Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #1

2021 Force M2-106 radio

Thought I read about radio upgrades for the stock radio, but can't find it. Anyway, anyone know of a better radio to replace the stock M2 106 radio, which is a Kenwood DDX6906S. Even if it needs to be mounted elsewhere. I can't reach it safely when driving anyway, so maybe another location would be a good idea. I understand there are radios that the business end mounts wherever you need (under dash?) but the display head, which is more compact could mount where convenient. I have space on the dash to the left of my camera display that would fit something perhaps. I am assuming this would be the same as a DX3. Not sure about the XL. Perhaps there is an upgraded steering wheel that could have the basic controls, as well as Cruise Control switches, which are very inconvenient on the dash as they are.

2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
Thought I read about radio upgrades for the stock radio, but can't find it. Anyway, anyone know of a better radio to replace the stock M2 106 radio, which is a Kenwood DDX6906S. Even if it needs to be mounted elsewhere. I can't reach it safely when driving anyway, so maybe another location would be a good idea. I understand there are radios that the business end mounts wherever you need (under dash?) but the display head, which is more compact could mount where convenient. I have space on the dash to the left of my camera display that would fit something perhaps. I am assuming this would be the same as a DX3. Not sure about the XL. Perhaps there is an upgraded steering wheel that could have the basic controls, as well as Cruise Control switches, which are very inconvenient on the dash as they are.
If you find something you like I would be interested in purchasing your DDX6906S.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #3

"If" I do, I will certainly let you know.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #4

I am very content with the Kenwood DNX775RVS that is standard in the 2021 XL. I actually upgraded the radio in my 2018 to this radio back in 2019. Has Garmin RV Navigation which has worked well for me. Now, with the quad camera view screen on the dash, I wouldn’t want another big screen up there.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #5

I should have mentioned, I have no need for any navigation in my radio. I use a Samsung 8" tablet in split screen view and use either RVtripwizard GPS, Sygic or Google maps. I have it mounted on a flexible gooseneck mounted from the bottom of the lower console. All I am looking for in a radio is a AM/FM radio with SiriuxXM. With bluetooth so my phone will play on the speakers.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
When you read about upgrades, it was normally from the old Xite we used to run and the consensus was the Kenwood DNX775RVS as Mojo pointed out.

Your radio is the same version minus the Garmin Nav. The uptake was so high on the Nav version, we just made it standard across the board for 2022 MY.

There are some 10" "floating" screen radios out there...but frankly, until they have an RV/Truck navigation, we haven't looked to change. Kenwood was working on one, but I think Covid slowed that down. Garmin makes a radio...but we also want them to work and its hard to beat Kenwood for reliability.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
I am very content with the Kenwood DNX775RVS that is standard in the 2021 XL. Has Garmin RV Navigation which has worked well for me. Now, with the quad camera view screen on the dash, I wouldn’t want another big screen up there.
X2
Old 10-19-2021, 05:53 PM   #8

Sony XAV-AX8000 1DIN chassis 8.95” floating LCD screen. This is the concept I am looking for. The only problem I see with this Sony are the many reviews the screen is not bright enough, which would be very frustrating. Pioneer also has some interesting prospects. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Sony XAV-AX8000 1DIN chassis 8.95” floating LCD screen. This is the concept I am looking for. The only problem I see with this Sony are the many reviews the screen is not bright enough, which would be very frustrating. Pioneer also has some interesting prospects. Any other suggestions appreciated.
I had my radio high on my list to replace. Felt uncomfortable with the reach also. Went your route with a tablet right close and run GPS, BlueFire, Amazon music, anything. So now the radio is lower on the list but this is still it. Other DIN/Screen sizes available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HQCYLGZ...lig_dp_it&th=1

Maybe you can add a Sirius 3rd party adapter or run the app.
I like the flexibility with Android. Just my 2 cents.
Trialrun85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:50 PM   #10

I put a kenwood in my DX3, I did the opposite of most and got one WITHOUT nav. With an iPad you have live updating navigation with traffic. Can’t beat it.

For off road navigation or when you have no service there are tons of apps that can do this.

I keep my radio for music use only.

Second screen for rear view camera only. Mounted in the dash as to not look silly. Looks factory.

iPad for nav.

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:37 AM   #11

Trailrun85, that Amazon link is very interesting. Very much along the lines I had in mind.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
I put a kenwood in my DX3, I did the opposite of most and got one WITHOUT nav. With an iPad you have live updating navigation with traffic. Can’t beat it.

For off road navigation or when you have no service there are tons of apps that can do this.

I keep my radio for music use only.

Second screen for rear view camera only. Mounted in the dash as to not look silly. Looks factory.

iPad for nav.

—john
I feel the same way. I bought the latest Garmin and it went back. The fact that it was running on ancient Android and locked to 1 task was a crime to me for what they charge and dedicating precious dash space to accomplish 1 thing. if it was $250 then maybe but not for close to a grand. Plus it was clunky and in accurate. I have a Sony with Tom Tom but I can not reach the radio with any comfort/safety. Now the tablet sits above the dash right above the shifter. My copilot can grab the tablet and make reservations or pay a bill or plot a new course while i drive, It can do most anything really. My radio is now the rear camera monitor and linked to the tablet for music. I use the mirrors and one day I'm gonna cut the turn signal triggers.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Trailrun85, that Amazon link is very interesting. Very much along the lines I had in mind.

The list of features and addon's is pretty intriguing. Good reviews too. Other brands out there also score well.

John
Old 10-23-2021, 09:27 AM   #14

Here's the same ATATO in 8" model, which looks to me would fit the M2 dash in place of the Kenwood. Its a "floating head" so it sticks out from the dash a little bit to be able to accommodate the swivel and tilt. Its a "single DIN" business end, which I am not sure exactly what that means, and not sure what the stock Kenwood size is except the unit appears to be about 8" diagonally, which is the same as the 8" ATATO.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VJ66CNL...i?th=1#nav-top

The 10" might fit but in my opinion may be unnecessarily large, at least for my purposes as I am only interested in a radio. Also, haven't confirmed it has SiriusXM which I on my must-have list of features.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:35 AM   #15

A reviewer had this to say about the ATATO6.

"Also, after trying 3 other Android radios, i got my SiriusXM working with this one. Just so ya know, all you need is a 3.5mm Female to 2RCA Male Stereo Audio Cable and plug it into the AUX Left and Right inputs on this radio and the dash installable XM unit"

Old 10-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Here's the same ATATO in 8" model, which looks to me would fit the M2 dash in place of the Kenwood. Its a "floating head" so it sticks out from the dash a little bit to be able to accommodate the swivel and tilt. Its a "single DIN" business end, which I am not sure exactly what that means, and not sure what the stock Kenwood size is except the unit appears to be about 8" diagonally, which is the same as the 8" ATATO.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VJ66CNL...i?th=1#nav-top

The 10" might fit but in my opinion may be unnecessarily large, at least for my purposes as I am only interested in a radio. Also, haven't confirmed it has SiriusXM which I on my must-have list of features.
The DIN size refers to the hole in the dash that accommodates the chassis of the Radio / Head unit. Here are those sizes from a website...

There are two main sizes of card stereo head units, the first of which is single DIN (2⅛ inches (50 mm) high and 7⅛ inches (180 mm) in width. Double DIN is the next main size and is usually more than 4 inches tall (110mm), and the same width.

Head Unit Type Height Width
Single DIN 2 inches (51mm) 7 inches (178mm)
Double DIN 4 inches (102mm) 7 inches (178mm)
1.5 DIN (Uncommon) 3 inches (76mm) 7 inches (178mm)

My M2 106 is double DIN. Your current unit is filling a Double DIN hole.

That is because it has a large ( larger than 2" inches high) screen that is flush with the cut out in the dash. My 2015 M2 has a opening height of about 4 3/8.

With the Advent of these "Floating Screens", it means that the Display has some sort of extension arm to get it out past the cut out of the dash which gives you larger screens than the physical cut out in the dash will allow.

So you need a radio chassis that is the same size or smaller than the opening . looks to me both radios, the one you provided and the on I am looking at mount in a single DIN hole. So you will be fine. You might need some sort trim kit. and I have not even checked to see if they do make a Wiring kit and Trim kit for the M2. If I have to I will hard wire. It also looks like depending on how far out you adjust the floating screen (it is adjustable in and out from the rest of the chassis) you might not even need a trim kit. I honestly cant say. But something can be done to dress it up.

I think these pics will help
Your current Radio (Top Pic) chassis is over 2" high, although its under 4. I consider it Double Din.
The Radio you sent the link to is the pic on the bottom.
It chassis is 2" high.
Looks like they include an adjustable bracket for up and down centering of the Single DIN Radio in the Double DIN 4" hole. With a little work or a decent stereo shop you can surely get a great looking install.
As a side note did you see that they have a dashcam for the unit , virtual surround and or live view cameras? I think I am going to go with the Dash cam. They also have a remote that can strap to the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Current stereo.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	264819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Single DIN.PNG
Views:	25
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	264820  
Old 10-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #17

Quote:
A reviewer had this to say about the ATATO6.

"Also, after trying 3 other Android radios, i got my SiriusXM working with this one. Just so ya know, all you need is a 3.5mm Female to 2RCA Male Stereo Audio Cable and plug it into the AUX Left and Right inputs on this radio and the dash installable XM unit"
That's encouraging. I gave up on Sirius a long time ago. I used to drive 10 hours a week to and from work and after a while it was all repeat. So Amazon Music does what i need. If you go this route good luck and if I can help let me know. But from reading the Forum there are Audiophiles on here that know way way more than me.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #18

Thanks for that info. Yes, I did see the small remote that velcros to the steering wheel.
I know all too well about the SiriusXM repeat problem. Unless I can get SXM for their $99/3yr agreement, its not worth it. I do like a few of their live sports broadcasts and some other talk stuff. I am also looking for a CB. I like yacking on the radio. Travel alone a lot.

Old 10-23-2021, 06:52 PM   #19

Funny, I was looking at CB's last night was going to search here. Never used curious.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #20

I spend about 50% of my nights in rest areas and chat with lots of truckers because they like the M2. Most don't even bother with CB. But I actually like to chat CB. My "handle" is Invisibleman. It gets boring on the road when you are alone (as in the Doors). And, its good info when the weather or traffic gets crappy.

Tags
2021, radio