Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 02:12 PM   #1

2021 Force 37TS early awning wear

The Force 37TS has a long camp-side slide for the entertainment center and kitchen. However, unlike the DX3 and XL which have a roof mount awning, the Force has a side mount awning. When I was ordering it I even asked the salesman how the awning was going to clear the top of the slide. Well, as seems no surprise, the awning does rest, rather tightly on the outer edge of the slide. And within a very short amount of time there is a noticeable dimple and thin spot in the awning, most noticeable on the back corner of the slide, but it is noticeable the entire length of the slide. I've attached a photo where it can be seen, but being as it is black, it is a bit hard to get the full effect. I have little doubt that in short order a hole is going to develop. I was thinking perhaps the awning company may have some type of double thickness adhere-on fabric of the same color that perhaps they use in wear areas like this before a hole actually develops. I will be back at my dealer in Phoenix in early November for a few weeks and would really like to get a plan and parts in place in advance, if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning wear-2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	262873  

2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #2
Motorized GM

I just posted this in another thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Fabric-Boat-W...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:34 PM   #3
Motorized GM

There are also adjustments on the arms of the Traveler awning itself. They may have already adjusted it to the highest point...but there are little buttons on the arms. I think the adjustment is reverse of what you think...as in, moving the arm down on the little buttons makes the top sit higher? I always forget that. BUT, if it is on the middle button, then you know you have at least one more adjustment point.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 09-15-2021, 02:50 PM   #4

Actually I spent quite a bit of time on those adjustments on the arms, and there lies part of the problem. The dealer had the awning adjusted as high as it could go, which I'd suspect is how it came from the factory, which was way too high. Not sure in feet, but it wasn't pleasant at all, barely any pitch at all, and significantly diminishes the whole purpose of the awning. I asked the dealer about adjusting it down, when I was doing my walk through, and was told that's as low as it goes. Actually it was as high as it could go. So I read the instructions, used those buttons you referred to, and lowered it to what I felt comfortable. I actually tried all the settings. I'm not sure which setting I left it on but its well over a 6' mans head so I'd guess maybe its about 7 ft. So it seems, in summary, that unless you keep the adjustment all the way up, it is going to make contact with the slide. I keep thinking back when looking at that slide on a dealer site (not extended) and seeing how little space there was between the roof, and the top of the slide on this model, that perhaps they were going to use a roof mounted awning on the Force 37TS due to the limited space. That didn't happen, so now it seems there is an issue. Warrantee issue I would think as this is seems to be a design issue? Right?

I took a look at the repair tape link you provided and didn't get a real sense of confidence from the mixture of reviews.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
Actually I spent quite a bit of time on those adjustments on the arms, and there lies part of the problem. The dealer had the awning adjusted as high as it could go, which I'd suspect is how it came from the factory, which was way too high. Not sure in feet, but it wasn't pleasant at all, barely any pitch at all, and significantly diminishes the whole purpose of the awning. I asked the dealer about adjusting it down, when I was doing my walk through, and was told that's as low as it goes. Actually it was as high as it could go. So I read the instructions, used those buttons you referred to, and lowered it to what I felt comfortable. I actually tried all the settings. I'm not sure which setting I left it on but its well over a 6' mans head so I'd guess maybe its about 7 ft. So it seems, in summary, that unless you keep the adjustment all the way up, it is going to make contact with the slide. I keep thinking back when looking at that slide on a dealer site (not extended) and seeing how little space there was between the roof, and the top of the slide on this model, that perhaps they were going to use a roof mounted awning on the Force 37TS due to the limited space. That didn't happen, so now it seems there is an issue. Warrantee issue I would think as this is seems to be a design issue? Right?

I took a look at the repair tape link you provided and didn't get a real sense of confidence from the mixture of reviews.
It would not be a warranty issue unfortunately.

The Force TS, we adjust it high so that it will clear the slide room and not rub. Adjusting it down, might provide more shade, but then it will rub. We have never used a roof mounted awning on the Force. On a DX3, even with a roof awning, it comes straight out for the same reason.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #6

That doesn't make any sense to me. You have a design that admittedly can't be utilized as designed because it will rub, and presumably lead to failure? That's sounds like warranty to me. If what you have told me is a formal decision, may I ask if there is an appeal process. Hopefully you can take some time to discuss it internally and see if there isn't an easier solution.
Thank you.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:33 PM   #7

I'm confused. You adjusted your awning that was clearing the slide so that it hits and now you're looking for warranty coverage of damage that isn't even occurred yet?

Just adjust it back to where its supposed to be and enjoy your rig.

Full-time Dynamax Resident
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:02 PM   #8

I would say the appeal process starts with RV Trader. If you are not happy move on. I cant see that admitting an adjustment on your own, causing it to hit and then asking for a warranty issue? I sit in a lot of arbitrations and appeals, I think this would be a quick one.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #9

Perhaps I am not explaining this clearly. The awning needs to be adjusted nearly horizontal, no pitch, end perhaps 10' off the ground in order to clear the slide. I doubt any of you would like that. At any rate, in all the RV's I've had and visited, this is an anomaly. And to say, the adjustments that are available, lower, cannot be used, is also not appropriate. It would be akin to saying, your drivers seat can only be used at its fullest height, even though there are lower heights. If you don't like it because your head hits the ceiling, RV Trader? Really?

Old 09-15-2021, 07:02 PM   #10

Oh and BTW, in the high (cleared) position, you end up in a decent rain with about 20 gallons of water pooling that will certainly bring it down, which I fortunately noticed and got it pitched in time to avoid that. What do you call that? RV Trader? Move on and enjoy your rig when the awning falls down? I brought this subject up cordially and asked about options that may be available when I didn't agree immediately with Brian. I'm actually a bit taken back with the responses. I don't think RV Trader is very constructive, nor is suck it up. If anyone has some constructive input to a real problem please chime in. If anyone has a Force 37TS and has noticed this issue, and has some input I'd be very interested in that also. I feel it's an issue. I wasn't going to get into it, but I'm honestly disappointed the manufacturer, Brian, wasn't more intersected in a possible defect or problem that they may want to look into. Or, perhaps they are. I haven't heard back from Brian yet. I'm not here to badger or belittle. I think this is an issue. I am happy to participate in a constructive path to looking into this. But to say it's not an issue, is simply not accurate.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:11 PM   #11

we have a BH Force, it stays out pretty straight, but the height of our units is so high I dont feel you can get it pitched enough to get a lot of shade, so we have lived with it for 5 years, and we are fine with it.

Also, it never, never, never stays open in the rain, whether you pitch it or not, it will puddle and collapse the arms causing a lot of damage. There are a few owners on here with Force’s that have seen it happen and had to replace all of the damaged material out of pocket.

I was merely suggesting that asking about an appeal is as crazy as me suggesting RV Trader. To each their own.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:16 PM   #12

Halla. I wasn't asking about the "Court of Appeals", or arbitration. I meant more like, how to get this looking into by other eyes within the FR structure. I'm long in the tooth in the mechanical industry and have worked on many problems and solutions. I simply meant perhaps if others put their mind to this there may be a solution. It is a problem and its not just, don't leave your awning out in the rain. In fact, I leave my awning out on purpose in the rain to keep the camp site dry. Sometimes I enjoy sitting under the awning in the rain. Perhaps "appeal" was the wrong choice of words, but crazy I am not.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:28 PM   #13

I understand exactly what you're describing because it's literally how all the freightliner based Dynamax awnings work, roof mounted or not. My BH doesn't go over a slide and it still works like this. There are a multitude of threads discussing the usefulness (or lacktherof) but most of us just buy an ez up and use the awnings in the few instances they're useful.

What I think you're missing is that a warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship, ie when something breaks not when "It doesn't work like I want it to"... thats up to you the buyer to assess before buying.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #14

Its also pretty well documented that the awnings are absolutely not meant to be left out in the rain or a marginal wind. These are not set out when you setup camp and walk away awnings. I wouldn't trust ours unless we're sitting there using it. This is not something unique to your rig.

What you're looking for I, at least based on what you're saying, is a two stage awning as seen on the I5 and I3. But alas those have been tested repeatedly and will not clear a slide.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:10 PM   #15

Hmmm. That's interesting. I hadn't looked at it that way. Nor had I expected the response I am getting. I working in the electrical distribution industry to 35+ years. I worked on electrical substations and distribution lines. I've been an IBEW electrical contractor for most of those years. In the field we had weekly project meetings. In those meetings is was more often than not the field personnel were bringing to the project engineers problems with designs that simply didn't work out as intended. Its was a fluid motion of everyone working together. Some how we all worked together, everyone listened to everyone's experience regardless of their educational degree, and we kept the lights on. I apologize if my professional experience doesn't flow well in this environment. I feel there is a problem. Call it what you will. But when I hear that Force owners can't keep there awnings out in the rain, lest they be damaged, to me that an issue worth looking into. I agree I would never walk away and leave my awning up. Nor would I leave it out in certain wind conditions. But I do believe they are fully intended to be left out as a rain shade as well as a sun shade. I may be wrong. I may end up just sucking it up, but I am certainly not resorting to RV trader. If I were FR, I'd be looking at an alternative awning concept. Just my opinion. Please don't hold it against me. And I would like to continue this discussion if it can be done constructively.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #16

I think, and thought from day one, the roof mounted awning would be required to clear the camp side slides on the Force with the high camp side slides, because of the extra six or so inches of height/clearance. However, listening to all the problems with the Carefree roof mounted awnings I'm not so sure I'd like that, yet. If they worked correctly, I think that is the solution. If you are going to offer the Force with the high roof slides, then use the higher roof mounted awning. That's my solution. Pretty simple stuff.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #17

I think that's a perfectly valid discussion to have, granted in my experience it's going to end in a set of tradeoffs based on a lack of options that are decided to fit the largest market.

Regardless having a discussion about how you'd like it to work is a lot different than demanding warranty work from damage you caused.

I find it's often best to figure out what the intended behavior is and what other experiences are before crying foul for something that doesn't work like you expect it to.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #18

Ok. I'll go with that. How about just forget the warrantee thing, and work on a solution. Although, I don't see there is an agreement there is even a problem. ??? I believe an awning is intended as much as a rain shade as a sun shade. It seems there is not an agreement or compromise on that. I certainly have used all awnings as both.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
I think, and thought from day one, the roof mounted awning would be required to clear the camp side slides on the Force with the high camp side slides, because of the extra six or so inches of height/clearance. However, listening to all the problems with the Carefree roof mounted awnings I'm not so sure I'd like that, yet. If they worked correctly, I think that is the solution. If you are going to offer the Force with the high roof slides, then use the higher roof mounted awning. That's my solution. Pretty simple stuff.
If I bought again I'd be beg borrowing and pleading to get a side mounted force awning on my DX3.

Grass is always greener I guess

Old 09-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #20

Haha. I can fully be sympathetic to that from what I've followed herein. Although, I do believe the roof mounted awning is a great concept. It just has some bugs to be worked out. On the other hand, a simple CAD drawing would show the Force awning can't be drained in the rain, nor lowered to an industry standard height/pitch.

Tags
2021, awning