we use ours for.
Maybe find some of those little wheels that some have on the door corner to protect the awning.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
So if it doesn’t protect from sun, rain, and can’t handle a slight wind, what good is it? I thought that’s what they were for. At least that’s what we use ours for.
Maybe find some of those little wheels that some have on the door corner to protect the awning.
Not sure we're comparing apples to apples here, but I was specifically referring to the awnings installed on Dynamax Freightliner based coaches. Not all awnings in general.

But in my experience the answer to your question in my opinion is "a few very specific situations"

I've seen plenty ripped off in all of those situations and I'm just not interested in the $10k repair bill when an $200 ez-up will do.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:46 PM   #32

I have a roof mount awning on my Forest River Vibe and noticed it was rubbing on the edge of the slide out and figured that would be a problem. I wound up putting pool noodles on the top edge of the slide. I slit them lengthwise and stick them on the edge of the slide and problem solved. Not sure if that is feasible for you or not.
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:16 PM   #33

You might want to post a few pictures of your issue.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:28 AM   #34

I raised my awning a notch, and don't extend the slide out past the hard plastic awning protector, which I am guessing is about 8" which is plenty of room inside since the entire living and dinette slides out a long distant on the Force 37TS, I'm thinking maybe 3 ft. The only possible issue I see, is that without the camp side slide out all the way, it's not up against the seals and there is some daylight showing at the bottom corners which could allow insect or mice in. It's actually not bad with the slide left all the way in, except for a couple of cabinets you can't open, and as others have mentioned it keeps the camp side clear. The living room is huge on this model. And on those rare occasions there may be company inside, both slides can always go out. I also intend to get a two or three foot add on curtain for the front of the awning.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #35

I try not and partially extend slides as a habit for the reasons you noted. Your depending on the wiper seals at that point. They're not going to be 100% water proof either.

That said they're are definitely times that have required it
Old 09-21-2021, 07:01 PM   #36
Retired Army Paratrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
Since the first few posts, this thread has taken a very positive track with some real good insight and solutions. I am particularly interested in the Sun Shade concept. After a quick search there appears to be so many options, I am wondering if Dennis, or others, have specific manufacturer or part numbers that will fit the Carefree Traveler that is on the Force. Thanks Brian for the history. Very interesting. I would like to suggest adding some of that narrative into the Awning section of the Force owners manual. This was one of rare times I actually did read it when I first was unhappy with the height of the extended awning. Therein it explains how to adjust the height/pitch, and even explains that you can have unequal setting of up to three positions from side to side, yes, for drainage. So I am assuming they are intended to some degree as a rain shade. Perhaps a notation or caution therein, to avoid lowering the pitch to a point that the awning could come into contact with a slide top. And, perhaps a section on options, such as Sun Shades for the awning, although I don't see such a product on the Carefree website.

There are some good solutions and suggestions offered here that I never would have been aware of had I not started the thread in the first place, and would have eventually had a hole in my awning. I actually would prefer the raised height, and at the same time avoiding the slide out conflict, and find the correct sunshade extension. Good stuff. Thank you.
This is the web site I purchased my sun shade from.
https://www.shadepro.net/vista-shade...RoCQp4QAvD_BwE
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2021, awning